Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2014, 9:16 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
Matt Smith was too whimsical and less grounded than the previous Doctors.

Previous Doctors weren't always so grounded either. Think of Patrick Troughton. Or consider Tom Baker. He started off as very dark and serious but got lighter and sillier and less grounded as the show went on. Or Sylvester McCoy. He started of being lighter and sillier and got darker and more serious as his arc went on, before being cut abruptly short.

icedz234
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jul 2014, 7:37 pm

I love doctor who!! !! !! ! :) I discovered it from a old work friend, I rarely watch tv anymore too busy :( but the whole show has shown me a lot , after I finished watching the 9th doctor, not going to lie but i shed a man tear , I would like to find the classic ones as well and get me a dalek little action figure to hang in my music studio

brackets
Raven
Raven

19 Jul 2014, 3:36 am

I used to be really into Doctor Who (as in "special interest" into), but I've found I can't stand the current state of the show. I'll probably go back to watching when Capaldi comes in, but I likely won't watch regularly until Steven Moffat leaves, and who knows when that'll be.

RubyWings91
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jul 2014, 9:07 pm

I have known Doctor Who exists for a few years now but only became really interested in it a few months ago. I've watched a large portion of the episodes in the new series and plan to start finding and watching classic series episodes soon. My little brother also took an interest in it after watching a few episodes with me.

Liz86
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Jul 2014, 11:40 am

Absolutely. Although I am an extremely late comer to the series -- I have been binge-watching over the past few months. I wish I'd gotten into it much earlier, because I would have loved it as a kid.

JuliaBoon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jul 2014, 9:53 pm

I'm a huge Doctor Who fan, although relatively new to the show I've seen every episode of the 2005 reboot and am working my way through Classic Who!
The last episode I watched was The Hand of Fear (although I have seen farther!)

I watch on cable so I'm slowly watching the Matt Smith ones, the last 11th I watched was the Curse of the Black Spot!

My mom and me and big fans! We're even knitting a Tom Baker scarf! I've made a TARDIS out of clay and have created Doctor woollywogs!

Would you like a jelly baby, because Bow ties are cool...Allonsy!! !

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2014, 9:12 am

Two of my best friends are into Doctor Who. One of them got me more into it and I got my other best friend into it. My ex girlfriend is the one that originally got me into the series. With all the bs my ex put me through, it was worth it just to discover Doctor Who lol. I'm glad they are choosing an older Doctor this time. I think Capaldi is going to do a fantastic job. David Tennant and Matt Smith both did a phenomenal job. Having an older Doctor however, will ween out the fake Doctor Who "OMG he's so cute." fan girls.

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2014, 12:38 pm

I am a half-fan of Doctor Who. I don't watch it all the time, but it's OK. I am on Series 4 with David Tennant and the one who plays Donna Noble.

brackets
Raven
Raven

25 Jul 2014, 1:35 pm

CommanderKeen wrote:
Having an older Doctor however, will ween out the fake Doctor Who "OMG he's so cute." fan girls.

A) The "fake geek girl" thing guys do needs to die out immediately.
B) You obviously don't know much about women (or really, anyone who's attracted to men) if you don't think they're going to find Capaldi attractive.

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2014, 9:36 pm

brackets wrote:
CommanderKeen wrote:
Having an older Doctor however, will ween out the fake Doctor Who "OMG he's so cute." fan girls.

B) You obviously don't know much about women (or really, anyone who's attracted to men) if you don't think they're going to find Capaldi attractive.

Wow, just wow at what you said. Of course there is going to be women who find Capaldi attractive, but for you to think that there aren't fake fan girls out there, is just disillusion. I have talked to 5 girls, that all said they only watched Doctor Who because of Tennant and Smith and "They don't know how they feel about Capaldi." I find a lot of the female companions attractive, but I am a fan of the show first, before I am a fan of the actors. In fact my ex girlfriend is even one of those girls, that might not watch the show since the new Doctor is an older gentlemen. I removed my last sentence on this, because I don't know if you were trying to insult me, or not. Sometimes I forgot I'm on an aspergers forum a lot of times things can be misinterpreted.

Margil
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Aug 2014, 12:50 pm

CommanderKeen wrote:
brackets wrote:
CommanderKeen wrote:

Wow, just wow at what you said. Of course there is going to be women who find Capaldi attractive, but for you to think that there aren't fake fan girls out there, is just disillusion. I have talked to 5 girls, that all said they only watched Doctor Who because of Tennant and Smith and "They don't know how they feel about Capaldi." I find a lot of the female companions attractive, but I am a fan of the show first, before I am a fan of the actors. In fact my ex girlfriend is even one of those girls, that might not watch the show since the new Doctor is an older gentlemen. I removed my last sentence on this, because I don't know if you were trying to insult me, or not. Sometimes I forgot I'm on an aspergers forum a lot of times things can be misinterpreted.

