Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

DataLore
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Apr 2015, 6:25 pm

Okay so I've been spending the whole day feeling pretty crappy because I can't really figure something out. My parents still buy me easter eggs and let me hunt them out while my baby brother is finding his, but I'm 22 so isn't this something I shouldn't be doing? I don't know if this is an acceptable level of weird or if someone will think I'm really childish for this. Opinions?

thewheel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Apr 2015, 6:56 pm

If you are doing it with your brother perhaps they see it as a family social activity? In my experience parents tend to treat their kids like children until forcibly told otherwise. If you've never rebelled against this then why would they do anything different?

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2015, 7:07 pm

Hi DataLore,

I'm also known as Q. Nice to meet you. :)

As for the family Easter egg hunt, as long as it's private and within the family, the main thing seems to be whether you enjoy it or not. Am not sure I would mention it outside the family.

My mom was still buying me comic books to put in my St. Nicholas Day stocking on December 6th while I was in college. I think that all ended the year that we were out in public together in a bookstore and she asked me if I preferred Spiderman or Archie? She finally realized how silly it looked when I pointed it out to her. Now I can look back on it and laugh ... makes a funny, nostalgic story. :D

Anyways, Happy Easter!

"It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine." -- REM

nomoretears
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Apr 2015, 8:00 pm

Im jelly. I want to hunt easter eggs!

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2015, 8:08 pm

I used to love hunting Easter eggs when I was a child but it isn't something I partake in now, at the age of 29. If it's something you want to do with your family, then why the hell not? It's not like you'd be hurting anybody. Other people might not be so accepting but at the end of the day they don't matter.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 3:34 am

No harm in it at all. It might be beneficial to your baby brother (depending on his age) for you to participate with him. Plus if it's a bit of fun for you, then who cares what people think?

This year I crudely decorated 15 cans of beer w/ sharpie markers & then hid them in my friend's garden at 1am for him and his brother to wake up to on Easter. They're 29 & ~24. They thought it was funny & thanked me for it. 8) I bet they'd have had a smile at real eggs hidden for them, too.

There is no age limit on having silly simple fun. Who cares what anyone else thinks? Obviously you're not childish or immature, so chances are people won't think you are & will realize you're just having a bit of Easter holiday fun with your younger brother. Anyone who has a problem with that is probably a pretty boring grumpy person who's opinion doesn't really matter.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 4:13 am

Nothing wrong with it at all. Free chocolate and Easter egg hunts are super fun. And as long as you enjoy it who cares.

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 4:39 am

I'm 60 and I would love to go on an Easter Egg hunt. My psychiatrist recently told me that if I feel so robbed a real childhood - maybe - I can try being a little bit more of a kid now. It's never too late.

- Albert Einstein

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 12:20 pm

Nothing wrong with that at all - I think it would be a blast 8)

If its any consolation, my loved ones still buy me LEGO and toy trains (including my wife) and I see nothing wrong with that either.

Life is short - do the things that make you smile. :D

GoldTails95
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Apr 2015, 3:05 pm

You're kidding me? I love Easter so much. I did the Easter Egg hunt again at 20 years old. In fact, my 21 year old NT brother did that too. I felt like if I was too old and I really wanted to act like a teen insetad of doing childish egg hunts, tough the nature of it refreshes me. In my cousin's house they had an easter egg hunt targeted for older kids and teens. They had prize carrots and there were confetti eggs which you could throw at someone and take one of their prize carrots from their baskets. Also, each player was assigned a color mine was yellow. But since the eggs I am supposed to hunt for were yellow, they blended into an environment and I lost.
Anyway, another joy I like about Easter is watching Easter cartoons. I like watching the 1971 'Here Comes Peter Cottontail' from the same producers of the 1964 classic Christmas cartoon, 'Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer'. These cartoons are done in the stop motion like 'Wallace and Gromit'. I liked that cartoon since I started watching it when I was like 2, 3, or 4 years old, sometime like that. And I still watch it every Easter since,

Plus, a few days ago, at age 20, I started watching another cartoon done by the same producers called the Easter Bunny is Coming to Town,

These cartoons to me the way they were animated like brings me back to life and my original mindset I had in imagination perception since I started watching these things. By the way, I first watched 1964 'Rudoplh the Red Nosed Reindeer' at 19 years old, which was several months ago

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 4:05 pm

If you like hunting for easter eggs, then do it, unless you're vulnerable to being ostracised by those who feel it to be too childish for you. If you dislike it, then refuse, unless you're vulnerable to being ostracised by those who think you should do it, or if you think it would hurt their feelings and make you feel guilty. It seems eccentric at your age, but I don't think that matters as such.

I haven't bothered with easter eggs at all since my childhood because I resent paying too much for chocolate. I like the concept though, shiny coloured foil, edible container, mysterious contents, the texture of the thin chocolate shell, the way it breaks 8) . I'd quite like to make my own easter eggs.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 4:15 pm

Surely at 22 Easter eggs are quite rotten and should be avoided at all costs. Whatever you do, don't eat them. The bright colors may still look tasty, but they're almost certainly spoiled.

