Page 2 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 10:59 am

I'm a decent interpreter for a number of dialects, I'm better with germanic or romance languages usually but a friend taught me a bit of Czech so I can make out most of your vocab if not grammar. Word-for-word, at least when I try the pronunciations it seems Hrvatski is as efficient or moreso than anything else I know.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 11:24 am

cberg wrote:
I'm a decent interpreter for a number of dialects, I'm better with germanic or romance languages usually but a friend taught me a bit of Czech so I can make out most of your vocab if not grammar. Word-for-word, at least when I try the pronunciations it seems Hrvatski is as efficient or moreso than anything else I know.

I honestly never thought if it as efficient...in fact sometimes it feels easier to express myself in English :) but you seem to be more experienced in these matters than I am. I always thought of Finnish for example to be very concise and with absurdly low number of irregularities.... Croatian like all IE languages is full of irregularities and things that make little sense, especially when you try to teach it to those crazy enough to want to learn it :D I met only one by now, and he gave up :)

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 11:53 am

I'm 50% Norsk so Norsk/Nynorsk, Bokmal & Svenska I can understand but Finnish is closer to Magyar than German so it eludes me. I'd love to learn Suomi though because I'm into Nokia devices. Your phrasing for "what kind of project?" & "mother tongue" in particular stood out as really easy to latch on to. Also I'm a major rally fan so Croatia wasn't totally new to me.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 1:23 pm

cberg wrote:
I'm 50% Norsk so Norsk/Nynorsk, Bokmal & Svenska I can understand but Finnish is closer to Magyar than German so it eludes me. I'd love to learn Suomi though because I'm into Nokia devices. Your phrasing for "what kind of project?" & "mother tongue" in particular stood out as really easy to latch on to. Also I'm a major rally fan so Croatia wasn't totally new to me.

wow so I guess you can understand old Norse and Icelandic as well :) How many languages can you understand btw??? I didn't even know Croatia is good in rallying! I usually try to forget I live here and try to use Croatian as minimally as possible.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 3:00 pm

XD I try to forget I live in the U.S. I'm not great at Icelandic although I can follow the mythos & spelling. I really admire Iceland for its' commitment to open internet practices - "the Switzerland of bits". To be honest I'm only conversationally fluent in English & Spanish, I guess I try to maximize the number of dialects I can interpret. So far I can handle everything we discussed, bits & pieces of Deutsch & Switzerdeutsch, mostly understand Portugues & Italiano (thanks to Spanish) and anime is slowly teaching me Japanese.

Sometimes I think if I stop rambling I'll just pass out... :nerdy:

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 3:10 pm

cberg wrote:
XD I try to forget I live in the U.S. I'm not great at Icelandic although I can follow the mythos & spelling. I really admire Iceland for its' commitment to open internet practices - "the Switzerland of bits". To be honest I'm only conversationally fluent in English & Spanish, I guess I try to maximize the number of dialects I can interpret. So far I can handle everything we discussed, bits & pieces of Deutsch & Switzerdeutsch, mostly understand Portugues & Italiano (thanks to Spanish) and anime is slowly teaching me Japanese.

Sometimes I think if I stop rambling I'll just pass out... :nerdy:

lol now that's just awesome! and whaddaya mean "not conversationally fluent in English" :P i'm not conversationally fluent in Croatian either, i can mostly stutter am hum and scratch my head in a very Croatian manner :D

you're trying to maximize the number of dialects, while i'm trying to go in depth....unfortunately latin eats up most of my time and energy....not much left for others. well one day if there'll be anything left of my brain cells :skull:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 7:22 pm

I've been in & around labs & scientists all my life so I know scientific Latin most of the time. My German knowledge came from my mom using it when she gets annoyed (read: often), it's a good language for bad moods. Romance languages definitely burn you out after a while, my Spanish is 90% although my Chilean friend tells me my accent needs work. I would've taken all the Spanish the schools offered but I left public HS when it ceased to be my favorite subject.

I seem to remember somebody calculating the storage capacity of human brains at ten terabytes. All the hacker trivia rattling around in mine makes it difficult to stick to plain English.

What do you use Latin for?

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 9:59 pm

cberg wrote:

Lol, she uses it for insulting me on the Banned (Foreign Languages) thread!

:D

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 8:51 am

DeepHour wrote:
cberg wrote:

Lol, she uses it for insulting me on the Banned (Foreign Languages) thread!

:D

Exactly! :D :lol:

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 9:20 am

cberg wrote:
I've been in & around labs & scientists all my life so I know scientific Latin most of the time. My German knowledge came from my mom using it when she gets annoyed (read: often), it's a good language for bad moods. Romance languages definitely burn you out after a while, my Spanish is 90% although my Chilean friend tells me my accent needs work. I would've taken all the Spanish the schools offered but I left public HS when it ceased to be my favorite subject.

I seem to remember somebody calculating the storage capacity of human brains at ten terabytes. All the hacker trivia rattling around in mine makes it difficult to stick to plain English.

well i figured i need a degree in something, so why not Latin? :D Why not take something very complicated and with little applicable use...but fascinating nonetheless because of vulgar latin and romance languages that followed!

With regard to German being good for bad moods - I was told that Slavic, and especially Croatian, are excellent for swearing :P And, judging by the proficiency in swearing of the people around me, I must say that's true!

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2015, 5:43 pm

Booyakasha wrote:
ja pričam hrvatski, ali sam iz Zagreba :)

kakav projekt?

What project?

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 5:23 am

ImAnAspie wrote:
Booyakasha wrote:
ja pričam hrvatski, ali sam iz Zagreba :)

kakav projekt?

What project?

They wanted to establish autistic state on a patch of land between Serbian and Croatian borders claming that it's "terra nulius", but before they came it was claimed by some other party. Although, basically it can't work since I don't think neither Croatia nor Serbia will ever be willing to grant a peace of land for which they fought so much to a group of foreigners.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 12:27 pm

Wow, I can read Croatian! Er, ... :scratch: d'oh!

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 12:34 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
Wow, I can read Croatian! Er, ... :scratch: d'oh!

You can speak 25 languages already anyway :lol: it's hardly surprising you can deduce another indoeuropean language :)

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 9:09 am

I wish! Where did you get that number from?

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 12:28 pm

i used sofisticated algorithms to calculate that number. :jester: