05 Jan 2015, 1:47 pm

This makes me happy.

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/nation-n ... /21281651/

Oscar Meyer Lansky

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 4:31 pm

That link didn't work. If it's what it sounds like I'm just wondering was the doe in his garden or something? It's easier to keep deer out than shoot them with a bow, or at least shoot with a shotgun because the noise will scare them and others off, if you don't hit one. You can keep deer out of something by filling old pantyhose with hair clippings from the beauty parlor or barber shop and tying them to the fence. The human scent keeps them away. If he was hunting, all I have to say about that is thats the dangers of bow hunting. You should always have at least a pistol back up when you bow hunt, just for personal safety and to put the animal out of it's misery if it wasn't a clean kill. Also, you have a responsibility to the animals to at least be a good shot before you go out there and actually hunt with the bow, because otherwise it's just a douchebag in the woods torturing animals which run off and slowly bleed to death.

Down here in the Deep South, there is a huge hunting culture and it's even moreso since we moved from the city to the middle of nowhere in 01, to a small backwoods town that is about 30 miles from anything in all four directions. We aren't on the way to anywhere, and the freeway doesn't come close by, so people dont even pass through here or get lost and keep driving long enough to hit our town. The only way you get to this place is on purpose. In Birmingham I knew lots of guys who would hunt from time to time but here it's all the time and kids as young as 8 are in the local newspaper in their cammies holding up the head of their kill and a little blurb that says their name, age and where they got it and all about the deer. In the high school parking lot which is technically not on school property, during deer season about every third pickup truck has a gun rack with a couple of loaded guns in them and the boy who drove it directly to school after he left the woods that morning is still in cammo and probably still smells like that deer urine they actually buy and put on like cologne or something. I've never seen anything like it. We even have a famous taxidermist in town, because Hank Williams Junior hunts down here, and he uses this guy and brings him his stuff even from up in Cullman. It was after I had heard folks talking about him and telling me why he was famous that I heard the Jeff Foxworthy joke "You might be a redneck if you know a famous taxidermist". Now there are two that apply to me (although we didn't technically finance that tattoo, we paid him half one week and half the next and that was when we lived in the city) I can't believe I know this stuff, but it seems to have sunk in by osmosis or something over the years.

Down here they hunt everything. In Birmingham I had heard of people deer hunting and sometimes duck hunting. Well, in the country if it moves in the woods they will shoot it and eat it, except coons which are not eaten but hunted as pests and for their fur and that tail. For some reason it seems to be a very popular sport and they have trained dogs for it and all that, although from what I hear, coon hunting is really just an excuse to drink beer in the woods at night with your dogs and your friends. It's the lazy mans version of hunting because the dogs do the work. They chase them, tree them, stand there barking for you and then your buddy holds the flashlight and you shoot them. It's probably best that it's that simple because coon hunting is a beer drinking sport. They also hunt squirrels, which is how the next thing happened.(now get this, is this not the most redneck thing you ever heard?) Our high school cheerleaders needed to raise money go to a cheer competition so one of the dads knew a guy with a lot of hunting land so they held a competitive squirrel hunt. They had tshirts printed up too, which I still have some of to give to people who asked for them because that's just not something you see everyday. People hunt possum and turkeys and ducks too of course and while the biggest sport is deer hunting, wild boar hunting seems to be very popular but it's dangerous.

Boars will attack you even if you are on an unarmed hike somewhere or if they ever get into town or on somebodys property. They are big pigs with horns. They also taste like crap so it's just the danger aspect of it that seems to make folks want to do it because you have to be really hard up to eat boar. Hunting them is dangerous because of the chance you might get attacked before you can get to your gun and also if it's not a clean kill, they will do their best to take you with them.

My friend who killed herself last year had been just up by the river with her Kindle, chilling and thinking last fall and her purse which had her personal safety gun in it, (which turned out to be her personal danger gun) was in the car which was parked a little bit away because she had walked down to the water. She wasn't bothering anybody, just reading her ebook and looking at the water and beginning her descent into the depression which would eventually cause her death this time. Well out of the blue she hears it and before she can do anything here comes this boar, running at her. She ran from him and slipped and fell and messed up her leg or something, I can't remember, but she fell in the water, the boar came after her, she dropped her Kindle and I think she ended up having to call 911 for them to come shoot it because she was trapped. I had never heard of boars until moving down here, but they are really dangerous animals and you shouldn't go into the woods or anyplace thats kind of "out"unarmed. They kill people and eat them.

Does however, are pretty harmless unless they run out in front of your car. In those cases people usually end up with a lot of damage to the vehicle and the deer just gets up and runs off pretty much unharmed. I've kind of always wanted to have tame deer as outside pets, but down here that wouldn't be possible.

Since the link didn't work, what happened?

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 5:06 pm

Now why can't I edit my post? Strange!

The story was about a 72-year-old bow hunter who was attacked and injured by the doe he had just shot. I'll try another link:

http://www.fdlreporter.com/story/news/local/2015/01/03/doe-attacks-man-shot-arrow/21232447/Story here

Oscar Meyer Lansky

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 5:09 pm

That's it, I'm done here. I can't use the quote function, I can't post links. So long!

