Neologism, word playing, idiosyncratic humour

Page 12 of 35 [ 546 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 35  Next

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2016, 10:16 am

I also coined a personal (PURR-sonal) Internet acronym I use when I'm happy or excited-PWD-Purring With Delight. I initially considered POL (Purring Out Loud),, but immediately discarded it because it had a bad association with Pol Pot, the infamous Cambodian dictator.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2018, 8:05 am

Personal (PURR-sonal) - interesting. Associated with cute creature which the CAT is. Meow!

アウコリ (aukori) - "japanisation" of the word "aucory". Google found only 3 sites with the word "アウコリ".

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2018, 3:57 am

Anaucoric, anaucorigic - having (at least relatively) no traits of aucory (aucorigia).

Aucoroidia, aucorigoidia - condition from "broader aucorigia phenotype", somewhat similar to aucorigia, but no exactly it.

Purr-purr factory - humorous term for a cat.

lambdamoses
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Mar 2018, 12:57 am

I've been coining terms in my entire life; my parents sometimes say some words I coined when I was 5 in nostalgia, though those words have long been abandoned. Back in middle school and high school, I had a dictionary of terms I invented. Actually my parents are still using a word I coined back in middle school in public, believing that everybody uses that word in my way. Though I'm not making the dictionary any more, neologism is still my thing. Terms I invent are often related to my special interests. Here are some terms I currently use:

eigendish: my favorite dish at a restaurant. I have several other words with the prefix eigen-, meaning characteristic, named after eigenvalues and eigenvectors in linear algebra. For instance, eigenexpression (sentences I say over and over again), eigenspot (I like to sit in the same spot in restaurants, and that spot is called "eigenspot"), and eigenstyle (my dressing style).

high throughput food serving: several people serving food at the same time to make the line move faster, named after high throughput sequencing in genomics

setwd: go to my office, named after the function used to set working directory in the R programming language

working directory: my desk, at home or in my office

little trip: bicycle road trip; I coined this term when cycling was my special interest (2014) as bike road trips typically take less than a day

travelome: all my past travels, just like the -ome suffix in genome and transcriptome.

ideological linkage disequilibrium: when ideas that are not logically related tend to appear together in beliefs, named after linkage disequilibrium in genetics.

alpha and beta: mainly used when complaining that my parents care too much. I would say, "You care about alpha and beta." I coined this term back in high school, when my math teacher used lots of greek letters to teach trigonometry. I had more related terms at that time, for instance, "lambda" meant "no" (and I named people around me after greek letters). My name Lambda (I prefer this to my legal name) has a lot to do with my neologism at that time.

severe system crash squared: just my way to say "extremely". This expression was inspired by my special interest in computers back in middle school, and I've been saying this for more than 10 years.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2018, 4:07 pm

When your kitty cat brings game to the back door to the deck, and proceeds tear open the unfortunate rodent's carcass before your eyes, and to toss its liver into the air, and to bat the liver around, you can call it "cat-a-gory".

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2018, 10:02 pm

When cats fight, are they being "peoplely?" (Mean people are said to be "catty.")

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2018, 11:30 am

Busebontia - Google did not find this word. Buseferatusa - 0 results. "Busescora" was also not found.

Fyllidet - Google found 9 results.
Gyvedati - 1 result.
Mrutscheck - 0 results. "Mruts check" - 3 results.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2018, 11:43 pm

I've just recently ordered a T-shirt from Amazon that says "Peas on Earth." and it has two Sweet Peas holding hands.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2018, 11:18 am

Nerobocalu - Google did not find that word.

Szredynki - that word was also not found by the Google.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2018, 8:19 pm

Tennistically-a word actually coined by Spanish tennis player Juan Carlos Ferrero. "I want to improve physically, mentally, tennistically."

Rafael Nadal said, "I have a pain here-in my fam-oose (famous) @$$!

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2018, 4:03 pm

Nulpecati - no results in Google.
Amaculati - Google found 8 results.
Noforsini - 1 result in Google.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2018, 2:44 pm

Oh Yes! Great "bad" puns.

One example: In good housekeeping, being a domestic is not a foreign notion!

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2018, 2:50 pm

Aspie rateur

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2018, 12:30 pm

Aukia, auky - shortenings of "aucory", which is itself a shortening of "aucorigia".
Aukic - adjective from "aukia".
Aukiczny - Polish adjective from "aukia".

авкоригия, авкория, авкия - Russian counterparts of: aucorigia, aucory, aukia - avkorigiya, avkoriya, avkiya.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2018, 2:08 pm

I really like the word bunkum and have got a bit stuck on it creatively and as a stim. I use "bunkie" as a substitute for wrong, broken, odd, cute or pathetic, otherwise, I just find a way to throw variants into a sentence.
I.e.
" do you want a bit of bunkum on your bunk bungee, Bunkie?"
Meaning
"would you like some marmalade on your toast?"

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2018, 2:23 pm

:) Oh, and my nephew has started doing something similar aged 3. He doesn't like his toy because it makes "kranchie, kranchie" (it's too noisey). I could really appreciate his concern when he coined this one. :D