Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 8:13 pm

androm01374 wrote:
[the] stream of consciousness may resemble a ... tree of consciousness in us.

This is a characteristic of manic-depressive illness also, where it is sometimes called dendritic thinking.

There Are Four Lights!

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 8:19 pm

Corny wrote:
Is this bad? I had 2 IQ tests close together and I had a 68 on 1 and 70 on the other. Is that bad or low for a person autism or for anyone in general?

I don't think you are supposed to take IQ tests close together (unless they were two different tests maybe). But those scores indicated borderline cognitive disability.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 8:25 pm

Oh yeah, OP.I am a math major, summa cum laude, despite my terrible arithmetic. I often remember some numbers incorrectly, such as altitude or population numbers, but I have lots of other numbers memorized with no difficulty.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 8:38 pm

starkid wrote:
Corny wrote:
Is this bad? I had 2 IQ tests close together and I had a 68 on 1 and 70 on the other. Is that bad or low for a person autism or for anyone in general?

I don't think you are supposed to take IQ tests close together (unless they were two different tests maybe). But those scores indicated borderline cognitive disability.

They were different tests. One for school though my IEP and when I was re diagnosed to see if I still had Autism. Which I did. So is this high functioning autism or mild?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 8:42 pm

Corny wrote:
starkid wrote:
Corny wrote:

They were different tests. One for school though my IEP and when I was re diagnosed to see if I still had Autism. Which I did. So is this high functioning autism or mild?

Can't tell with just an IQ score. It depends on the whole autism evaluation they gave you. Maybe they don't even use the categories "high functioning" and "mild."

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 8:46 pm

starkid wrote:
Corny wrote:
starkid wrote:
Corny wrote:

Can't tell with just an IQ score. It depends on the whole autism evaluation they gave you. Maybe they don't even use the categories "high functioning" and "mild."

Ok thanks I guess.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 8:48 pm

Do you know how you did in the subtests?

People with autism sometimes score really well in some subtests, really poor in others.

It makes the "full scale" score matter less.

A person with an IQ of 70 usually is only able to read relatively simple books, and do basic arithmetic.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 9:17 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Do you know how you did in the subtests?

People with autism sometimes score really well in some subtests, really poor in others.

It makes the "full scale" score matter less.

A person with an IQ of 70 usually is only able to read relatively simple books, and do basic arithmetic.

Never got sub scores back.

HelloWorld314
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Mar 2017, 9:28 pm

Hi there,

I am just really curious. How well do OP and other people with 150+ IQ perform in their special interests? For example, if you are into science, have you won some sorts of science awards while you were in school or have you gotten accepted to top university or something? It is absolutely non-offensive, I am just really curious how that high of an IQ can help someone academically.

p.s. English is not my native language, please correct me if I have made any mistakes. I would really appreciate it. Thanks:)

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 10:18 pm

HelloWorld314 wrote:
Hi there,

I am just really curious. How well do OP and other people with 150+ IQ perform in their special interests? For example, if you are into science, have you won some sorts of science awards while you were in school or have you gotten accepted to top university or something? It is absolutely non-offensive, I am just really curious how that high of an IQ can help someone academically.

I read somewhere that people in PhD programs at top universities average in the 120-130 range, with specialties like math and physics more in the 130-140 range. So in terms of getting accepted and functioning as a student at that level, that's what may be needed in most cases. (And that people at the extreme end, say 160 or more, often didn't do so well, because they were "abnormal" in some other respect -- social, perhaps.)

In terms of being successful as an independent researcher, say, as opposed to a student, I think one of the key advantages is high processing speed, because that lets someone work through more alternative solutions in a shorter time. In other words: suppose an average person and a high-IQ person are each working on a difficult problem. Any individual solution the average person comes up with may be just as good as any individual solution the high-IQ person comes up with. But within the same time period, the average person can only mentally think through two alternatives, whereas the high-IQ person can think through ten. That makes it more likely, on average, that the high-IQ person will come up with more solutions faster, not because of better insight, but because of faster processing speed.

