Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 4:15 pm

One thing I agree with:

On construction sites, women are the ones who are frequently relegated to directing traffic.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 5:38 pm

smudge wrote:
Oh, I meant physical labour. I realise there's far more women in the workplace these days, like there's lots of women accountants. Jobs you'd never have seen them in before too...like bus drivers and taxi drivers. I wouldn't be a taxi driver. I guess if you were strong and tough though women can do it.

I've also noticed how many men there are with prams these days. I like that. I think it's cute when men look after children, it makes them look responsible and caring. Even though I don't like children..

whats a pram?

the army has been doing tests to decide use of women in combat. from what I read they were finding that women could do many of the things men could do, they just had to use different lifting styles. along with different styles for other things.

don't see why women couldn't do many of the jobs men could. theres women cops, firefighters, pilots, combat engineers, etc.

ominous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 5:40 pm

sly279 wrote:
whats a pram?

stroller

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 5:47 pm

ominous wrote:
sly279 wrote:
whats a pram?

stroller

ah that makes more sense than "Pregnancy Risk Assessment Monitoring System" which is what showed up in my google results.

so its a english word for stroller. always interesting that we both speak english but yet have so many different words and meanings.

ominous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 5:55 pm

sly279 wrote:
ominous wrote:
sly279 wrote:
whats a pram?

stroller

ah that makes more sense than "Pregnancy Risk Assessment Monitoring System" which is what showed up in my google results.

so its a english word for stroller. always interesting that we both speak english but yet have so many different words and meanings.

:lmao: What a strange and hilarious google result for such a common word. :D

Australian English has its own set of different words and meanings for things, too. I sort of love etymology and linguistics.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 6:20 pm

I very much enjoy "E and L" myself!

I regret that I lost my OED 30 years ago!

It was really a coup for me to get that dictionary! It had a magnifying glass! I got it off one of those "book clubs" that they had in those days. 99 cents--regularly $99!

I'll have to ask a professor friend of mine if I could access my alma mater's database, so I could get the OED again!

I love it how they state when the word was first "used" in print. The Webster's certainly doesn't do that!

ominous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 6:25 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I very much enjoy "E and L" myself!

I regret that I lost my OED 30 years ago!

It was really a coup for me to get that dictionary! It had a magnifying glass! I got it off one of those "book clubs" that they had in those days. 99 cents--regularly $99!

Wow, that's a fantastic price. It's quite expensive to subscribe to online, too. I have perpetual access due to being a perpetual student.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 6:31 pm

Fortunately, I'm seeing my ex-professor next Monday. She was my linguistics professor. I'll ask her if the college still gives alums access to the database where the OED is on.

She looks androgynous; her husband wishes she looked even more androgynous; he doesn't like the fact that she wears makeup.

ominous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 6:56 pm

Good luck with the access, kortie!~

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 7:02 pm

Thanks!

I'm optimistic that I will get that access.

Then I could get the OED for free!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 7:31 pm

"Pram" is short-form for "Parambulator". This is mostly a British term, and can mean either a baby carriage (or "Stroller" in the States) or a surveyor's wheel (used to measure distances on the ground).

"Feminist" is a person who is interested in bringing parity in education, employment, and housing to women and men, usually by elevating the social state of women in general (as opposed to denigrating or exploiting men in general).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 8:04 pm

the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.

collection of movements and ideologies that share a common goal: to define, establish, and achieve equal political, economic, cultural, personal, and social rights for women.

organized activity in support of women's rights and interests

if modern feminism is really more about equal rights for both sexes and removing bad society roles placed on both sexs, the name needs changes, I think the resistance to a name change shows more than I could say. would females support the menism rights group who now fights for equality for all or would they have something against the fact men is in the name? how can a group with female in the name possible stand for all rights, atleast its bad marketing.

i think feminism scares off many men and women who actually support their ideas. which is why i push that its time for a new name and reorganization. but men can't have a say in feminism as then they oppressing women <- that is a us vs them mindset that really needs to go.

nothing wrong with letting go of the past(feminism) and looking to the future(non gender based new group)
feminist are going have a hard time reach others as long as they have a name that is gender based, and have outspoken extremists. I am pro women rights and yet get attacked by feminist quite a bit. just pushes people like me away. you don't win politics by fighting the other side or playing to your side, you win it by getting the middle ground people that represent the true majority. most people aren't part of any one side but fall in the middle where they don't care much. better to attract them to your cause the push them away aye?

ominous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 8:07 pm

Yet another thread that is strangely populated by men's opinions in the women's forum. Still hoping to hear from women who are interested in a women's discussion group somewhere 'safe' online. We could Skype to 'see' each other prior to approval, etc.

ominous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 8:12 pm

Here's a link for people who still wonder why there are feminists or why we need feminism, specifically for the butthurt men who probably won't bother reading the link anyhow.

http://womanstats.org/newmapspage.html

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 8:16 pm

being as theres no gender option on wp anymore how do you know whos a man or not?

why is it the us's job to deal with women's rights outside the us? it isn't so how does women's rights in african relate to women's rights in the us? it doesnt'

where I live women are employed more than men, in higher positions more then men. at my job most the bosses and higher ups are women. so at least here feminism worked. we also haven't had racist problems here. I can't speak for other areas I hear the south isn't good for either. i grew up raised by women in a area with pretty much openness and equal rights for all .

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 8:28 pm

from what I remember from when wp did have genders, theres like 1 woman here for every 10-20 guys, which would explain why guys post here otherwise it would probably be less active. only solution would be making it hidden from guys but then thats sexist and is used by women to rant/complain about guys without the other side to defend themselves. i wish there was a guys forum so we could complain bout the women here >.> (not really just being sarcastic) though I would like to see a men's forum and a outdoors/guns forum. maybe its cause I've always related more to women then men, but I don't see why women would want to exclude all guys from talking to them o.O I keep out of the topics I can't relate too such as periods, cramps, shaving legs etc, unless its asking for opinions from both sexes,