Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

toffee
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Apr 2005, 6:56 am

How easily do you interact in or with society when you are in common places or social environments with other people?

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2005, 8:05 am

I try my best to adapt for eveyone, but often I am uncomfortable in social situations like:

stuttering when people give me eye contact
    Feeling embarassed when there is akward silence

It also depends how well I know the people, but half of them probably think i'm a weirdo anyway.

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2005, 8:44 am

It depends on who and how many and where.

I'm pretty good when I'm in a small group with few distractions, such as a team meeting at work or a simple classroom environment with a half-dozen students or less. Once the group size gets beyond that I tend to withdraw and defer, keeping my opinions to myself. Also, the more distractions in the room the smaller the crowd I can accept before my attention becomes too scattered to participate in a consistent and meaningful way. I don't know how I made it through elementary school, with the large class sizes and all that crap they always have hanging on the walls.

Surprisingly, I don't *usually* have an issue with being in large anonymous crowds (alone or with one friend at most) such as the shopping mall or a concert because I'm not "with" the rest of them. As long as they don't start pushing and don't try to interact with me I can just "tune them out".

Places I generally don't handle well are those where a lot of people are interacting with each other such as large social gatherings, or where I'm expected to pay attention to where I fit within the crowd such as in a fast-food restaurant or bank lineup.

KingChaosNinja
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Apr 2005, 6:31 pm

I can if I want to. If it benifits me I can pretend to be as "normal" as the next person. However, most times I don't care enough to make people like me so I just go on being myself.

*I picked this username 4 years ago when I was in high school. Don't hold it against me.

Ante
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2005, 7:07 pm

Deleted

Last edited by Ante on 09 Nov 2005, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingChaosNinja
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Apr 2005, 8:20 pm

People sometimes think I am Gothic because I wear black and dark grays alot and I talk like Hannible Lector. I just wear black alot because I am a ninja and I talk like Hannible Lector because he is feared yet respected. Just like Machvelli said to be.

*I picked this username 4 years ago when I was in high school. Don't hold it against me.

Wowbagger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Apr 2005, 8:53 pm

Similar to the experiences of others on here, either I don't interact at all because I see no openings for meaningful conversation, or, when I do express my opinions, I come across as arrogant.

KingChaosNinja
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Apr 2005, 8:59 pm

No I am arrogant.

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2005, 9:20 pm

LOL I'd noticed.

Neon_Knight
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Apr 2005, 7:36 am

usually keeping my big mouth shut and staying out of sight works for me!

Once people hear my dalek drone-that's it, they can't stand me!

I only seem to be welcome when others need a gimp around to poke fun at.

But that's how NTs are.

I just prefer to associate with people who are very much like me-lonely, intellectual types.

Captain_Brain
Toucan
Toucan

29 Apr 2005, 3:43 pm

Wowbagger wrote:
Similar to the experiences of others on here, either I don't interact at all because I see no openings for meaningful conversation, or, when I do express my opinions, I come across as arrogant.

That's like me but not the last part. When I express my opinions people don't seem to hear it's like i'm inaudible.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2005, 4:49 pm

I find most people aren't worth trying to get along with. Yeah, there's always people you need to be courteous to, but I wouldn't want to get any more involved with that charade than absolutely necessary.

I haven't really connected with anybody here the way I was hoping to yet but I've only been a member about 3 weeks.

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2005, 5:04 pm

KingChaosNinja wrote:
I am a ninja

What is your defination of a ninja?

BeeBee

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2005, 8:55 pm

Depending on the situation, I am either monotone, soft, and stutter, or I am loud and use humor and accents TOO much.

I hate crowds. The bigger the crowd the worse it is.

I prefer one-on-one situations, or if it is in a group then I prefer a very familiar place. And away from the city, too. I really don't like the city. I always prefer the county to the city.

When I am more relaxed, I use humor endlessly. And that is almost all I know what to do. Not memorized stuff, just more like finding a humorous aside to every comment or subject, etc.

I use it so much that I begin to get tired of it. LOL

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 May 2005, 12:52 pm

No problem talking to people really. If someone says somthing to me I can answer. My biggest problem is going up to someone and talking. Can't do that.

When someone comes up to me and starts talking, I'll be hyper. Hot and sweaty out of embarresment for no apparent reason. Terrible eye contact. Lots of stuttering.

KingChaosNinja
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 May 2005, 5:24 pm

BeeBee wrote:
KingChaosNinja wrote:
I am a ninja

What is your defination of a ninja?

BeeBee

Since you really can no longer be an official ninja since the original ninja schools faded off long ago. I'm a "ninja because I have black pajamas and I can sneak into a room behind you with out being heard. I can also climb relitivly flat surfaces and other "ninja-esk" things.