Does God follow his WORD? Or is it --- do as I say and not a

Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2015, 12:09 pm

Does God follow his WORD? Or is it --- do as I say and not as I do?

Romans 12:21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

Job 2;3 And the LORD said unto Satan: 'Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a whole-hearted and an upright man, one that feareth God, and shunneth evil? and he still holdeth fast his integrity, although thou didst move Me against him, to destroy him without cause.'

The main and worst time God also replies to evil with evil is when he puts most of us to death in the lake of fire.

From what I have read in scriptures, God does not follow the advice that he gives in his WORD. The above shows him overcome by evil and replying with evil.

Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

If we are to emulate God as scriptures say we should, should we too ignore his WORD the way he does?

At the end of days and in many biblical stories of the past, God is overcome by evil and responds with evil while telling us we should respond with good.

Which example should we follow; what God says or what God does?

I think that if God is saying, --- do as I say and not as I do, ---- that that is an immoral example that only a satanic demiurge would say. Yet it appears that that is what God is saying.

Should we follow God, --- or his advice and WORD?

They are not the same. One is good the other evil.

Regards
DL

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2015, 3:07 pm

If God really existed then...he would have the right to "think of himself as God".

How is he doing evil?

Burning us in hell? He is presumably punishing us for wrong doing, so how is that evil?

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2015, 7:37 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
If God really existed then...he would have the right to "think of himself as God".

How is he doing evil?

Burning us in hell? He is presumably punishing us for wrong doing, so how is that evil?

Because the punishment wouldn't fit the crime.
Because the "crime" is that of merely existing.
Because, according to scripture, the reason you exist is because a divine being created you guilty, and it demands contrition, that you take responsibility for its actions.
Because any being who issues the commandment "thou shalt not kill" and then commits genocide is an inherently evil one.

The biblical god is the omnipotent equivalent of a child assaulting a colony of ants with gleeful abandon.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 12:00 am

GnosticBishop wrote:
Does God follow his WORD?

You can call a halt right there.
There are at least two obvious assumptions in that question, and a bunch of other subtle assumptions.
Let's break it down.

"Does God..."
Does God what? Everything we know about God is written by humans, through anthropomorphic devices.
"Does God" also immediately assumes God exists, and exists as we define him/her/it.

"follow his..." Once again, we ascribe anthropomorphic events, actions, consequences to the deity we have created.

"follow his Word" And here we have the nub of the argument. Circular affirmation of God's existence. If it's God's word, then he must exist. Otherwise, just whose word is it really?

Is there a way a skeptic can ask this question without making the assumption? Probably not, because the question is already the assumption.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 2:12 am

Narrator wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:

There are at least two obvious assumptions in that question, and a bunch of other subtle assumptions.
Let's break it down.

"Does God..."
Does God what? Everything we know about God is written by humans, through anthropomorphic devices.
"Does God" also immediately assumes God exists, and exists as we define him/her/it.

"follow his..." Once again, we ascribe anthropomorphic events, actions, consequences to the deity we have created.

"follow his Word" And here we have the nub of the argument. Circular affirmation of God's existence. If it's God's word, then he must exist. Otherwise, just whose word is it really?

Is there a way a skeptic can ask this question without making the assumption? Probably not, because the question is already the assumption.

I am sure that the OP has heard of atheism. No need to inform him of its existence. So thats beside the point.

The OP is asking about the internal logic of the Bible, not the external logic.

A "skeptic" can still treat "God" as a character, and can discuss the Bible as a piece of literature (like Miss Marple, or Harry Potter), without having to "believe" the Bible in any factual sense.

In fact I am sure that thats where the OP is going with this anyway- concluding that the Bible doesnt even have internal logic (so why even worry about the external logic?).

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 12:20 pm

The bible is a BIG book of free verse poetry COMPOSED by many deeper thinking minds than the
common heard of herd of human being.

And this site is a good example of what happens when free verse poetry is introduced into the mix of
OVERALL LITERAL THINKERS.

Some folks think literally and some folks are better at creating, expressing, and understanding metaphor.

In an increasingly materialistic mechanical cognition oriented society based on materialistic goals rather than experiencing NOW in flesh and blood connection, the problem is an increasingly concrete environmentally produced HUMAN mind that is functionally disabled to even come close to understanding metaphors in great works of ART IN free verse poetry, whether that be in the words of the bible, or suited up pilgrims watching Indians dance 'WILDLY UNCIVILIZED' with 'GOD'; the great spirit; Mother Nature TRUE OR WHATEVER THE ESSENCE OF TRUTH AND LIGHT OF HUMAN WISDOM EXPRESSED IN TRUTH can be fully realized, as such in effective AFFECT OF COMMUNICATION, for those who even have the potential to understand it, IN PRACTICE, in an illusory culture of materialistic ways of collecting goods instead of sharing flesh and blood ways of subsistence and cooperation, as a real need for SURVIVAL.

GOD LIVES WITHIN, AND WORDS ARE ONLY METAPHORS TO APPROXIMATE THE truth of that innate instinct and intuition of human light and truth that humans come prepackaged with from birth, to one day butterfly in light out of dark cocoon of culture.... at least in theory AND PRACTICE WHEN IT WORKS AS IS....

