Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Duckclock
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Nov 2014, 10:22 am

Hello! I have been diagnosed with Aspergers. I haven?t told anyone yet. I am bad at talking about myself.

Why is it good to talk about yourself with people?
How do I tell people about things that are not ?what movies I like??
If I say something sad; won?t the person get sad, and then I?ll be a bad person?
Is this a normal problem?

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 10:56 am

People don't seem to mind it if you keep answers short. If it's an involved discussion, there has to be equal input from both parties. Ask questions about their opinions.

:)

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2014, 1:30 pm

I often find it hard to talk about myself when people ask me what I did recently or what I'm planning to do. Mainly because I barely ever do anything. I also find it hard to talk to people who give me non-answers and keep asking me questions. It's boring and exhausting.

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2014, 8:52 pm

Generally, if you let the other person talk about themselves the same amount that you talk about yourself, you shouldn't have an issue

noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Nov 2014, 11:15 pm

I've only told my parents and a few close friends about my diagnosis (except for people on here (because it's anonymous)). I find it hard to balance out conversations, but that is the key, like others have posted.

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 10:12 am

Sad topics are a bit hard to handle... unless you know them a little, I think it's best to play it safe. Some people really don't like talking about negative things in the news or unpleasant life experiences, but others find it interesting and can be supportive if you're going through a hard time. Bad news sells for a reason, though.

As for making people sad, bad people do it deliberately because they enjoy making others uncomfortable or because there's something in it for them.

noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Nov 2014, 11:29 am

downbutnotout wrote:
Sad topics are a bit hard to handle... unless you know them a little, I think it's best to play it safe. Some people really don't like talking about negative things in the news or unpleasant life experiences, but others find it interesting and can be supportive if you're going through a hard time. Bad news sells for a reason, though.

As for making people sad, bad people do it deliberately because they enjoy making others uncomfortable or because there's something in it for them.

I agree. I have never had much success talking about sad things unless the person I'm talking to has or is going through the same thing.