DataLore
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Apr 2015, 2:17 pm

:'3 Thank you so much everyone for clearing this up.. I kinda feel like what the heck so long as it's just between the family then I may as well make the most of it. Hunting for things can be fun anyway, and my baby bro is only two so he needs help finding his anyway.. may as well have a quick search round for my own while we're at it! XD

will@rd - your comment actually made me spit coffee on my keyboard I hope you're proud of yourself roflmao. ;P

ToughDiamond - I like the way you put it.. weighing benefits to cons etc. Nobody else knows and I don't think I'll go spreading it around because yeah like you said it's eccentric, but finding things is inherently fun heh. The chocolate itself is kinda meh to me.. my sister normally ends up with all of mine.

GoldTails95 - Those cartoons are actually so cute! Kinda reminds me of bagpuss for some reason, even though that was waaay before my time. ^^'

eggheadjr - That IS a huge consolation actually! People always ask what kind of things I like on the lead up to my birthday, and I'm always afraid to tell them what I'd actually like.. always feel like I have to pick something 'grown up' pff. You're totally right though, life is too short to worry about these things, and if anyone is gonna side eye me for wanting Data and Lore figurines then they're waaaayy too judgemental anyway.

r2d2 - That's so true actually! I spent my whole childhood trying to be grown up so maybe this is payback! XD

tetris - I like your style, and the username. Korobushka is stuck in my head now though dammit!

goldfish21 - Holy s**t I think you actually just gave me a weird solution for feeling like a child around easter though! Maybe if we have to hunt anyway it should be little single shot bottles or something! I get to be a magpie for something with so much more reward than chocolate heh.

SilverProteus - Wise words, I like them! I never planned to spread it around, but just knowing how many other adults would love to do this kinda stuff is reassuring. :D

nomoretears - Come over here I've got plenty to hide for you!

the_phoenix - Hey there! Omfg Q... every quiz I've ever taken of the 'which tng character are you' variety always seems to give me Q at the end. What a guy! And it's gratifying to know that you were still getting comic books in college.. you're clearly a nice person and having 'kid' things for so long didn't change that! :D

thewheel - Hahaha this is true, but they only seem to treat me like a real kid on special occasions like this. All the rest of the time it's actually the opposite, to the point where a teeeensy bit of support would be nice. It's definitely a family thing though, always has been, it's just that I was wondering if I should close the door on it now. ^^'

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2015, 2:33 pm

DataLore wrote:
:'3 Thank you so much everyone for clearing this up.. I kinda feel like what the heck so long as it's just between the family then I may as well make the most of it. Hunting for things can be fun anyway, and my baby bro is only two so he needs help finding his anyway.. may as well have a quick search round for my own while we're at it! XD

goldfish21 - Holy s**t I think you actually just gave me a weird solution for feeling like a child around easter though! Maybe if we have to hunt anyway it should be little single shot bottles or something! I get to be a magpie for something with so much more reward than chocolate heh.

Your baby bro is only two? That could work out in your favour with the ladies... you might want to let it be known that you do things like this with/for your baby bro - I bet most girls would think it was super sweet of you. 8)

And yeah, you can "Adult" Easter suff for sure. Last year for my friend & his brother, I took two Kinder Surprise eggs & carefully removed the foil, split the chocolate, opened the plastic eggs, took the toys out, stuff them with weed and rollies, put them back in the chocolate & "welded" the chocolate eggs back together with the heat from a soldering iron and then put the foil wrappers back on just as they were. It went over really well. :D

DataLore
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Apr 2015, 3:07 pm

Heh... it might, although I'm mostly straight so unfortunately I won't be getting much 'use' out of that ploy. XD

... that is extremely clever though I might do that with silly adult toys for my friends, and watch them all blush. XD

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2015, 3:27 pm

DataLore wrote:
Heh... it might, although I'm mostly straight so unfortunately I won't be getting much 'use' out of that ploy. XD

... that is extremely clever though I might do that with silly adult toys for my friends, and watch them all blush. XD

Ha!

While I am gay, and so is my closest friend, and so is his younger brother.. I have no sexual relationship with either of them. I do things like this because I love my friend & his family. If you've ever read my story here on WP, my closest friend is an Herbalist and his father is a Naturopathic Doctor & they've significantly changed my life for the better over the last few years with what I've learned & done from and because of them. So, any chance I get to do something nice for them, I do. A bottle for his dad every holiday, Thanksgiving gifts for him & his dad because I'm so incredibly grateful for them in my life, Christmas presents for him, his brother, sister, and both of his parents etc - all out of love, not lust. Sure, I've had a crush on him that he's well aware of, but I'm not his type & I accept that. He knows I love him way more than any crush I could have on him and that's why I do the nice things I do for him. ie A couple nights ago I gave him an 8th because he's in a lot of pain w/ a severely sprained ankle and can barely leave the house. He was grateful for that and I got a wonderful hug for my kindness. I prefer to spend my time/money/energy on things like this vs. some ploy to get laid as I value people and moments like these far more. Besides, getting laid is ridiculously easy and doesn't really require any time/money/energy or ploys for me lol. Just saying. That's also what makes it so "meh" that I'd rather meet someone I care about.. all in due time. 8)