Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2014, 1:42 am

Ah yes, the sport of rugby union.

I actually watched a game of rugby union back in late 2012 at a friend's house. It was on a local sports channel that re-played some local sports events that I never really cared too much about, and I actually enjoyed it.

Fast forward to late 2014, and I've been "researching" rugby union a bit, mostly by staring at Wikipedia pages of different rugby union teams of different countries (it's actually fun). I now know that rugby union is pretty popular in Argentina, Georgia, and Japan.

I've started watching some rugby games (mostly recorded), and I actually enjoy it. In fact, I'm starting to like it better than other sports.

Anyone else here into rugby union? Can't wait for RWC 2015.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 4:34 pm

Somewhat, yes. I'm not a super fan but I do watch the world cup and the odd game. Played it in primary school, up to 13.

My brother in law played in semi-professionally, in France for a while.

What I think is dumb is the whole AF vs Rugby nonsense. They are just two different to compare. The way you advance is totally different so, there rest of it can't be he same apart form some of the kicking.

AF is high intensity clashes, set plays. To end the argument scientifically AF tackles are harder, but that is not really surprising as gloved boxer hit harder than bare knuckle and get less tired, but they also tape their wrists, so they can get away with bad alignment which would cause injury. Impact tackle only amount of some of rugby tackles anyway, to tackle in rugby you have to try and get the arms round. The full tilt AF tackle would be suicidal without the gear. The head and human neck simply isn't designed for that, I believe the early history of AF attests to that.

Rugby is an endurance game, and play on philosophy (especially union) you have to perform well that whole time. You can't do the unlimited substitutions of AF, and it is possible to have three guys off and playing a full team.

If you want to play, don't expect to make any money out of it though. It is tough to do that even in many of the Rugby nations, only most elite players earn most of the money.

Rugby league is also pretty crazy. I've seen more punch up in League than Union, simply becuase of the shorter plays and frustration from turnover and lost advantage. There was this exhibition match they put on in France (which is a union country normally), needless to say it turned in to a complete brawl. The french loved it, but then again the national union team used to be known for its dirty tactics.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 5:22 pm

Rugby Union is New Zealand's national game, and the All Blacks are the current holders of the Webb Ellis Cup (the world cup). I have been to a world cup game once (though I am not sports minded, was given one of the expensive tickets for free) and the atmosphere was amazing. The All Blacks are famous in the rugby world and well known for their pre-game performance of the haka, (a traditional Maori challenge made prior to a battle to put fear into the enemy) though they have toned down its traditional war cry of "kamate, kamate" in recent years to a milder version, as other countries claimed this gave the All Blacks too much of an advantage...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 6:16 pm

I used to watch and enjoy rugby as a kid.

It was on BEFORE the Saturday morning cartoons.