Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

SorriorDragneel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jul 2014, 5:23 am

So i was wondeirng if anyone else here has had this expeirence where a fellow person with Aspergers just "feels" like they have it.. Myself and several of my friends with i agree we just get this "feeling" almost like a sixth sense when someone has aspergers and i was wondering how many people here have had this happen or know of it.

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 7:28 am

yeah I get that, I am not diagnosed myself, but I do seem to be drawn to people who share my traits automatically. The people I get on with the most I feel probably are on the spectrum or borderline.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 8:21 am

Birds of a feather, and all that.

Humans-- even autistic humans-- are social animals. We're wired, somehow, to have the ability to seek out those with whom we might be able to form a "troupe."

Seems pretty simple to me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 8:25 am

I frequently feel Aspergian when I'm around a crowd of people whom I'm supposed to be socializing with.

I also act Aspergian, in the sense of withdrawing to a different room (hopefully, with tablet in tow).

b_edward
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jul 2014, 9:18 am

Don't forget the fact that many of us were trying to figure out what was wrong with us as far back as 4 to 6 years old.

I remember being 6 and being introduced to someone with Down Syndrome. I remember doing a serious evaluation of myself to see if that was what why I felt so different from everybody else. I concluded it obviously wasn't the case. But still wondered why I was so different.

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 11:01 am

I always know when someone is on the spectrum, even if they don't know it. :o

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 1:05 pm

Ya! I know that feeling. You flunk kindergarten and your mother cries. Ya! that was the first time I felt that felling and I'll will never forget that day ether.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 1:17 pm

Girlwithaspergers wrote:
I always know when someone is on the spectrum, even if they don't know it. :o

There's a few around my work who are so overtly aspie (more so than me - and I'm very much an aspie) and they have no clue that they are. No clue. NONE..... 8O

SorriorDragneel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jul 2014, 4:10 pm

b_edward wrote:
Don't forget the fact that many of us were trying to figure out what was wrong with us as far back as 4 to 6 years old.

I remember being 6 and being introduced to someone with Down Syndrome. I remember doing a serious evaluation of myself to see if that was what why I felt so different from everybody else. I concluded it obviously wasn't the case. But still wondered why I was so different.

Was 12 here...And yeah I still do that...Kinda sucks..

And I am glad to hear others do it too...Anyone else ever notoce how we seem to be ALOT like Newtypes from the Gundam Universal Century timeline?

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2014, 4:14 am

I "flunked kindergarten" too, but I think, I was 9, when I had the first feeling of being different, lacking something, but I still regarded it as my own moral problem, and my weight problem overshadowed everything else. I was more like 12, when I started feeling metally different from the others.
Of course, I haven´t known why before now.
I seem to find aspieish friends by radar, - and vice versa.

Last edited by Jensen on 05 Jul 2014, 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2014, 5:13 am

I don't "feel" it, but just by analyzing other people's behaviors and the things they say, I can sort of determine if they're aspie or NT. I only really started doing it recently though, after I joined this site and started taking more of an interest in my own condition. I mean, I had an interest in Autism Spectrum Disorders before I joined WP, and "armchair psychology" as a whole, but it wasn't until I joined this site and compared my own experiences to those of other members on here that I really started to understand my condition on a deeper level. This deeper understanding is what allows me to have "aspie-dar"; sort of like "gaydar", but for Aspergers. I know it sounds kind of crude, but that's the best analogy I can come up with.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2014, 10:27 pm

It wasn't until I was in my late teens that I started to wonder if I might be different; I came across a book on Asperger's at the book store one day and, true to my love of psychology, decided to take a look. I was surprised and rather unnerved to see how many of the symptoms fit me, but didn't give it much more thought until my mother told me when I was seventeen that she'd considered the possibility of my having autism for a long time. Even after that, it still took me almost a year to do any real research on it, and finally, three years later, to get diagnosed. Looking back on my childhood now though, it's blatantly obvious how different and comparatively strange I was. I didn't have the self-awareness to notice it back then, but it's clear now; I just wish others, like my teachers, had seen it.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!