Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

verticalmum
Raven
Raven

15 Nov 2014, 7:59 pm

Hi ,
just wondering if anyone has tried lovan for anxiety in their child. My son is 9 and is having really bad separation, social and school anxiety. We have /are trying a psyc , but no change in his anxiety.
Any comments/input would be appreciated.
Thank you,
verticalmum.

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 8:35 pm

I really dont think giving drugs to a 9yr old is the solution.
I have taken anti-depressants before and they do have an intoxicating effect, They are not merely things that put your brain chemicals back in working order.

His anxiety could be dealt with, with cognitive therapy. Make sure there is no real reason for his seperation anxiety e.g. bullying or abuse.

WelcomeToHolland
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 10:08 pm

I haven't, however I just googled it, and it doesn't say that it's for anxiety, AND anxiety worrying are side effects... So personally I'd be looking further into this and asking questions to the dr because that doesn't seem right to me.

verticalmum
Raven
Raven

16 Nov 2014, 11:15 pm

Thank you for your thoughts, Im not sure on it either. His anxiety is a combination of school being too overwhelming, and my recent battle with breast cancer.
He has and continues to have psyc on a weekly basis, but he is getting worse.
Thanks.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 1:51 am

verticalmum wrote:
Thank you for your thoughts, Im not sure on it either. His anxiety is a combination of school being too overwhelming, and my recent battle with breast cancer.
He has and continues to have psyc on a weekly basis, but he is getting worse.
Thanks.

I think you just answered your own question. The anxiety is environmentally based. He's overwhelmed at school, and your recent bout with breast cancer just made all the more anxious. I personally don't think medication will resolve the issue, other than masking the anxiety. I'd be finding a child psychologist to work on the issue, rather than seeing a psychiatrist. It might be a good idea for you to comfort your child, by reassuring him that your cancer is in remission.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 5:42 am

My 9yr old daughter is on 5mg/day of Lovan from when she was 6 and it does help with her anxiety and reduces her meltdowns. I don't know what the long term impact is?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 5:44 am

My 9yr old daughter is on 5mg/day of Lovan from when she was 6 and it does help with her anxiety and reduces her meltdowns. I don't know what the long term impact is?

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 12:11 pm

make sure you take your kids off wheat, as it causes anxiety.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 12:39 pm

I'll be in the minority, and say try the Lovan. I had severe anxiety and/or depression as a child, with nothing but useless advice like "calm down!", "just relax!", and "stop whining!" to help. I would have sold my soul for some pills that would make me feel better. There are simply times where words/talk therapy won't do jack, because the situation is bad enough to get to that point. Just like how the defunct Space Shuttle needed booster rockets to each the edge of the Earth's atmosphere, because the air resistance is too high for its own engines to work effectively.

I did have a stint with Ritalin at age 11, but it made me suicidally depressed, so my parents had to stop it, after they found some suicide plan diagrams in my desk. Pretty "nice" ones too, resembling a morbid hybrid of a process flowchart and an electric circuit map.

I had two stints with psychoactive meds as an adult. First time, two years ago, when a job was destroying me psychologically, and I had to be put on pills on an emergency basis. It worked wonders, and let me pull myself together enough to sue the company and win. Second time, just this month, when I was consciously sedated on an IV for surgery. It was so effective, I actually had a good time in the emergency room; imagine that! Heck, I felt good enough, despite being in pain, to make chemistry jokes with the ER staff, about the fluids were putting in me. All thanks to medicine! I feel bad for children in general, who are barred from great painkillers, physical and mental, simply because of their age, and instead have to feel pain "full strength". I know I did.

But I digress. My point is that sometimes, you need that boost that only medications can provide. Like the Space Shuttle's boosters rockets being better-equipped to fly through the atmosphere than its own engines (which are meant for low-Earth orbits). Especially considering that most talk therapies are flat-out harmful for aspies. They consist of being grilled about feelings and not being believed when giving your honest answers.