Page 11 of 21 [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 21  Next

blunnet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 3:18 pm

tomato wrote:
This is a very interesting subject to me. Any videos, books, articles, any kind of links, about this subject, please post it. I only have one book that is related to this and it's in Swedish; Forskningsfusket: Så Blir Du Lurad Av Kost- Och Läkemedelsindustrin; which means roughly The Science Hoax: How The Food And Medical Industries Deceive You. I have not found a translation but there might be one out there, or there might be one on the way. I have read and listened to other material dealing with the subject. It was interesting when reading that book, which I'm not finished with, to think about how the author himself most likely has either chosen his words in a carefully diplomatic way or how the editors might have insisted on publishing a carefully diplomatically thought through text. What I mean is that the dynamic he talks about of course is applicable not only to the food and medical industries, or even science as a whole, but virtually everything in society, including his own book, and any book, more so the more people it reaches. This point about how many people it reaches is also something that interests me. This seems to be a phenomenon across the board in society, the more people something reaches the less substance and truth is in it, it goes for any media, medicine, any communication, virtually everything. My own inherent distaste for social life might have a lot to do with this.

Or actually I have one more book that you could say is about this, very much actually. Mass Control: Engineering Human Consciousness by Jim Keith. Because all of the various mind control techniques described there have connection to science.

Conspiracy theories. That explains a lot.

I'll stick with whatever *works best* thank you very much, and that is the scientific method. You might think that is "worshipping" but that just in your head *choosing what works best to gain knowledge is not woshipping* heck! you look like you might not even understand the epistemology.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 3:20 pm

^^^
ONE above that one.

Yup, science is a human construct but NOT HUMAN.

INTERESTING, extremely interesting, how some humans CAN FORGET THAT, TOO, PER SCIENCE TOO.

BACK to paraphrase the Dead Poet's Society MOVIE CLIP, generously as such, science is nice to sustain life in more comfortable ways, at times, but NO, OVERALL, it does not drive passion for life, alone, as THAT IS WHAT HUMAN EMOTIONS ARE FOR AT NATURAL GOD AKA MOTHER Nature TRUE given CORE.

AND YEAH, it is cool, that science is finAlly taking a look at what IT REALLY MEANS TO BE HUMAN TOO. :)

And yeah, science is A SCRIBE OF GOD AND does its best to get the job done, with the human limitations that ARE BEHIND IT. BUTT TRUE SCIENCE ALONE IS NOT ALLONE OR GOD, NO matter how much some folks WISH IT IS, ALONE.

That's a pipe dream, as GOD IS FULL REALITY, ALLONE, AND not science OR RELIGION, ALONE.

It's kind of like saying the pen is responsible for the writing, as the writing is ART AND NOT SCIENCE ALLONE, AS ALL WRITING AT CORE IS METAPHOR AND NOT LITERAL alone.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 3:33 pm

Idk. But I do know Science is a lot more dangerous then anything else. It is the only thing capable of truly mass destruction and perhaps even destroying all humanity.

blunnet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 3:35 pm

Jacoby wrote:
For laypeople, "science" is not much different than religion and I think a lot of absolutist people that venerate it to such a degree are merely substituting it as one.

Not really, a difference between science, religion or any other similar thing out there is that science does not deal with absolute truths. Any scientific fact that has come from applying the scientific method is *provisional*, which means that we cannot say with 100% certainty that any theory is true, this is where falsifiability kicks in.

Quote:
What is religion? It's basically some learned person's understanding of the world written down in a book that others than read and take as fact so how is that different than "science" to an unlearned person?

It's a fundamental error to put two or more things in the same epistemic plane, one just works better than the rest, until you provide an alternative method that works better than the scientific method then I'd say you're up to something good, otherwise we'll stick with what currently works best.

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 3:39 pm

blunnet wrote:
Conspiracy theories. That explains a lot.

elaborate

Persimmonpudding
Toucan
Toucan

29 Dec 2014, 3:44 pm

eric76 wrote:
I knew a lot of people with PhD's in math. A few of them were truly interested in just about everything. They were some of the quirkiest and by far the more interesting. For example, one day I was in an office used by a NASA group (I never did figure out exactly what they actually did in that office) when a math professor I knew stopped by and gave us an impromptu lecture on the mathematics of vision.
I know one like that. He has terrible insomnia (he is lucky to get in three hours in a night) and a form of type ii bipolar disorder that almost amounted to a sort of unipolar mania, since the negative part is in the form of dramatic "mixed episodes."

