Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 1:37 pm

I want to be relentless about this

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 4:24 pm

I wouldn't say it's easy, but as someone who has autistic disorder... I have managed to find the most amazing boyfriend. He does have slight OCD and possible anxiety issues, but he's gotten so much better at managing his anxiety. He's NT, but he is very supportive and accepting of my autism and other special needs. I love him so much, and I can't imagine my life without him. <3

The best thing you could do is try going on places like E-Harmony and see what you can get. I was just lucky enough to meet my boyfriend through an anime voice actor's page. We became fast friends and before we knew it, we were going out (Then s**t hit the fan yada yada we met up again and all was well with us once more). It also depends on the severity of your condition as well. For me, I'm only mildly affected by autism. I do have a hard time with being affectionate towards him, but I really do try to show him how much I love him.

Thing is, you have to realize your disadvantages too. It will take a while to find the right person, and things won't happen overnight. It took me a while before I found the person I'm with right now.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 4:27 pm

I never would have though of that.

Did this person live far away, at first?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 5:32 pm

My ex-GF was an NT. I broke up with her because she was being a pain-in-the-neck. :x

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 6:42 pm

I did once (fluked it) and then f#%&ed it up. That was my one and only in 47 years.

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 12:14 pm

for me it doesn't matter if a girl is an Aspie or an NT

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 12:34 pm

I don't think anyone can "get" or "acquire" a girlfriend. When you have a girlfriend, you don't "get" her like an object, you become partners.

Evil_Chuck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Nov 2014, 10:09 am

That's a good question. I've only had two serious girlfriends in my life, and while neither was autistic, I'm not sure that they were NT either. Both of them had other significant issues. Actually, I can say the same for almost every girl I've been romantically involved with. I seem to gravitate toward those women subconsciously.

It began to seriously freak me out after a while. I guess that's one of the reasons I'm not looking for a partner anymore. :?

FUNNY DEATH METAL LYRICS OF THE WEEK: 'DEMON'S WIND' BY VADER
Clammy frog descends
Demon's wind, the stars answer your desire
Join the undead, that's the place you'll never leave
You wanna die... but death cannot do us apart...

maddycakes__
Raven
Raven

15 Nov 2014, 4:26 pm

I'm not male, and I don't have a solid diagnosis but I'm in the process of being screened soon and me and my husband both think it is likely that I'm on the spectrum. My husband on the other hand is about as NT as you can get. Yet we are very happy together.

Blender
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Nov 2014, 5:00 pm

I am married to an NT woman. It takes me a long time to get comfortable enough with a new person just to be friends, let alone date. When my wife and I first started dating, I was terrified. When I have anxiety about a thing, I deal with it by learning as much as I can about it. Over the years I have read as much as I could on dating, social etiquette and manners. Web sites, magazines, etc. Having knowledge helped enough with my confidence to help me manage the fear. After the first couple of dates, the fear starts to subside. Once the fear starts to go away you can open up a bit and let the relationship develop. Practice, practice, practice. I had many failures before I met her, but I kept trying, and I got better at it. I had twenty years of that sort of practice before I met my wife, and I was still scared.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 2:45 pm

ya I also hate how guys have to be the initiators because I never learned that when I was a teenager, it was never common sense for me to know how to approach and talk to women in order to create attraction with them