Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

HaleyK
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Mar 2015, 4:19 pm

Hi everyone. I recently made a video interviewing my brother, who has autism. We collaborated on what it feels like to be overstimulated by sound and were hoping to get some feedback from the larger Autism community.

Please take a look and let us know what you think, and feel free to share the video with others that would be impacted by it.

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Mar 2015, 6:46 pm

Are you looking for honest feedback or just general feedback?

HaleyK
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Mar 2015, 9:33 pm

kicker wrote:
Are you looking for honest feedback or just general feedback?

Yes and yes. One of our disclaimers is that overstimulation is not the case for everyone, because we anticipated some kickback on being too general, but please-let us honestly know what you think.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 10:34 pm

Where's the video?

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Mar 2015, 10:39 pm

I found the content to be a good general overview of overstimulation due to sound.

What I did find counterintuitive was that there was music playing over your brother's interview while he's talking about how difficult it is to concentrate on people when there is background noise. I found it difficult myself to pay attention to him as I was listening to the fingers slide along the strings of the guitar or the birds chirping. Enough so, that I had to play the video twice. Same is true for the scrolling paper part.

I do think it's a good video overall for the general public don't get me wrong. I did like it and would suggest it as a source for those who have trouble articulating what it is like.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 2:54 am

Yes, where is the video? I only see blank space.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 4:57 am

this makes a decent enough example of audio overstimulation indeed.

however, the overall audio is quite low; i had to crank both the video and my master volume beyond levels i'm comfortable with (electrical feedback buzz) to hear anything.

also, when your brother is talking, the camera angle keeps switching, which is quite annoying.

HaleyK
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Apr 2015, 8:53 am

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Here is a link for those of you who cannot see the embed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGUgrT_b-es

I never thought about the music over the video being something that would effect the reception, so thanks for the input! The camera switching is something we struggled with because of the extreme difficulty he had while filming, so the side cuts help the video to flow more without too many jump-cuts--- but I am a bit annoyed with them too! Basically they were editing decisions to enhance the width of the audience, but I will take those things into account next time!

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 5:47 am

There it is!

Well! The most clarifying bit is the noise example.
As mentioned before, the shifting camera angle is very distracting.

A bit more time to take in the list of audible/visual elements shown would be nice.
The speed of it took the focus away from your brothers message at that moment.

Otherwise, a good start - and your brother, btw., has a very pleasant voice.

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 5:57 am

The noise in the park example was very good. That explains quite well how overstimulation can occur in an environment making normal communication very difficult

- Albert Einstein

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 9:18 am

I had to turn off the sound for a while because I couldn't stand the noise. I'm not sure if it is a good thing or a bad thing that it acts like a trigger to me though.

HaleyK
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Apr 2015, 9:31 am

Kiriae wrote:
I had to turn off the sound for a while because I couldn't stand the noise. I'm not sure if it is a good thing or a bad thing that it acts like a trigger to me though.

The music, or the electric buzzing that a previous poster mentioned? I'm sorry for the sound editing on this video, it is something we are definitely going to have to change in the future. I think I will write a transcript of the video as well, so that it can be read instead of being watch and having the audio be a bother.

Thanks for the feedback!

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 2:44 pm

HaleyK wrote:
Kiriae wrote:

The music, or the electric buzzing that a previous poster mentioned? I'm sorry for the sound editing on this video, it is something we are definitely going to have to change in the future. I think I will write a transcript of the video as well, so that it can be read instead of being watch and having the audio be a bother.

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm not sure what exactly. The mix of sounds about 1:04. By 1:06 my speakers are turned off already. But I also have some noise here in my house, I am feeling a bit ill today and I generally need more focus to understand spoken English since it isn't my national language so it might have something to do with this too.

Anyway. The video point was to show what overstimulation is and it overstimulates me so I quess it does what it is supposed to do.

HaleyK
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Apr 2015, 3:16 pm

Kiriae wrote:
HaleyK wrote:
Kiriae wrote:

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm not sure what exactly. The mix of sounds about 1:04. By 1:06 my speakers are turned off already. But I also have some noise here in my house, I am feeling a bit ill today and I generally need more focus to understand spoken English since it isn't my national language so it might have something to do with this too.

Anyway. The video point was to show what overstimulation is and it overstimulates me so I quess it does what it is supposed to do.

Ah, that makes sense. I wanted that sequence to simulate what overstimulation feels like to those who do not know. I wanted those who do not have autism to think, "Wow, turn this off, it is so annoying!". Because that is the point--- to recognize how much it takes to overcome audio overstimulation. I realized in the making that it would trigger overstimulation for some, but I think it was an important part to keep in so that people can realize what it is like for those who experience it.

Thanks for you input!