One of my proudest accomplishments is that I succeeded in boring him, which once seemed an impossibility. I can be a cure for insomnia when I get into topics like, say, the implications of findings on the topography of an ig-like domain on a specific cytokine receptor to the evolutionary history of interferon gamma. Massive text-walls of terribly arcane information followed by several larger ones attempting to explain them. The thing is, when I get into the mood, I am putting this stuff up at machine-gun rates and have actually gone on like that for hours at a time.

It is not that I cannot do that since starting the amantadine. I can just manage NOT to do it where it is unwelcome, which seems to be just about everywhere.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 3:58 pm

Toy_Soldier wrote:
Idk. But I do know Science is a lot more dangerous then anything else. It is the only thing capable of truly mass destruction and perhaps even destroying all humanity.

AMEN

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 6:49 pm

aghogday wrote:
Toy_Soldier wrote:

AMEN

Sorry Guys but I find this to be the most ridiculous sentiment. So what we go back to using just our bare hands and feet searching for grubs and fruit as anything beyond that is an invention that could and probably has been used to kill and maim. You are laying the blame for humanities behaviour at the door of inventors which, as a generalisation, is plain stupid.

As to the original purpose of this thread no-one who has a grasp on the scientific method "venerates it" rather they see it as a very efficient tool to identify nonsense and falsehoods. Judging by some on this forum you would rather the scholastic or aristotelian approach where logic and thought was all that was needed to determine what was real.

To quote Brian Cox and Jeffrey Foreshaw

"Difficult as it may sometimes seem, science at its heart is not a complicated discipline. One might venture to say that it is an attempt at removing our innate prejudices in order to observe the world as objectively as possible. It may be more or less successful in that goal but few can doubt its success in teaching us how the universe “works.” The really difficult thing is to learn not to trust what we might like to think of as common sense. By teaching us to accept nature for what it is, and not for what our prejudice may suggest that it should be, the scientific method has delivered the modern technological world. In short, it works."

No one who understands the scientific method would ever suggest that this is the best method we will ever have to discover reality, rather they will rightly say that to date this is the best method we have. So those of you who think there is something sinister and fundamentally flawed about the method keep going on your merry way, but just realise that to the rest of the population you look rather foolish and ignorant.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 7:29 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Toy_Soldier wrote:

AMEN

Sorry Guys but I find this to be the most ridiculous sentiment. So what we go back to using just our bare hands and feet searching for grubs and fruit as anything beyond that is an invention that could and probably has been used to kill and maim. You are laying the blame for humanities behaviour at the door of inventors which, as a generalisation, is plain stupid.

As to the original purpose of this thread no-one who has a grasp on the scientific method "venerates it" rather they see it as a very efficient tool to identify nonsense and falsehoods. Judging by some on this forum you would rather the scholastic or aristotelian approach where logic and thought was all that was needed to determine what was real.

To quote Brian Cox and Jeffrey Foreshaw

"Difficult as it may sometimes seem, science at its heart is not a complicated discipline. One might venture to say that it is an attempt at removing our innate prejudices in order to observe the world as objectively as possible. It may be more or less successful in that goal but few can doubt its success in teaching us how the universe “works.” The really difficult thing is to learn not to trust what we might like to think of as common sense. By teaching us to accept nature for what it is, and not for what our prejudice may suggest that it should be, the scientific method has delivered the modern technological world. In short, it works."

No one who understands the scientific method would ever suggest that this is the best method we will ever have to discover reality, rather they will rightly say that to date this is the best method we have. So those of you who think there is something sinister and fundamentally flawed about the method keep going on your merry way, but just realise that to the rest of the population you look rather foolish and ignorant.

I guess you missed the definition of science I provided earlier in the discussion but science is much more than JUST THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD, SCIENCE IS ALSO A BODY OF KNOWLEDGE AGREED UPON AS TRUTH.

AND IN THIS CASE WHAT the gentleman said is TRUTH THAT I AFFIRMED WITH AMEN.

SCIENCE through the body of knowledge that is Nuclear Physics IS CAPABLE OF MAKING THIS PLANET UNINHABITABLE FOR MANY SPECIES OF LIFE ON THIS EARTH.

I WOULD ONLY HOPE you are not the one with the scientific mind that CANNOT CLEARLY SEE THIS FACT OF SCIENCE.

THAT IS ALL I AFFIRMED PER WHAT THE GENTLEMAN SAID AND NOTHING ELSE.

