What do you find confusing about the "NT World"?

Page 9 of 10 [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

SIDWULF
Raven
Raven

31 Mar 2015, 3:49 pm

TheAP wrote:
SIDWULF wrote:
I don't understand why the inglish langwidg has such atrosish spelling. I am starting a revolution and speling evry wurd xactly how it sownds. f*k ilogical speling.

Yes I am very seareeus. Downt laf.

I agre, speling iz so cunfewzing! I think we shud al jist spel evrething fonetikle frum now on. Gud luk with yor revalushun!

lol, viva le revalushun!

princessarachne
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Mar 2015, 4:16 pm

SMALL TALK

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 6:31 am

Know what I find confusing about the NT world? Beyoncé.

nomoretears
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2015, 10:10 am

jimmyboy76453 wrote:

lolz How about the Kardashians?

Let's add...I'd like to add going out of your way to be nice to someone you don't like. I went volunteering with grandma. When we were leaving, we ran into someone she knew ( a guy and wife and kids). They talked for like 15min. She asked about his wife and kids. They talked talked talked. She could have said hi or not even acknowledged him...but no...they had to talk. When were walked away and were out of earshot, she goes on and on about how he's a liar and she can't stand him. 0_o

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 11:02 am

nomoretears wrote:
jimmyboy76453 wrote:

lolz How about the Kardashians?

Let's add...I'd like to add going out of your way to be nice to someone you don't like. I went volunteering with grandma. When we were leaving, we ran into someone she knew ( a guy and wife and kids). They talked for like 15min. She asked about his wife and kids. They talked talked talked. She could have said hi or not even acknowledged him...but no...they had to talk. When were walked away and were out of earshot, she goes on and on about how he's a liar and she can't stand him. 0_o

Yeah, the Kardashians can cram it. (And probably do.)

Totally agree on the being nice thing; I have a hard time being rude to people I don't like, so I usually pretend I'm really engrossed in something else and didn't see them. Once, while I was checking out at the grocery store, this lady got in line behind me who used to be my boss. She was a real b*tch and bullied me horribly at work until she finally got me fired. She said, real loud, "Oh, hi, James!" I should have told her to piss off; after all, no one is paying me to be nice to her anymore. But I knew I wouldn't be able to do that, so I just totally ignored her. My face was as red as a lobster, so I know she knew I heard her, but I just paid for my groceries and walked away. Usually, ignoring people works pretty well. I'm trying to enforce in myself the fact that I don't have to acknowledge anyone I couldn't give a crap about. Being rude is too hard, but looking right at them and walking away is totally something I can do.

dryope
Toucan
Toucan

03 Apr 2015, 7:56 am

jimmyboy76453 wrote:
YES!! ! "Fart" is funny? Mentioning something sexual without putting it into any sort of context is supposed to be funny?? Annoying noises are supposed to be funny? Someone falling down or getting hit in the crotch with something is supposed to be funny?? Doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever.

I just have to point this out: hello, yes! NTs say aspies don't have a sense of humor but I have a really good sense of humor. I usually think of the jokes before they show up in TV/movies and a lot of the time they use the jokes I thought of and discarded. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm some sort of brilliant joke-teller -- just, I can. And I don't understand this bizarre obsession most people have with finding the profane/sexual funny just because it's profane/sexual. Meh. So someone farted. So you made a pun. I just don't get it.

Anyway, sorry, that was like, page 6 of this thread. But I just wanted to highlight how great jimmyboy76453's point was.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2015, 1:18 pm

jimmyboy76453 wrote:
Once, while I was checking out at the grocery store, this lady got in line behind me who used to be my boss. She was a real b*tch and bullied me horribly at work until she finally got me fired. She said, real loud, "Oh, hi, James!"

People like that usually don't even bother to put on an act with me. I guess they already know I'm not going to play along.

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2015, 6:20 pm

dryope wrote:
[I just wanted to highlight how great jimmyboy76453's point was.

