When people talk about what they know very little about

Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 2:19 pm

Right now I have it on The View, this insipidly done talk show on CBS. I normally don't watch it but I am about to leave and just passing time until then.

They are discussing this kid who went to school with a new hair cut and the principal says the hair cut looks too much like one a gang banger wears and she modified it and disciplined the student for wearing it to school. The parent is throwing a fit, saying her kid is not a gang banger and the principal had no right to modify the kid's do with a magic marker.

Now, this woman on The View, her name is Sharon Osborn, is going on and on about how this kid has the right to wear the hair cut to school, the "older" generation just doesn't "get" the younger one. It's just typical rock and roll rhetoric for the ears of the rock and roll crowd since her hubby is rocker Ozzy Osborn.
What bothers me about her speech is, her husband has made a ton of money with his music they can afford to send their kids to private prep schools that see no problem at all with gangs or anything like that so HOW WOULD SHE EVEN HAVE ANY IDEA OF WHAT SHE IS TALKING ABOUT?

She is not even on the front lines dealing with the problem.

The kid is wearing stuff to school that can get him shot or killed or other kids shot or killed. That is the reality. Deal with it.

I think it's important to remind ourselves the ones who are out there dealing with the harsh realities everyday are going to know a bit more about it than the rest of us.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 2:46 pm

When I saw the subject, I thought you were talking about PPR...

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Feb 2015, 3:47 pm

Oh the irony...

On topic, Sharon is right. Having a certain haircut doesn't make you a gangbanger and the principal is an idiot for thinking that.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 3:49 pm

The subject of this thread reminded me of so many posts on WP, but eh people are like that, you are like that, I am like that. Nearly everyone is.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 4:10 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Oh the irony...

On topic, Sharon is right. Having a certain haircut doesn't make you a gangbanger and the principal is an idiot for thinking that.

See things from a different perspective. What if others don't think that and they decide to strike out against the kid because of a misunderstanding? That is why they ban stuff like this, to keep the kids from fighting. I fully support any principal who puts the safety of all children first and foremost. Everything else is superficial compared to that.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 4:12 pm

Zajie wrote:
The subject of this thread reminded me of so many posts on WP, but eh people are like that, you are like that, I am like that. Nearly everyone is.

It's not nearly as annoying when it's on WP because most of us don't have that much influence but people listen to celebrities and give them credibility when they are just talking out their asses a lot of the time. They don't have the experience or authority in the area. They are just talking and people are expected to listen and believe merely because they are celebrities.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 4:25 pm

Once we realize that celebrities, after all, are merely PEOPLE, I think we'd be a lot better off.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 4:31 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Zajie wrote:

It's not nearly as annoying when it's on WP because most of us don't have that much influence but people listen to celebrities and give them credibility when they are just talking out their asses a lot of the time. They don't have the experience or authority in the area. They are just talking and people are expected to listen and believe merely because they are celebrities.

I think there are so many people who get influenced from what they see/read in real life or internet but I agree with you celebrities influence more than a regular person would. I hope people would stop listening to things without independently thinking about them.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 4:32 pm

Freedom is NOT free;

Never has been never will be.

Some folks are willing to die for IT.

Some folks are willing to be afraid of IT,

and DO in effect eliminate
the greater potential for IT,

by their overall, fearful ways...

ONE and the ONLY THING FOR for sure IS,

"IT'S" ALWAYS AT LEAST, '50 shades of Grey'....

And NOT even

JUST,

RED, WHITE, AND BLUE......

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 5:04 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
Oh the irony...

See things from a different perspective. What if others don't think that and they decide to strike out against the kid because of a misunderstanding? That is why they ban stuff like this, to keep the kids from fighting. I fully support any principal who puts the safety of all children first and foremost. Everything else is superficial compared to that.

