Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

snufkin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jun 2014, 8:45 pm

I just started doing mediyoga (based on hatha yoga, but prescribed by a "professional"), and I'm supposed to do a certain routine every day for 40 days.

The thing is I've encountered a problem when it comes to deep breathing (which is the most important part). I also encountered the same problem when I was at the hospital, scanning my thyroid (which demanded that I lay still for a long time, doing nothing).

The problem is that sometimes, if I focus on my breathing for a longer period of time, I will start to feel the breath in my stomach to the point that it's uncomfortable. At that point it gets worse for every breath, and starts to spread throughout the body. I'm put in a situation where breathing is so uncomfortable it's almost unbearable, and I have nowhere to go. It also triggers my restless leg syndrome, and similar sensations in my fingers. Finally my whole body is just tingling with this strange sensation and it's horrible. I can't make it stop, and have nowhere to go.

Has anyone else had this problem, know what could cause it, or what one could do about it?

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2014, 8:52 pm

you may be hyperventilating, which causes tingling sensations. try breathing much more slowly when you breath deeply.

snufkin

29 Jun 2014, 8:59 pm

cathylynn wrote:
you may be hyperventilating, which causes tingling sensations. try breathing much more slowly when you breath deeply.

That's not what causes the problem. What I'm feeling is the stretching and contracting of the diaphragm as I'm breathing in and out, and sometimes i feel it so much that I can't take it. It's a very strange and unwelcome feeling.

Although since this makes me panic, it also makes me hyperventilate, which might cause the tingling sensations in the rest of the body.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2014, 9:31 pm

I feel something like this too, and when I lie down it often feels like my hips are tearing my body in half.

NicholasName
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jun 2014, 10:49 pm

Sounds like interoceptive hypersensitivity.
http://spdlife.org/aboutspd/senses/interoception.html

LookingLost
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2014, 6:25 am

I think I feel something similar. I just try to avoid activities that involve concentrating on breathing, but I know that wouldn't be helpful for you, sorry.