Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 6:18 pm

Hi all,

I have difficulty with noticing people. I say hi whenever I do and try to be friendly, but I often just don't notice people around me, i.e. when grocery shopping and stuff. People say that they see me, but I do not seem to see them. This makes me a bit unhappy. How do you train yourself to see and notice things? I have difficulty with visual processing.

Aspie test: 84/200 aspie
NT score 109/200
You have aspie and NT traits

I love to read, sing and laugh out loud!
I love the original Star Wars movie.
One day, I would love to play the ukelele.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 9:45 pm

Tell them that you have visual processing problems, and that they need to come up and say hi if they want to be noticed. Do you have any prosopagnosia?

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 10:22 pm

Not an issue with folks i see day in day out while at work. But if shopping then i am not noticing people, just objects. I may have prosopagnosia. It takes forever to decode emotions and forever to remember faces.

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 10:42 pm

My skills at reading and knowing faces varies. Depending on which test abd the examiner. I was once told i could not have ASD because i got a hundred percent on a face reading test. But they were testing core emotions like anger or sadness or happy. I took forever to logically think through each photo.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 11:34 pm

I don't know what to say. I don't notice people when I'm engaged with something, and I know that if I tried to be more alert to surroundings and run my errands, it would take a huge amount of energy, so I wouldn't recommend it.

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 11:57 pm

Thanks for understanding, starkid! I felt alone in that respect because three people in the last week, I said 'long time no see', and they said they see me, they just don't say hi. I felt sad. But I feel a bit less alone. Sometimes I love being alone whilst shopping. I hate being bugged,

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 4:06 am

i do that too; it is one of the many coping mechanisms i employ to get me trough the day.
For me to recognize someone "in the wild", they must first indicate they know me, by means of saying 'hi' or waving or simular. if i have a reason to suspect i know the person in front of me, that is when i try to figure out who they are.

it is just not practical to go around trying to recognize everyone i see during the day; that will drain all my energy for no real benefit.

people that know me at least know this much about me luckily, so they don't really mind and will initiate contact if they want to speak with me.