But he didn't really put the kid's safety first. There is no evidence that this is a gang haircut.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2015/02/26/family-claims-principal-used-marker-to-color-in-haircut-because-it-looked-gang-related/
Quote:
Coronado Middle School administrators reportedly told Kobi that his haircut could be interpreted as gang-related

"could be interpreted as" is pretty weak for gang affiliation. In any case, if he was in any danger of receiving a gang-related beating (or whatever the kids do these days) that issue would have come up already

Quote:
Monica Esquivel told KCBD that her son, Kobi, actually had the haircut in question for about five months prior to the incident. It was only last week that administrators told her son that his haircut was a “distraction” and proceeded to color in the lines. Kobi’s hairstyle features a shaved line on the side of his head.

There is no way this was a gang haircut if it went un-retaliated against for 5 months. I don't know what preceded the marker incident. But I do know that when it comes to distractions, having the principal color the kid's head with marker would top the list for "most distracting event" that day. It was probably all the kids talked about all day, if not all week. Middle schoolers are intensely focused on appearance and fitting in. This would be the day's distracting hot topic.

On to Sharon Osborn. It is quite possible that she has no understanding of 'no gang colors' school rules. She comes from the rock'n'roll aesthetic of fly-your-freak-flag-high hair styles. It is also unlikely that whatever dress code in effect at her kids' school (if there was one, not all schools have them) addressed gang affiliation. But so what? She may have looked at this case and decided that it didn't really have anything to do with gangs or preventing show of gang affiliation. And from the news story, it doesn't. The gang angle looks more like a grab-the-nearest-plausible-reason ploy of administration to cover up what really was a minor act of assault.

If it really was a gang issue, that would have come up the very first day he walked in to school with it. If it really was a necessity of covering up gang signage, a hat works better than a marker. Other school systems have a grab bag of cover clothes that they make kids put on over offensive t-shirts and such. Why not hand him a hat?

The assistant principal overstepped. Osborn didn't really address that. But I don't think having a kid in a public school system with gangs should be a pre-condition for commenting on this.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 5:43 pm

Anna, how many children have you raised to adulthood?

Mrs. Ozzy has raised atleast one daughter to adulthood that I am aware of.

So she does have some expertise in child rearing, and school kid sheparding.

She has her opinion, and you have yours.
I don't see how she is commiting any kind of crime by sounding off.
She might be wrong. But being wrong per se is not a crime.

It is true that at one point during the depth of the "crack wars" in the 1980's an inner city school child could get killed in school for wearing the wrong colors. Not so much true here in the US today. And it was never true even in the roughest neighborhood schools in Sharon Osbourne's home in the UK (the murder rate in here DC in the 80's was many times the murder rate in Northern Ireland during the height of "the troubles").

So I can see your pov. But I can see hers. Being a celeb doesn't make her more of an authority on anything, but it doesnt make her any less of an authority on anything either.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 8:40 pm

Janissy wrote:
But he didn't really put the kid's safety first. There is no evidence that this is a gang haircut.

Janissy, now you are doing the same thing. You are making the same kind of call when your child doesn't go to this school so neither of us have any direct experience with it yet making a judgment about someone who is at that school everyday and has been for years, probably a lot longer than the kid has gone there. Why should we be the ones who make that call? What qualifications do you or I have? It's a matter for the ones involved to resolve, not people all around the country who have never stepped foot in that school.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 9:33 pm

Is there some sort of irony hall of fame we can submit this to?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 9:39 pm

Dox47 wrote:

I am just presenting the argument media butt out of it because most people don't know what they are talking about and are so removed from the reality, they cannot accurately assess but the media stuck it's nose in, now look.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 10:08 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Dox47 wrote:

I am just presenting the argument media butt out of it because most people don't know what they are talking about and are so removed from the reality, they cannot accurately assess but the media stuck it's nose in, now look.

So...

If a know-nothing opines on traditional media it's wrong.

But if a know-nothing opines on NEW media it's perfectly alright?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 10:10 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Dox47 wrote:

And yet, if you followed your own advice, you'd post much less...