Page 1 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 4:39 am

There seems to be a huge correlation between folks with autism and being interested in anime, there also seems to be a large amount of people interested in anime with autism myself included! A large percentage of otakus are aspies it just seems fascinating how many are aspies as opposed to being NT! Usually the steriotype of autistics is they like anime or My Little Pony I fit in the anime category and dont care for my little pony but it seems though if your autistic your either an otaku or brony. :roll: Im simply an otaku with asd nothing more nothing less simply because i can relate to the characters an know what they are dealing with and also like the story line!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Dizzee
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jun 2014, 6:41 am

I watch anime but don't consider myself an otaku or a hardcore fan. Btw do you hide from people that you watch it? I only watch anime when I'm alone at home cuz my family members will start mocking me cuz I'm watching "cartoons". Most people in general in my country aren't tolerant regarding things like anime or gaming, they'll tell you to go to work instead of "wasting" time.

Last edited by Dizzee on 26 Jun 2014, 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

DukeJanTheGrey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jun 2014, 6:44 am

I can not abide the stuff if I am to be honest. I find it to be visually disturbing.

Yayoi
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jun 2014, 7:01 am

DukeJanTheGrey wrote:
I can not abide the stuff if I am to be honest. I find it to be visually disturbing.

Agreed. Also, it's a form of fiction, which I can't stand. Used to like it, but that was when I was a child and I've now moved on to other aspects of Asian culture.

Klowglas
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 8:44 am

I would say it's more animation, I myself am not very big on anime anymore, though I was when I was younger, I don't watch modern cartoons, or much anime (although I do keep up with naruto since i started watching that in my mid-early teens, crazy that it's still going). I do like old 90's cartoons though. I and LOVE most animated Disney feature films, in fact disney films are the only movies I regularly watch.

I do still like some of the styles in anime though, love the character in my avatar from the game, silloute mirage, it has such a classy 90's anime intro! http://youtu.be/nI1iuTFKbcM

They just don't make them like that anymore. :cry:

But my obsession with that character is probably really autistic...seriously, I can't help ymself, it's like some invisible force takes over my brain, I can imagine it's these same sections of the brain that lights up with people obsessed with anime or other things.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 9:36 am

Are you sure the correlation is really that strong?

I went to a school where barely anybody had autism, and everyone with little exception was obsessed with anime.

It seems like something everybody enjoys, though I guess you are probably right when you say autistics are more likely to be Otakus.

Acedia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jun 2014, 10:27 am

No I don't like anime, in fact most of so-called geek culture I'm not fond of at all.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 10:38 am

Anime fan here.

Then again, I've always been a fan of animation. Other things I enjoy: comics, building models, collecting action figures, watching horror movies, and video games.

In other words, I have the brain of a ten-year-old boy stuck in the body of a thirty one year old woman.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

michael517
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 10:52 am

I visit a website that has many cartoon shows, including Archer, Futurama, Star Wars: Clone Wars, and one I found Stripperella, but its mostly anime.

And I tried it again last night, I watched the first episode of an anime, I think "Full Metal Alchemist" and at times it wass great, but then there comes this part that seems to happen all the time in anime when someone gets surprised and they over react and they play all these dumb sound effects. I don't know if that is from the dubbing company or if it was in the original. Might still watch it, dunno.

I keep on saying I will get Netflix but I keep on finding stuff to watch for free, or I record broadcast and watch later.

ironboyrory
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Jun 2014, 11:13 am

I've only very recently got into Manga, but I don't get on with Anime that well for some reason (yet). I'd prefer to read the manga versions of shows.

I don't know that theres much correlation between Anime and Autism/Asperger's, but there does seem to be more Autistics who are hardcore Anime fans, which make sense due to special interests and fixations etc. I think thats the same for most interests, there's going to be NT and Autistics alike who engage with them, but in the subset of hardcore fans, it's likely there's more Autistics.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 11:13 am

Dizzee wrote:
I watch anime but don't consider myself an otaku or a hardcore fan. Btw do you hide from people that you watch it? I only watch anime when I'm alone at home cuz my family members will start mocking me cuz I'm watching "cartoons". Most people in general in my country aren't tolerant regarding things like anime or gaming, they'll tell you to go to work instead of "wasting" time.

In the US there is little to no stigma on anime fans. But there are a lot of 'crazy people' in the scene.

[quote="michael517"there comes this part that seems to happen all the time in anime when someone gets surprised and they over react and they play all these dumb sound effects. I don't know if that is from the dubbing company or if it was in the original. Might still watch it, dunno.[/quote]

It's in the original.

I'm guessing you're watching Brotherhood. The "original" FMA anime was less chibified/exxagerated overreactions.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 1:50 pm

Acedia wrote:
No I don't like anime, in fact most of so-called geek culture I'm not fond of at all.

I don't like anime either but I was going to say that it's a part of geek culture, so for a sub-set of the general population manga and anime are very popular, a trend right now.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 1:53 pm

I hate anime.

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jun 2014, 4:03 pm

I don't think there is any correlation between anime and autism and I don't think that autistics are more likely to be otakus.
Almost all my friends are obsessed with anime. None of them has AS traits.
One is dyslexic. Two of them have depression. Three of them are NTs (maybe weird or introverted but nothing related to AS, not even a little).
It is a stereotype to me.
If there are so many autistic-like characters in anime, it's just because at the moment autism is the new trend and it is considered "cool". Just take a look at the anime of 20 or 15 years ago. There are almost no characters with ASD traits. But many of them seem to be bipolar or borderline. That was the trend at the time.

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 4:12 pm

Semi into a few, but not exactly a 'fan'

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 9:01 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
I hate anime.

Most of the autistic people I know adore it. Including me. :?