Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 11:50 am

Does anyone else constantly feel like with every interaction, they are literally giving away a piece of themselves to someone else? And after there is nothing else, they have to "recharge" to gain it back? And very rarely is the conversation reciprocal? That rarely does the other person give a piece of themselves to us?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 11:58 am

most of the time i feel the opposite way.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

b_edward
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jul 2014, 12:12 pm

I think that is part of being an introvert. For introverts, even if we are not shy, social interactions drain us. For extroverts it is more like social interactions do the opposite for them.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 12:54 pm

nyxjord wrote:
Does anyone else constantly feel like with every interaction, they are literally giving away a piece of themselves to someone else? And after there is nothing else, they have to "recharge" to gain it back? And very rarely is the conversation reciprocal? That rarely does the other person give a piece of themselves to us?

Yes - very much so. I agree that it's an introvert thing as well.

I do better when I remember that there is only so much of me to go around and that I need to keep some for myself. I used to think that keeping some for myself was selfish. My psychologist made a point of making me understand that not only is it not selfish to think that way, but that it is both healthy and necessary. I was taught "you put your oxygen mask on first before helping others on with their mask" - that is, you can only help others when you're in a good place.