naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2015, 12:39 am

starkid wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
starkid wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
We could always call ourselves "Gringos" I suppose. That would include Anglo Southerners as well as Anglo Northerners, but excludes the folks south of the Rio Grande.

...and the non-Anglos?

what about them?

I was wondering what the non-Anglos would be called, but I was thinking "Anglo" as in a person of European descent, whereas perhaps what was meant was Anglophone.

There is "Anglo America" (Canada and the USA) so called because it was settled by England. And there is "Latin America" ( from the Rio Grande down to the tip of Tierra del Fuego) which really should be called "Iberian America" because it was settled by Spain and Portugal. The subject is:what to call United Statesers other than "American". I facetiously said "Gringos" because thats what the Iberian Americans call us anyway. The folks in the Iberian American countries all already have proper names-the names of their specific countries: Mexicans, Brazilians, Honderans, Dominicans, Argentinians, and so forth. So you dont need to worry about what to call them.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2015, 12:47 am

naturalplastic wrote:
The folks in the Iberian American countries all already have proper names-the names of their specific countries: Mexicans, Brazilians, Honderans, Dominicans, Argentinians, and so forth. So you dont need to worry about what to call them.

I wasn't asking about people in Central and South America, I was asking about the portion of the U.S. population that is not of European descent.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2015, 10:47 am

starkid wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
The folks in the Iberian American countries all already have proper names-the names of their specific countries: Mexicans, Brazilians, Honderans, Dominicans, Argentinians, and so forth. So you dont need to worry about what to call them.

I wasn't asking about people in Central and South America, I was asking about the portion of the U.S. population that is not of European descent.

I know what your asking. I just explained that what you're asking is irrelevent, because we are talking about nationality, and not about ethnicity.

Beyonce, or the President, or any Black person descended from U.S. Antebellum African slaves is the product of Anglo American culture. And is an "Anglo", and is considered a "Gringo". And would be that in my scheme. Skin color/noneuropean descent has nothing to do with it. You're of Anglo American culture-so you're a Gringo.

An equally Black person of egual parts African ancestry arriving from the Dominican Republic would be "Hispanic", or "Latin", and not be "Anglo", nor "Gringo".

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2015, 2:23 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
I know what your asking. I just explained that what you're asking is irrelevent, because we are talking about nationality, and not about ethnicity.

Ok. That doesn't seem like what you explained at all because you brought up people outside the U.S and because Anglo is not a nationality.