Oscar Meyer Lansky

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 5:42 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
That's it, I'm done here. I can't use the quote function, I can't post links. So long!

That one worked. I just read it. I'm not antihunting or antimeat, so I'm not happy about it, but I think the guy should have had a pistol with him when he went bow hunting. Even if they don't have boars there, bow hunting doesn't always kill the animal cleanly and it's only right to immediately put the animal down if you have to. I can understand not wanting to take a long gun as well as the bow and such, and you don't hunt with a pistol, but having one as backup is pretty standard. I consider him an irresponsible hunter who even though he did the right thing by coming back to put the deer down, he did it later with no guarantee of finding the deer because even if it's bleeding you can't always track it. Plus, during the time he went home and got the gun and came back, the animal was needlessly suffering even if he came right back to it.

Another thing about hunting is that if a deer is injured like that, many times it will attack anybody it runs across, so it's best to be armed if you are ever in the woods during hunting season. It's obvious to wear orange even if you aren't a hunter and if, like I'm assuming you are, you are against hunting you should think about what you would do if you are out hiking or whatever and run across an injured deer. You can't just go to Walmart and buy a tranqualizer gun and a tazer won't do s**t against a crazed an injured deer, so even though you may be against hunting it is truly the humane thing to do to put the animal out of it's misery and carry some type of firearm to quickly and cleanly do the job. (Also for boars because there is TRULY nothing you can do except go up a tree or get inside something FAST once it sees you because when a boar sees you it immediately decides to kill and eat you, even though you may not think it would for no reason, they really, really do so it really becomes a you or them situation and it goes bad fast)

Good bow hunters seem to get a lot of respect in hunting circles because of the sill requires, but their reputation as a bow hunter depends on clean kills and quickly dispatching the animal in the rare situation that your kill isn't clean. It's not like the Robin Hood movies when you use a crossbow or a compound bow, and different types of bows are legal in different places. In the movies an arrow hits a person or animal and just sticks in and bleeds around there and you can get hit with several and still fight and maybe survive. Real life isn't that way because these bows do some serious damage. Most go right through a grown buck, and that's pretty stout. You do have to track them a little ways but they die quickly. Even with a gun they don't usually die immediately and you have to track them a little ways, but it's fairly fast. I guess guys from the SWAT team probably never have to track a deer when hunting with a gun, but it's common.

My thoughts on this guy in the article is that he should have carried whatever it was legal to carry during bow season and been prepared to finish what he started. I feel bad for him that he got hurt, but I bet he won't do that again now.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 6:11 pm

Alright, I've calmed down now. I just don't understand why I can't make a proper link anchored to text -- or do that cool quote thingie. :(

Anyway, while I'm not anti-hunting, exactly, but I do enjoy a good story where the hunter doesn't come out on top. Hunting for sport (something one does for pleasure) has never set right with me. Hunting for sustenance I don't have a problem with, though.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 6:13 pm

Always carry a pistol,everyone here does when they hunt.Its cheaper to put something down with a .22 to the head than wasting 30/30 ammo.Some people still eat coon,only in winter.You hunt them when the fur is prime.If you know how to cook it,not bad.You parboil it first to remove the gamey taste.Except for an old tough boar coon,he'd be like rubber.Wild hogs are eaten here,most catch them on a trap then fatten.Tastes no different than any other pork product.You castrate the male,a wild sow tastes fine,if she's old she will be tough.Its an older tough boar that will be gamey and strong.They have tusks,not horns and they can cut a person up bad or kill a dog.They don't always chase people in the woods,I've ran into them and they didn't charge me.It was a sow with a litter,I'd didn't hang around,I hauled ass out of there.Most will get out of the way if they hear you coming,just don't surprise wild animals.The only deer attack I know happened to a man with a pet buck deer,it stomped him when the rutting season started.Wild animals don't make the best pets.I had a friend that got flogged by a gobbler,he thought it was dead and picked it up, surprise,it wound up hand to hand combat.
Here's the skull of one my son killed.We aren't called the Razorback state for nothing.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 6:56 pm

Hey, it can't always go the hunter's way. They need to get a few lumps, now and then. That's why this story made my happy. The only story that would make me even more happy is if some troglodyte participating in a canned hunt for big cats got mauled and partially consumed. That would keep me in stitches for a week, I suspect.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 7:43 pm

I agree,there is no sportmanship in a canned hunt.Im not into trophy hunting,you can't eat the horns.I have no problem with people hunting for food,that's what most people do here.There are no natural big predators for the deer or the hogs,so if people cull a few to eat they are just doing what the wolves and big cats would have done.I have nothing but scorn for people who kill a deer and just take the hams and blackstrap leaving the rest to rot.That can always be donated to a needy family.Lots of older gents that can't hunt anymore would be tickled to get it.
I thought it was funny about the gobbler getting a few licks in,he left a mark.lol