AND ALTHOUGH I am not currently employed in science FOR MONEY, I was once was a research associate employee at a University, and I for one CERTAINLY KNOW THE INS AND OUTS OF BOTH RESEARCH AND THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD.

BUT I ALSO have enough smarts to look up the definition of science and provide it here, before the discussion continues to narrow down to just one aspect of the definition of science, specific to the scientific method.

And before one discounts what humankind can do with instinct and intuition that has largely been lost for humankind in so-called civilized western societies, one might try or even imagine how great it is IN ACTION, AND not just words, to be recognized as as expert in martial arts, dance, along with the ability to lift over 800 LBS with one's legs, with absolutely no provided cultural lessons. It's truly nice to be balanced and hardly feel gravity when one moves on terrestrial plane, AND FEARLESS TOO for reason, and not just imagination.

Science, although it's pretty cool, has little to no handle on how I got to this point in life, overall, as it was built in to my genetics just waiting to EXPLODE WITH THE CORRECT ENVIRONMENTAL STIMULUS AND CHALLENGE FOR INCREDIBLE Epigenetic and Neuroplastic human change, at age 54.

And sure I have the equivalent scientific terms to explain the core process at hand that leads to my reality now but that only matters in communication as the reality is with or without the associated scientific terms I CAN AND DO DOCUMENT THE PROOF THAT I DO THESE AMAZING THINGS IN REAL LIFE, AND NOT JUST IN WORDS, ALONE.

In other words, I ain't foolish dude, in your sense of what fool means, seemingly here.

I do the REAL LIFE THING AND am killing it every now of now, too, and I can and do prove it too. :)

Last edited by aghogday on 29 Dec 2014, 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 7:47 pm

Sorry Ahoday I miss a lot of what you say because I cannot cope with your method of writing. I read your posts all the way through when they are without all the capitalisation. Sorry I just cannot cope with it.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 7:51 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
Sorry Ahoday I miss a lot of what you say because I cannot cope with your method of writing. I read your posts all the way through when they are without all the capitalisation. Sorry I just cannot cope with it.

The first line without CAPS is sufficient to get my point across.

The other stuff was just an opportunity for learning more.

And I speak to the entire reading audience, and never just the person I quote, by the way.

Caps are a literary device commonly used on the Internet now, per the twitter reading audience that now exists, who can rarely go a sentence or too, without getting bored, unless there is SOMETHING NOVEL going on. ;)

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 7:54 pm

Aghogday I am not criticising you I am simply stating that I cannot cope with all the capitalisation. It does not matter what the reason for doing it is nor the person using the technique. I am not alone in this as you are aware.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 7:58 pm

Ok after reading the first line I have to say you are very wrong in your characterisation. Again anyone who understands the SM would never use the word "truth" . Most would say something like "the knowledge garnered is to date our best approximation"

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 8:05 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
Aghogday I am not criticising you I am simply stating that I cannot cope with all the capitalisation. It does not matter what the reason for doing it is nor the person using the technique. I am not alone in this as you are aware.

You were before in suggesting a falsehood for something that was not even said in the comment I affirmed, so I more than adequately defended it, and that is all.

In the next comment I adequately clarified and validated my method of communication that nah, is not always pleasing to all, but many have told me directly that it is extremely effective, as well.

I am neither a fool or ignorant, per your view of life, and trust me when you bite me I will bite back, using wit, as I always have here. :)

And nah, once AGAIN, I didn't make the definition of science up, Dictionary dot com just relays it to ya.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/science

Quote:
science

noun
a branch of knowledge or study dealing with a body of facts or truths systematically arranged and showing the operation of general laws:
the mathematical sciences.
systematic knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation.
any of the branches of natural or physical science.
systematized knowledge in general.
knowledge, as of facts or principles; knowledge gained by systematic study.
a particular branch of knowledge.
skill, especially reflecting a precise application of facts or principles; proficiency.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 8:16 pm

Well whoever wrote those definitions does not understand the nature of the Method. If they did they would realise that "facts" have no place in a system which by a matter of deliberate design constantly questions and attempts to disprove findings. So you stick with your definitions I will stick with the actual practicalities of the SM.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 8:19 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
Well whoever wrote those definitions does not understand the nature of the Method. If they did they would realise that "facts" have no place in a system which by a matter of deliberate design constantly questions and attempts to disprove findings. So you stick with your definitions I will stick with the actual practicalities of the SM.

So now you are smarter than dictionary dot com.

So much for research. :)

And you are starting to amuse me, and I thank you for that, as I always enjoy a smile.