Hey, thanks! I guess it was worth it to be the only second-grader in my school who didn't crack up at "pull my finger." :?

voleregard
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: A magical place without backup warning beepers or leaf blowers

07 Apr 2015, 3:15 am

The appeal of Theatrics. On all levels: rock "front-man" performances, crazy-man late night (or carlot) sales pitches, drama/movies that make obvious attempts to evoke emotions on clearly inorganic, manufactured premises, clowning, parades with supposed "stirring" music, Mardi Gras costumed street dancing, etc.

untilwereturn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Apr 2015, 9:27 am

DailyPoutine1 wrote:
I'm confused by their lack of knowledge and how rudimentary their sense of humor is. I also don't get how they take advantage of certain situations without caring of how others are affected by their decisions.

You have an interesting perspective, and I tend to agree. I find humor in juxtaposing multiple things and taking maxims to logical but absurd lengths that a lot of NTs (not all) seem to find off-putting.

A recent example: I saw an inspirational retweet a couple of nights ago that asked something along the lines of "Why are you letting society decide what you should pursue?" I replied and said something like: "Good point. I was on my way to becoming a male stripper, but society tried to stop me just because I'm overweight, middle-aged and unattractive." (Except I think the specific wording was more clever than I can recall now.)

I thought it was pretty funny, but I'm guessing from the lack of any kind of reply that my joke fell flat. Of course I got the meaning of the original tweet, but I was trying to be funny in a self-deprecating kind of way, for the purpose of showing the inherent limitations of a maxim. I like constructing jokes that have multiple targets, but I think most NT people have trouble seeing the irony in that sort of humor.

Bondkatten
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 10:10 am

untilwereturn wrote:
A recent example: I saw an inspirational retweet a couple of nights ago that asked something along the lines of "Why are you letting society decide what you should pursue?" I replied and said something like: "Good point. I was on my way to becoming a male stripper, but society tried to stop me just because I'm overweight, middle-aged and unattractive." (Except I think the specific wording was more clever than I can recall now.)

I thought it was pretty funny, but I'm guessing from the lack of any kind of reply that my joke fell flat. Of course I got the meaning of the original tweet, but I was trying to be funny in a self-deprecating kind of way, for the purpose of showing the inherent limitations of a maxim. I like constructing jokes that have multiple targets, but I think most NT people have trouble seeing the irony in that sort of humor.

I liked your joke :)

Anyways I don't like platitudes and empty meaningless bull, I mean like there are so many sayings about how you should be yourself and so on, but it's all not true, shallow difference is accepted, anything deeper is rejected.

untilwereturn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Apr 2015, 12:33 pm

Bondkatten wrote:
untilwereturn wrote:

Anyways I don't like platitudes and empty meaningless bull, I mean like there are so many sayings about how you should be yourself and so on, but it's all not true, shallow difference is accepted, anything deeper is rejected.

Thanks. :) And I agree. It's great to tell people to be themselves, but usually when people say things like that they mean, "Be an individual but only within the narrow social constructs that most people already accept and understand."

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 1:26 pm

untilwereturn wrote:
Bondkatten wrote:
untilwereturn wrote:

Thanks. :) And I agree. It's great to tell people to be themselves, but usually when people say things like that they mean, "Be an individual but only within the narrow social constructs that most people already accept and understand."

I giggled.

Bondkatten
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 1:36 pm

untilwereturn wrote:

I never understood it, I mean it feels so false and borderline cruel. What is the point of it? It's like someone decided to try to be nice and give hope to the "hopeless", but to me it feels like they are just adding insult to injury since they seem to think that all “hopeless” must be terrible stupid on top of it all…

dryope
Toucan
Toucan

07 Apr 2015, 10:46 pm

Like the endless obsession most NTs seem to have with vapid quotes. "Laugh, learn, love" etc. Whatever, guys. I see it pasted in their journals (why not write something original?), in their scrapbooks, and even on the walls of their houses. I have posters about a time travel agency on my walls.

Scaevitas
Raven
Raven

07 Apr 2015, 10:59 pm

That I never knew before I came to WP that there was terminology associated with those that distinguish between "normal", from "abstract".

I think Neurotypical & Neurodiverse are such silly terms, and I refuse to use them. I may seem odd compared to many of those who live differently than I do, but besides the underlying difficulties I have than those who face life with relative ease, I prefer to find solace into believing that I have a lot of appreciable attributes that many others don't seem to have.

In a sense, I consider myself unique. Though I try to stay away from that label as well, since there is a lot of confusion behind the use of that word.