IT WORKS FOR ME AND THAT IS WHAT I KNOW FOR SURE NOW, AS IRREFUTABLY EVIDENCED, at least in my case.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 4:34 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

How is he doing evil?

What finite sin do you know of that is deserving of infinite punishment?

Why is punishment given? To cause a change and rehabilitate. Right?

Even if one changes his attitude and rehabilitates in hell, God still destroys that soul, and that is quite immoral and evil. Right?

If God is the only God then what Gods are we not supposed to put above him?

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 4:36 pm

adifferentname wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

How is he doing evil?

Because, according to scripture, the reason you exist is because a divine being created you guilty, and it demands contrition, that you take responsibility for its actions.
Because any being who issues the commandment "thou shalt not kill" and then commits genocide is an inherently evil one.

The biblical god is the omnipotent equivalent of a child assaulting a colony of ants with gleeful abandon.

Yes and shows the level of morality in those who adore such a God.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 4:36 pm

adifferentname wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

How is he doing evil?

Yes and shows the level of morality in those who adore such a God.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 4:42 pm

Narrator wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:

Let's break it down.

"Does God..."

All that is said of Gods, all the Gods, is conjecture, assumption, unverifiable and speculative. No argument.

What I am comparing here is the mythical God Christians believe to be real and what the bible says. They are contradicting each other.

As a Gnostic Christian, I believe that the only God fit to rule men is a man.

Regards
DL

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 4:45 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:

What are you talking about. God is obviously female.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 4:46 pm

aghogday wrote:
The bible is a BIG book of free verse poetry COMPOSED by many deeper thinking minds than the

And this site is a good example of what happens when free verse poetry is introduced into the mix of

Some folks think literally and some folks are better at creating, expressing, and understanding metaphor.

In an increasingly materialistic mechanical cognition oriented society based on materialistic goals rather than experiencing NOW in flesh and blood connection, the problem is an increasingly concrete environmentally produced HUMAN mind that is functionally disabled to even come close to understanding metaphors in great works of ART IN free verse poetry, whether that be in the words of the bible, or suited up pilgrims watching Indians dance 'WILDLY UNCIVILIZED' with 'GOD'; the great spirit; Mother Nature TRUE OR WHATEVER THE ESSENCE OF TRUTH AND LIGHT OF HUMAN WISDOM EXPRESSED IN TRUTH can be fully realized, as such in effective AFFECT OF COMMUNICATION, for those who even have the potential to understand it, IN PRACTICE, in an illusory culture of materialistic ways of collecting goods instead of sharing flesh and blood ways of subsistence and cooperation, as a real need for SURVIVAL.

GOD LIVES WITHIN, AND WORDS ARE ONLY METAPHORS TO APPROXIMATE THE truth of that innate instinct and intuition of human light and truth that humans come prepackaged with from birth, to one day butterfly in light out of dark cocoon of culture.... at least in theory AND PRACTICE WHEN IT WORKS AS IS....

IT WORKS FOR ME AND THAT IS WHAT I KNOW FOR SURE NOW, AS IRREFUTABLY EVIDENCED, at least in my case.

Gnostic Christian Jesus would agree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alRNbes ... r_embedded

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 4:50 pm

starkid wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:

Yes. God was indeed a Goddess for about 20,000 years before the Bronze Age. That is about the time that men started building weapons powerful enough for us to war against each other in tribes and that is also when they began to build fortified cities to protect themselves. That was also about when the war Gods were invented by men of war.

Regards
DL

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 4:57 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:
aghogday wrote:

Gnostic Christian Jesus would agree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alRNbes ... r_embedded

Regards
DL

Thanks for linking that Youtube Video again by Alan Watts with 'Book of Eli' Music to accompany IT.

I watched through the entire video the first time you linked it and agreed with
every word in discernment of Truth AND that is unusual for me
in TOTALITY LIKE THAT
per the view of others.

Alan Watts GETS IT.

HE IS very wise in discerning TRUTH PER THE TRULY GOOD NEWS
OF A POWERFUL son of GOD (Jesus) THAT SAYS 'You are too'..:)!

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 5:53 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

How is he doing evil?

What finite sin do you know of that is deserving of infinite punishment?

Why is punishment given? To cause a change and rehabilitate. Right?

Even if one changes his attitude and rehabilitates in hell, God still destroys that soul, and that is quite immoral and evil. Right?

If God is the only God then what Gods are we not supposed to put above him?

Regards
DL

Don't view hell has a punishment. Generally that's not the case. God is merciful and will allow us to go where we choose. God won't force anyone to be with him in Heaven for eternity. Heaven is a gift that we are free to reject. If everyone went to heaven regardless, it would not be a gift because it would then be forced on us.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 9:36 am

starkid wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:

To a female, of course.

For men, Freud came up with the Father Complex and obviously women wold have a Mother Complex.

The only God fit to rule men and women is a man or a woman.

That is how it has always been and all we have ever had.

Who but a man can express the will of God?

There have always only been men and women of good hearts able to express God’s will.

Like Jesus and his wife who preached to seek God perpetually even after finding a bit of him or her within the self.

We are to perpetually raise the bar of excellence for ourselves and our God.

Regards
DL