Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lazar_Kaganovich
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Apr 2015, 10:10 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Found this. Was shocked at first but I like how it puts the responsibility for rape prevention back on the man:

1 Don't put drugs in women's drinks.

2 When you see a woman walking by herself, leave her alone.

3 If you pull over to help a woman whose car has broken down, remember not to rape her.

4 If you are in an elevator and a woman gets in, don't rape her.

5 When you encounter a woman who is asleep, the safest course of action is to not rape her.

6 Never creep into a woman's home through an unlocked door or window, or spring out at her from between parked cars, or rape her.

7 Remember, people go to the laundry room to do their laundry. Do not attempt to molest someone who is alone in a laundry room.

8 Use the Buddy System! If it is inconvenient for you to stop yourself from raping women, ask a trusted friend to accompany you at all times.

9 Carry a rape whistle. If you find that you are about to rape someone, blow the whistle until someone comes to stop you.

10 Don't forget: Honesty is the best policy. When asking a woman out on a date, don't pretend that you are interested in her as a person; tell her straight up that you expect to be raping her later. If you don't communicate your intentions, the woman may take it as a sign that you do not plan to rape her.

The original blog can be found here http://canyourelate.org/2011/05/24/rape-prevention-tips/

This should be "10 tips for rapists". Placing responsibility on the man certainly makes you look good, but IRL it has little to no effect on rape prevention. Rapists do what they do often knowing full well that it's wrong, as well as illegal, because they think they can get away with it.

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Apr 2015, 12:37 am

The best way to prevent rape is to carry a gun (if legal) and then shoot the rapists. Kubaton, pepper spray, and a knife are... less than viable alternatives, but they're better than nothing. Perhaps the number one rule is to never give up. Some jackasses will say that the safest thing for a woman to do is give in and let it happen. That is not true. It's completely possible and even probably in some cases that the rapist will kill her after he is done. Even if you're unarmed, you should do all you can to fight back. Don't hesitate to gouge his eyes out with your fingers or bite him anywhere you can reach. I'd recommend these books on the subject:

http://www.amazon.com/Meditations-Viole ... gy_b_img_y
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Black-Book ... f+violence

tl;dr fight with all the willpower you can muster; It is not in only training or strength that fights are won.

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Apr 2015, 12:42 am

Oh missed this one.

Lazar_Kaganovich wrote:
This should be "10 tips for rapists". Placing responsibility on the man certainly makes you look good, but IRL it has little to no effect on rape prevention. Rapists do what they do often knowing full well that it's wrong, as well as illegal, because they think they can get away with it.

Precisely. Rapists are evil, and they should all be castrated and thrown in prison. As a non-rapist with literally no aspirations to rape, I can honestly say that this list had no effect whatsoever on my potential to commit rape. It's kind of like a no-gun zone... people who want to kill (and rape) other people don't really care about rules or whatever. A rapist won't look at this list and say, "Oh boy, never thought of these before... now I won't be rapist anymore." He'll probably laugh instead. Since telling rapists to not rape women doesn't really work, (like most preventative measures against rapists) the best preventative measure is to carry a gun (as I said above). Alternatively, pretty much any weapon. Rape whistles don't work.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 10:37 am

This list isn't actually about rape prevention. It's aimed at people who think women bear the responsibility for being raped or not being raped. It's meant to remind those people that the rapist is responsible for their own actions.

It kind of misses the mark though, because it focuses mostly on situations where a woman might be raped by a stranger. Acquaintance rape, date rape, etc. are far more common. Most of the time the rapist is a person the woman knows...not some random guy who stepped into an elevator with her.