CommanderKeen, I agree that there are fake Doctor Who fan girls out there but the way you came across in your post seemed to generalise all female Whovians as people who only watch the show because they find the lead actor attractive. I have a fandom account on Twitter and I've seen hundreds of girls flailing over Peter Capaldi and even the people who don't find him attractive are still excited to see what he can bring to the role. I'm pretty sure brackets wasn't trying to insult you, just trying to make a similar point.
I do agree with you that there are fake Whovians out there though.
I hope I'm not coming across as rude in my post. If I am I don't mean it. :oops:

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2014, 6:09 pm

Margil wrote:
CommanderKeen wrote:
brackets wrote:
CommanderKeen wrote:

CommanderKeen, I agree that there are fake Doctor Who fan girls out there but the way you came across in your post seemed to generalise all female Whovians as people who only watch the show because they find the lead actor attractive. I have a fandom account on Twitter and I've seen hundreds of girls flailing over Peter Capaldi and even the people who don't find him attractive are still excited to see what he can bring to the role. I'm pretty sure brackets wasn't trying to insult you, just trying to make a similar point.
I do agree with you that there are fake Whovians out there though.
I hope I'm not coming across as rude in my post. If I am I don't mean it. :oops:

That's not how I was trying to come across, which is why I stated "Having an older Doctor however, will ween out the fake Doctor Who "OMG he's so cute." fan girls." using the world fake to distinguish between the real fans and fake fans. I'd ask to join you fandom account, but I don't have twitter. By the way, you weren't coming off rude at all, so no worries. 8)

whovian42
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Aug 2014, 12:13 pm

I love Doctor Who :D

I can't wait for Peter Capaldi, I think since he is an actual fan (much like David Tennant) he will have a better understanding of the role than Matt Smith. Matt was much more of a Sylvester McCoy style doctor with the puppy-like behaviour going through to a more grounded character at the end of his regeneration.

Don't get me wrong - I love both Sylvester and Matt and was fangirling shamelessly with my friend at the 50th anniversary convention in London, but David Tennant and Tom Baker are my favorites (from the re-boot and classic series respectively, I don't feel that its fair to compare re-boot with classic. It is still the same series but so much has changed that it may as well be considered a different series, like in Star Trek - there are several series each with their own separate seasons.)

I notice that quite a few people have avoided the last couple of seasons due to Stephen Moffat's involvement. I personally think that Stephen Moffat was needed because although Russel T Davies was wonderful with David, he would not have suited Matt at all. I think that Matt did an admirable job in following David who most of the fans of the show that I know thought could never be followed.

Sorry for the essay but fantasy and sci-fi is my passion! :D

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 5:17 am

whovian42 wrote:
I love Doctor Who :D

I can't wait for Peter Capaldi, I think since he is an actual fan (much like David Tennant) he will have a better understanding of the role than Matt Smith. Matt was much more of a Sylvester McCoy style doctor with the puppy-like behaviour going through to a more grounded character at the end of his regeneration.

Don't get me wrong - I love both Sylvester and Matt and was fangirling shamelessly with my friend at the 50th anniversary convention in London, but David Tennant and Tom Baker are my favorites (from the re-boot and classic series respectively, I don't feel that its fair to compare re-boot with classic. It is still the same series but so much has changed that it may as well be considered a different series, like in Star Trek - there are several series each with their own separate seasons.)

I notice that quite a few people have avoided the last couple of seasons due to Stephen Moffat's involvement. I personally think that Stephen Moffat was needed because although Russel T Davies was wonderful with David, he would not have suited Matt at all. I think that Matt did an admirable job in following David who most of the fans of the show that I know thought could never be followed.

Sorry for the essay but fantasy and sci-fi is my passion! :D

I quite enjoyed reading that. It's always nice to find someone passionate about the series. :)

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 1:09 pm

New and old, yes. Some people seem to really dislike 11, though.

BlankCanvas
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2014, 5:27 pm

downbutnotout wrote:
New and old, yes. Some people seem to really dislike 11, though.

I personally don't think it's all down to Matt Smith, but rather, the general self-serving, self-referential direction the series took with Matt Smith's tenure.

It didn't help that the series went with a very long complicated plot with River Swan, the Intelligence, Clara-Oswin, the 50th anniversary suddenly referring to David Tennant and Billie Piper's time, etc, etc and the show (ove here at least) was broken into 'parts', making it quite difficult to follow.

I'm praying that things get far more grounded with Peter Calpradi, and the whole romance/overly complicated "timey-wimey" stuff synonmous with Matt Smith's era remains a memory.

I really do want to get back into Dr Who, but I'm concerned that Steven Moffat isn't giving the series his best direction -- we all saw what happened when he went off to write for Speilbeg's Tintin adaptation. And furthermore, Sherlock...

Still, fingers crossed eh?