Page 2 of 12 [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 9:13 pm

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Girl_Kitten
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Jul 2015, 9:36 pm

Yeah, absolutely. Aspies can play basketball. Dogs can play basketball, too- I've seen it. I'd bet that the sucesses of an average individual of each group at high-intensity team sports is about equal, though, lol!

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 5:33 am

I played lots of sports but the only one I was good at was tennis. Unfortunately the sports I like the most are team sports and they are the ones I was weakest at playing.

reubz1123
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jul 2015, 3:45 am

Im an Aspie and I'm good at Football/Soccer whatever you call it and I am also good at short and long distance running and long jump and Hurdles :D

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 6:34 pm

I wasn't very good at sports as a kid, except for track, and for some reason I never followed through on that. As an adult I have finished 2 marathons, each one in less than 4 hours. I tried playing softball a few years ago for my Church. I had fun but still wasn't great at it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 6:44 pm

I finished two marathons in under 4 hours, one in over 4 hours.

Sean8573
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jul 2015, 8:56 pm

Maybe the flexibility/low muscle tone side is a big advantage for more precise movements/touch rather than clunky stiff movements. The hyper focus or ability to block out/ignore pain can help with endurance and determination. The low muscle tone and lack of co-ordination could be a disadvantage but once we learn something and adapt to it we excel. Use to take me half a day to mow a lawn, now I've been doing it as a business for 11 years I can do 12 a day. I've just learnt how to do it well and my body has adjusted.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 9:25 pm

I am certified as a Kung Fu instructor of a genuine Martial-Arts style that does actual Full-Contact practice & fighting so yes Aspies can become Athletic. You just need focusing your time into training.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 10:04 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I finished two marathons in under 4 hours, one in over 4 hours.

Which ones? I did the Philadelphia in 1997 and the Quad Cities (IL/IA) in 1998. Hope to do a half marathon this fall if I can stay healthy. I have had off and on knee problems and messed it up pretty good last august, and slightly reinjured it last month, but have been running again. As you can see, I haven't done any long distance races in a very long time.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 11:51 pm

1995-1997 NYC Marathon

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 5:39 am

Never made it onto any team sports in childhood, but done a lot of horse back riding at a competitive level. I think not being sensitive to pain in a regular way helped me in this regard, I wasn't afraid to take risks to win, and liked fast paced competitions like eventing. One time I fractured some fingers when I was unseated and sent flying into a concrete wall at the start of a three day competition, I splinted them together, held the reins differently and carried on in the competition. I went to the A&E after the final was over and I was placed third, so it was worth it at the time, but now I am more concerned about the long term implications of these type of injuries.

I recently started tag rugby, and ladies 7 a side rugby and I'm really enjoying both, unalike other team ball sports the skills required are less taxing on coordination, the focus is more on speed and agility. I run regularly, so that helps, and not being sensitive to pain in a regular way is also a bonus.
But I am struggling with coordination while running, proprioception and spatial awareness with regard to moving as one unit and predicting the plays which I need to be a part of.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 5:51 am

Yeah...I tended to struggle, too, in American football contexts when I was younger---especially as regards the placement and the movements of the other runners. This is why I was pretty heedless when I ran into a bunch of people. Fortunately, I was short and stocky, and had a low center of gravity, so I was hard to tackle. I took pride in my touchdown abilities--despite my inability to discern the patterns of the other team.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 6:52 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yeah...I tended to struggle, too, in American football contexts when I was younger---especially as regards the placement and the movements of the other runners. This is why I was pretty heedless when I ran into a bunch of people. Fortunately, I was short and stocky, and had a low center of gravity, so I was hard to tackle. I took pride in my touchdown abilities--despite my inability to discern the patterns of the other team.

That's interesting. Even as an athletic Aspie I always seem to struggle in sports that require a constant change of position and look completely lost. No wonder I play Hockey (as a goalie) and Softball!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 8:04 am

I was a pretty good goalie in my intramural Junior High School soccer team.

If I would actually play another position, I tended to get overly aggressive. That's why they stuck me at goalie. And I liked that!

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 12:28 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I was a pretty good goalie in my intramural Junior High School soccer team.

If I would actually play another position, I tended to get overly aggressive. That's why they stuck me at goalie. And I liked that!

I can be quite aggressive too. It usually shocks people to see what a bad temper I have and how competitive I get.

I first got interested in goalie (and catcher) mainly because of the heavy gear. When I heard this was another ASD trait I was not surprised. In fact, I have been researching a few hockey goalies who flopped or had short careers (like Jim Carey) and they sound quite like stereotypical Aspies. It would explain why goalies are generally considered ''weird" by players and fans alike!

What used to piss me off was that even though I was a pretty good baseball player as a kid (and have the stats to prove I was well above average), my coaches ALWAYS put me in the bottom of the order or tucked away in Right Field. I still to this day don't understand why. Luckily, my softball team FINALLY sees I am pretty good and I usually lead off the lineup now.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2015, 1:47 am

Austin Riley 3 time karting champoin

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman