You learn something new everyday: what did you learn today?

Page 15 of 142 [ 2257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 142  Next

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 8:12 pm

Chimerism can occur in humans.

WitchsCat wrote:
That astronauts are required to learn Russian as a language as part of extensive training, and need to run the ISS using Russian-language instruction books if needed.

This too.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 10:11 pm

That the sands on our beaches supposedly contain more filthy bacteria from bodily waste than the water itself. But that could just be more media sensationalism.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 10:54 pm

it's easy to lose track of time while surfing the web.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2015, 5:13 pm

The words "this", "that", and "it" are pronouns.

Love transcends all.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2015, 7:21 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
That the sands on our beaches supposedly contain more filthy bacteria from bodily waste than the water itself. But that could just be more media sensationalism.

well waste that lies on the beach is gonna sit there more than anything in the ocean will. it decays more slowly.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2015, 5:39 am

Learning about similarities in national flags.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2015, 5:13 pm

I learned from the Humane Society that black cats and dogs take longer to place in homes. My veterinarian said it was because of superstition.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

25 Sep 2015, 8:05 pm

I learned I should not take a 2nd Vivarin(which is a caffeine pill) while the 1st is still in my system. I took 1 cuz I was feeling tired I drained & I spent a couple hours in bed & still felt tired & even more drained so I took a 2nd one. Shorlty after I noticed I was feeling alittle shaky, abit jittery, hyper & harder to focus. I took a Klonopin to help contract those effects but it hasn't fully kicked in yet thou it did help some. I was on Abilify & Strattera before & they both made me shaky, a tad jittery & harder to focus. I think I should avoid trying any ADHD medication that's a stimulant which I think might be all those meds. I do generally have problems focusing & paying attention due to ADD but taking stimulants give me ADHD. I'm not sure how to treat my ADD now. I tried afew supplements in the past but they didn't help or they had paradoxical reactions & made me more tired & harder to focus. Now I'm going to put on some good dance music while I still feel alittle hyper.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 9:51 pm

that scarlatti and handel were the two best harpsichordists of the baroque. they once had a contest in venice.

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 9:56 pm

Its really hard finding relevant wallpapers when you accidentally leave a space between "1280" and "x" in the search bar.

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 10:48 pm

That Frank Sinatra released an album called Watertown in 1969 that's a pseudo-rock opera with Pet Sounds-esque orchestral backing. Needless to say it didn't do very well, but I think it sounds cool.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 1:40 pm

I've learned never to give up on myself whether it's finding my actual autistic oriented career path or being able to complete computer-related projects when they seemingly appear impossible..

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2015, 11:59 am

It was technically today since it was after midnight, as usual, but I was reading up on WikiHow about learning and understanding slang in different countries such as in the UK and even here in Canada. There are words and phrases that I never knew before in my own country or even my own province, especially the Southwestern part of Nova Scotia. For example "owly" means someone in a bad mood, and "lobby" is short for lobster.

I was surprised to find the term "sookie baby", which is something I heard and used my whole life. It either means a person who is a crybaby or a wimp, or a pet who is very affectionate and loves to snuggle with you. I often call my cat Mischief a sookie baby for this very reason but for years I have avoided saying it online because I was sure anyone outside of Cape Breton would not have a clue what that meant.

I read that in Ontario it's spelled and pronounced "sucky baby", but the the two meanings are the same.

I really don't get why it's okay to call ourselves "Canucks" but it's offensive if anyone else says it. It's almost like black people calling themselves the N word. :?

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2015, 12:06 pm

I also learned that sunsets on Pluto look blue. I didn't think Pluto even had its own sunset because it's so far away the sun would look like one of the other stars you see at night.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2015, 3:37 pm

After David Bowie released his album Low, Nick Lowe responded by releasing an album named Bowi. Both albums were released in 1977.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2015, 4:38 pm

I learned there are people who liken MS Windows to a fine beer and Linux to toilet water.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.