Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

RadioHead
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Apr 2005, 9:30 am

I heard alot of aspies are good runners, but unfortunately I am not. If I try hard, the most I can do is 2.4km in 14 minutes, which is rather bad according to school standards.

Anyway, I'm thinking of starting an excercis routine to cut down to 2.4km in 12 minutes. How should I go about doing it? Like planning my routines and other stuff. Also how long would this take?

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2005, 8:18 pm

I'm no expert, but what I started doing was 1 hour of running/walking 3 times a week. I'd start out at a pace that felt like I could sustain for about 5 minutes, then speedwalk for 5 mins, and keep switching back and forth like that for the whole hour. Over time I started cranking up both running speed and distance before switching to speedwalking. After about 8 months I stopped needing the speedwalking breaks at all.

TheWhale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 May 2005, 5:43 am

RadioHead wrote:
I heard alot of aspies are good runners, but unfortunately I am not. If I try hard, the most I can do is 2.4km in 14 minutes, which is rather bad according to school standards.

Anyway, I'm thinking of starting an excercis routine to cut down to 2.4km in 12 minutes. How should I go about doing it? Like planning my routines and other stuff. Also how long would this take?

Radiohead, first thing is to assess yourself physically. If you are overweight, changing that will improve your time drastically. You also can go to a good running shoe store and have them look at your running stride. If you have any mechanical flaws, they can help you there.

As far as training goes, don't increase your distance more than ten percent a week. Stay off the pavement. Find a nice, safe park or other area to run where the surface doesn't kill your feet.

There are lots of good books on running. I think you can reach your goal sooner than you think.

Jerry Newport

MrMeaner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 May 2005, 11:48 am

i was a good runner back in high school, but nowadays it seems the only running i do is when i'm running out of patience or some thought is running through my mind

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2005, 11:55 am

I can run relativly fast......... but thats more cause my college is like an exercise in sports just to get around it.

TheWhale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 May 2005, 9:05 pm

Footnote on running: I know of three aspies in L.A. who qualified for the Boston Marathon with times of 2:36, 2:40 and 3:02. That's hours and minutes of course. The 3:02 was run by Chris Craig, who became the youngest aspie in the USA to become a licensed, practicing psychologist.

Jerry Newport

alex
Developer
Developer

04 May 2005, 9:37 pm

I run on the treadmill whenever I'm watching TV. I can go up to 10 miles per hour on the treadmill (thats as far as it will move).

Rakkety_Tamm
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2005, 7:01 pm

Breath through your nose when your running, and don't flatten your feet, run on the balls of your feet.

KingChaosNinja
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 May 2005, 9:14 pm

Running is simple. One foot in front of the other as fast as you can. :lol:

Now running and doing handsprings off of carr hoods and climbing fences I could give advice on.

*I picked this username 4 years ago when I was in high school. Don't hold it against me.

TheWhale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 May 2005, 7:19 am

KingChaosNinja wrote:
Running is simple. One foot in front of the other as fast as you can. :lol:

That is fine as long as you don't intend to get any better at it.

Jerry

Now running and doing handsprings off of carr hoods and climbing fences I could give advice on.

If you are good at that, try the 3000m steeplechase!!

Jerry