Here's how to make WP less bright (works in Chrome and FF)

Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2014, 7:19 pm

dianthus wrote:
Can someone do this for IE as well? I don't know how.

I tried to find an extension like Stylish for Internet Explorer but I couldn't find anything, I don't think there is one. So unfortunately it seems there's no easy way to do this for Internet Explorer :(

- Sherlock Holmes

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2014, 8:41 pm

L_Holmes wrote:
dianthus wrote:

I tried to find an extension like Stylish for Internet Explorer but I couldn't find anything, I don't think there is one. So unfortunately it seems there's no easy way to do this for Internet Explorer :(

Thank you.

There is a way to use a CSS in IE (under Internet Options > General > Accessibility) but I don't know how to create a file to do that. Seems like someone more tech-savvy than me could figure this out? It's probably not complicated, I just have no clue how to do these things.

I'm using f.lux on the darkest setting, and it does help, but it's still too bright for me.

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 5:44 pm

I've added a few layout tweaks to reduce the vertical space used. This is a bit more risky than the colour changes, but in my brief testing it seems OK. Post here if it messes up the layout for you (ie. it's OK without the custom style, but broken with it).

This update also increases the width of the post subject/topic title textbox and makes the signatures slightly transparent to help distinguish them from the posts themselves.

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 6:54 pm

I also moved the New Topic button to the right, because I kept confusing it with Post Reply. :)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 11:08 pm

Thank you for this. The only issue I have the text on the options row is quite fuzzy.

Note : Use stylish to not only add the original like WP theme but there are options number of other themes for WP and a whole lot of other websites. You can create your own themes. Just click the "S" upper right

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 1:15 am

dianthus wrote:
L_Holmes wrote:
dianthus wrote:

Thank you.

There is a way to use a CSS in IE (under Internet Options > General > Accessibility) but I don't know how to create a file to do that. Seems like someone more tech-savvy than me could figure this out? It's probably not complicated, I just have no clue how to do these things.

I'm using f.lux on the darkest setting, and it does help, but it's still too bright for me.

I did look into that, it seems that it would be a bit flawed in that IE would be using that CSS file for EVERY website you went to. That doesn't necessarily mean it would affect anything other than WP, it just depends on how it's written I believe.

I tried to figure out how to get it to work but was unsuccessful :( I have some knowledge of HTML and CSS, but I guess not enough to figure this out.

- Sherlock Holmes

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 1:34 am

it's pretty good, but I've noticed that some of the text is in a glowing, dark blue that's kind of distracting, particularly the "Forums, Videos, Friends & Relationships, etc." buttons at top, and the thread title when you're reading or replying to a thread.

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 4:56 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
it's pretty good, but I've noticed that some of the text is in a glowing, dark blue that's kind of distracting, particularly the "Forums, Videos, Friends & Relationships, etc." buttons at top, and the thread title when you're reading or replying to a thread.

I've made the nav menu text very light blue (near white), but the thread title when replying is a standard "hyperlink blue". I tried to find a better colour for it, but can't find one that works for other links (eg. thread titles in a forum listing). Feel free to experiment with it yourself and post if you find something that works.

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 4:26 pm

Thanks FMX. I appreciate the work you've put into this. I'd have looked into doing something similar, but now I don't have to :p

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

01 Dec 2014, 12:48 am

dianthus wrote:

Internet Explorer is a rather flawed browser and doesn't handle extensions well. Chrome and FireFox are much better alternatives if you're willing to make a change.

To the OP: This is much nicer! Thank you for that. :D

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 4:16 am

I found the layout of the "Reply to PM" page was broken and updated the style to fix that.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 12:59 pm

FMX: This is a wonderful thing that you did. I especially like that you switched-back the "Post Reply" and "New Topic" buttons!! !!

I can't, however, make it work. When I click on "Install with Stylish", nothing happens. I downloaded Stylish, but I didn't see where it said "Install". Does it install automatically? I can't even find it in a search of my hard drive. I searched for it thinking I had to, maybe, click on a .exe file, or something. Thinking, then, that it must not have downloaded properly, or something, I downloaded it again----same result----I can't find it anywhere. Do you know of anything else that might be preventing the download / install of YOUR code (assuming "Stylish" DID install)???

Java Script is enabled.

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 1:49 pm

Go to https://userstyles.org/styles/90807/wro ... olor-fixes and see what the blue or green box on the right of the page says:

*) If it says Style installed! or Update with Stylish then everything is installed and WP should appear differently.
*) If it says Install with Stylish then you have Stylish installed, but not my style. Click that link to install it.
*) If it says To use this style, install Stylish then you do not have Stylish installed yet and you should click on that link to install it, then reload that page. If, when you click that link, it prompts you to save a file then you're probably not using Chrome nor Firefox. It only works in those browsers (and possibly other Mozilla-based browsers, like SeaMonkey).

Stylish will not work in Internet Explorer, Opera, Safari, etc. There may be similar addons in those browsers or other ways to apply a custom style, but I leave that for other people to research.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 6:27 pm

Yeah, as I said in my last post, it says: "Install with Stylish"----and, since my last post, I noticed the little Stylish symbol in the lower righthand corner of my window, so I know Stylish installed. The problem is that the button where your code is----the "Install with Stylish" button----doesn't work, for ME (I've read that others were able to download). When I hover over it, it brightens, but when I click on it, it doesn't show that it's being depressed and nothing happens. Also, when I click on the Stylish symbol (lowest righthand corner of my window), it says that I don't have any styles, or something like that, so I'm sure your code didn't download.

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 5:11 pm

Strange! I suppose you could "install" it manually by clicking "Show CSS", copying the code, creating a new style in Stylish options and pasting it there.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 1:58 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Thank you for this. The only issue I have the text on the options row is quite fuzzy.

That has been fixed. Looks great now

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman