Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

hybrid
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jul 2014, 5:03 pm

Sometimes (maybe once or a few times a month) I get a burst of anger. Something small may set me off - something not going my way, annoying talking nearby, ...

Then I yell at people for no reason, making a general fool for myself, and ruining the atmosphere for me, my friends, or my coworkers.

-Could this be related to my Asperger, or does Asperger not include anger?
-What can be done to prevent it? If not angry, I know I shouldn't. But if it happens, it's so sudden and uncontrollable!! !

Thank you

Awiddershinlife
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jul 2014, 5:12 pm

hybrid wrote:
Sometimes (maybe once or a few times a month) I get a burst of anger. Something small may set me off - something not going my way, annoying talking nearby, ...

Then I yell at people for no reason, making a general fool for myself, and ruining the atmosphere for me, my friends, or my coworkers.

-What can be done to prevent it? If not angry, I know I shouldn't. But if it happens, it's so sudden and uncontrollable!! !

Thank you

I can become irritable when stressed. The the "straw that broke the camel's back" - something insignificant - will set me off. Sometime a sensory thing that I am not always aware of (hum of technology) will get me so tense that I blow b/c of an added stress.

Saphie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jul 2014, 6:35 pm

its usually sensory things for me too.
i dont know anyway to control it, mainly because it lacks the stage of the concious mind. where one is able to process it before acting on it. for me, its like im tolerating mild things, and then BAM it happens and i am only aware prior and after i snapped. (it also happens when i try to get to myself to calm down, and people see "leave me alone" as to mean "im in distress, please come make me talk to you and interact with you".) the words that come out in these moments are very direct, "shut up", "stop", "i said(snaps) leave me alone", "go away", "no" , and then i cry and run off (if im not cornered). if i am cornered, i usually drop to the ground and cry while taking out the overwhelming frustrations out on myself. but when i snap, its just too sudden for me to even catch it before it happens. its like a surge of adrenilan with the "flight or fight" body responses.
however, when im on the right stimulant and the right doseing that happens a lot more less. but its uncomfortable when it happens and my system catches it before it snaps. (kind of like how a hiccup feels when its coming on, but them it sudden dissapears.

when i was younger instead of words, it was growls with anger type of scream growls.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2014, 10:44 pm

Yeah, it's probably your autism. Since we have strong feelings and don't know how to communicate through the usual social channels, we tend to bottle it all up until we totally explode. I used to have these sorts of melt-downs all the time.

Learning to be more assertive on the front-end usually helps, since you get more control. More control means less anger.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2014, 7:09 am

I get that. I try to stay as reserved as possible until I get away from other people. I don't like having angry outbursts alone, but it has less severe consequences than blowing up at other people. Learning to monitor my moods has helped some.

AspieTurtle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jul 2014, 11:42 am

Until I finally figured out it was ASP and got my official DX I was getting into big trouble at work with anger outbursts and meltdowns. Because I am high functioning and also have PTSD my therapist of 4 years (who is not trained in ASP) missed this. Nothing I was doing for PTSD was helping with the outbursts of anger. My PTSD work did help with outbursts from emotional triggers though. I was able to logically step through the trigger and realize why I was feeling stuff.

But the problem was when I would experience overload and just crash. I have been to HR and written up more times than I could count. Thankfully I am great at my IT job (thanks to being on the spectrum I believe), so HR did not want to fire me. Just threats.

Now I can feel when I am getting too overloaded and I just leave the area.

kaiouti
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jul 2014, 6:41 pm

AspieTurtle wrote:
...Thankfully I am great at my IT job...

what kind of IT job may I ask, I think I need to get into some sort of computer work, would probably be healthy :P

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2014, 10:27 pm

People are more sensitive to my tiny, suppressed, flares of rage than I'd imagined. I don't know if I've gotten worse at hiding my reactions, or if I've started paying better attention to other people lately. It's been at times when I think a reasonable person might have expected a bit of annoyance (at least).

Awiddershinlife
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jul 2014, 3:33 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
People are more sensitive to my tiny, suppressed, flares of rage than I'd imagined. I don't know if I've gotten worse at hiding my reactions, or if I've started paying better attention to other people lately. It's been at times when I think a reasonable person might have expected a bit of annoyance (at least).

Oh yes, that conundrum.... :roll:

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2014, 4:53 pm

I get days/moments when I am just angry for no good reason, with me I think its either hunger (I forget to eat or I don't recognise hunger) or its a hormonal thing. Or if someone is giving me a decision to make that's not an easy one.

ElsaFlowers
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jul 2014, 1:41 am

Awiddershinlife wrote:
hybrid wrote:

Thank you

I can become irritable when stressed. The the "straw that broke the camel's back" - something insignificant - will set me off. Sometime a sensory thing that I am not always aware of (hum of technology) will get me so tense that I blow b/c of an added stress.

I'm like this too. I often get stressed when I've had to deal with too many overwhelming situations. After this happens I need to spend some time alone in peace and quite, preferably in my bedroom which is my calm place, unless there are some annoying kids outside making noise. If I can't get to do this for whatever reason I will eventually snap.