Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 12:27 am

I totally agree about "The Scarlet Letter", the 2010 version of "Gulliver's Travels", and "The Cat in the Hat".

The worst book-to-movie adaptations I've seen were The Wonderful World of Disney's adaptation of "A Wrinkle in Time", "The Golden Compass", "Eragon" Illumination Entertainment's adaptation of "The Lorax" and "The Giver

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 12:58 am

"Watchers", based on the book 'Watchers' by Dean Koontz. The book may have been Koontz' best ever, the movie was really disappointing.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 5:37 am

Harry Potter. (Okay, that's former disgrunted fan in me talking, but seriously, I did notice they left out certain elements, even some characters were cut and I didn't like that.)

I say they blew it with Hannibal and Hannibal Rising.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 9:19 am

All of them. Books are better than movies. Movies have no means to convey internal dialogue, and time restraints force directors to compress and simplify plotlines.

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 12:37 pm

Eragon was wrongly changed to suit a younger audience. The book itself is actually for a much more mature audience than what the movies intended audience was. Without these parts (which were left out) the movie was missing a lot of what the book had. I think it can be remade but it needs to be suited for a more relevant audience. Once you have a proper movie you can then continue with Eldest and so on because the books get even darker.

A Wrinkle in Time, I remember that, it was very trippy both book and movie. Disney using the Frozen directer wants to remake it again.

SameStars
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 1:08 pm

Ella Enchanted (2004). I read this book in my childhood, and it's still somewhat of a favourite. The movie contains very little of the original storyline.

The Vanishing (1993). Hannibal (2001). My Sister's Keeper (2009). All these endings are nothing like the book, which change the tone of story (and weaken it, in my opinion).

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 4:44 pm

AntDog wrote:
Eragon was wrongly changed to suit a younger audience. The book itself is actually for a much more mature audience than what the movies intended audience was. Without these parts (which were left out) the movie was missing a lot of what the book had. I think it can be remade but it needs to be suited for a more relevant audience. Once you have a proper movie you can then continue with Eldest and so on because the books get even darker.

A Wrinkle in Time, I remember that, it was very trippy both book and movie. Disney using the Frozen directer wants to remake it again.

Oh, yeah, Eragon, too. There's a reason the other four books were never done.

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 5:05 pm

At the risk of being howled down by lovers of Peter Jackson, the worse film adaption to me is LOTR closely followed by The Hobbit. Even the aminated versions of both books, I find to be vastly superior. The other one that springs to mind is 2010, considering how much I loved the Arhur C Clark novel.

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 9:13 pm

progaspie wrote:
At the risk of being howled down by lovers of Peter Jackson, the worse film adaption to me is LOTR closely followed by The Hobbit. Even the aminated versions of both books, I find to be vastly superior.

The things that really irritate are why is Smaug a wyvern after 76 years of illustrations otherwise. I was laughing the way he walked and was expecting something more like this.
Another thing is dwarf battle around him (completely nonexistant in the book) was just Jackson wasting time because there wasn't enough content in the book to fill 3 films to begin with. Lastly the forbidden multiracial love triangle that was tossed in with a bonus elf character seems really unneeded.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 5:08 am

The primary one that comes to mind was this year's 'Endless Love'.

I read the book a long time ago, it was about a psychotic teenager who develops an obsession with an underage girl which eventually erupts in intentionally setting her house on fire, accidentally killing her dad and getting confined to a psychiatric hospital. So what does the 2014 adaptation do? It removed the whole "crazed stalker" element entirely and made it a conventional romance whose primary conflict is that the girl's father doesn't approve of their coupling. It pissed me off beyond belief. That's like remaking Stephen King's 'Misery' into a romantic comedy with no broken bones.

Provided, it was also adapted into a movie in 1981, where they kept the "crazed stalker" angle but unfortunately tried to portray it as romantic and ended up making it creepy. It was a crappy adaptation, but at least it WAS an adaptation.

YippySkippy wrote:
All of them. Books are better than movies. Movies have no means to convey internal dialogue, and time restraints force directors to compress and simplify plotlines.

Disagree. Sometimes conciseness can be an improvement. Stephen King's work comes to mind a lot: he comes up with great ideas but he executes them poorly. Most film adaptations of his I've seen are better than his books because they excise a lot of unnecessary filler and sub-plots, and in some cases, a lot of stupidity. 'The Shining' is infinitely better without the sentient topiary monsters, while 'The Langoliers' is infinitely worse for including the flying meatball monsters.

Boudewijn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Dec 2014, 3:06 pm

I used to really like the film Blade Runner, but I have read that the book it is based on is almost a totally different story. I still like the film, but the story in the film seems pretty basic when I think about it, and the book sounds far more interesting.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 7:50 pm

Memoirs Of A Geisha

Around The World In 80 Days {2004 version}

The Cat In The Hat

The Time Traveler's Wife

Carrie {2013 version}

Dreamcatcher

The Rum Diary

On The Road {2012 version}

Marley & Me

I Robot {2004 version}

A Good Year

Love & Other Drugs

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 8:05 pm

American Psycho.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 8:10 pm

The same animation studio that produced The Lorax has been in production of fully animated remakes of The Grinch and The Cat In The Hat, with the new version of
The Cat In The Hat to be released 3-5 years from now.

What do you think? Are these good ideas or bad ideas?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 12:50 am

I Am Legend.

Actually, it was a pretty decent movie - - until that Godawful ending.

hilaryy_renee_
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Dec 2014, 2:24 am

This may sound incredibly crazy, but I would have to say The Hunger Games.