There Are Four Lights!

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 10:30 pm

I've been told by a feminist that I'm too intelligent to be a female. I was told by a guy in a bar that I was too intelligent for him to go out with me. It literally scared someone that I was able to translate a scholarly article in a scientific journal from Portuguese into English, when I never took a class on the Portuguese language.

As for math ... things are much simpler now that I hire an accountant to do my taxes. :P

HelloWorld314
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Mar 2017, 11:56 pm

Darmok wrote:
I read somewhere that people in PhD programs at top universities average in the 120-130 range, with specialties like math and physics more in the 130-140 range. So in terms of getting accepted and functioning as a student at that level, that's what may be needed in most cases. (And that people at the extreme end, say 160 or more, often didn't do so well, because they were "abnormal" in some other respect -- social, perhaps.)

In terms of being successful as an independent researcher, say, as opposed to a student, I think one of the key advantages is high processing speed, because that lets someone work through more alternative solutions in a shorter time. In other words: suppose an average person and a high-IQ person are each working on a difficult problem. Any individual solution the average person comes up with may be just as good as any individual solution the high-IQ person comes up with. But within the same time period, the average person can only mentally think through two alternatives, whereas the high-IQ person can think through ten. That makes it more likely, on average, that the high-IQ person will come up with more solutions faster, not because of better insight, but because of faster processing speed.

Do you define top universities as those ranked in the world's top 20 in their given subject? I mean an IQ of 135 in SD percentile only means the person is among the world's top 1 percent smartest people, however, those schools' admissions are much harder than 1% of the whole world. Think about it, their undergrad admission alone is roughly 10% (and the group of people who spend money to apply to those schools in the first place is probably way above average in IQ already), and their PhD selection is pretty much selection from the already highly selected group. It is definitely much harder than 1%.

p.s. English is not my native language, please correct me if I have made any mistakes. I would really appreciate it. Thanks:)

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 12:25 am

HelloWorld314 wrote:
Hi there,

I think I tested at 154 in my early teens. I started grade 9 at 12 years old, but what I thought was a trick question on the Christmas science exam was just a mistake nobody else noticed, so I had the only correct answer, but got nothing for it. I mostly ignored school after that, and tried unsuccessfully to make friends, even failing a grade to get closer to my age group. I only excelled at physics and shop, and only liked geometry from the maths, but I did win tickets to three special U. lectures for bright HS kids. I didn't bother repeating gr. 12, because my general knowledge level was over US college grad scores, and my home situation was hostile.
A decade later, I got interested in velomobiles, and went to the library for the bits of engineering I needed. By then, I could work around my math aversion by "taking my notes in BASIC." My first prototype won a world championship, and was written up as still "advanced" for its 30th anniversary. I once lectured to graduating engineers, and was so green on campus that I didn't know that applause was unusual. Not bad for a dropout.
OTOH, I never did manage to maintain much of a social network, and only did well at building a business when working with at least one partner during two brief periods.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 12:58 am

HelloWorld314 wrote:
however, those schools' admissions are much harder than 1% of the whole world. Think about it, their undergrad admission alone is roughly 10% (and the group of people who spend money to apply to those schools in the first place is probably way above average in IQ already), and their PhD selection is pretty much selection from the already highly selected group. It is definitely much harder than 1%.

This argument is flawed because the entire world population does not apply to any school. Furthermore, admission is not based on IQ, nor are all the factors considered in admission even relevant to IQ.

HelloWorld314
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Mar 2017, 4:37 am

starkid wrote:
HelloWorld314 wrote:
however, those schools' admissions are much harder than 1% of the whole world. Think about it, their undergrad admission alone is roughly 10% (and the group of people who spend money to apply to those schools in the first place is probably way above average in IQ already), and their PhD selection is pretty much selection from the already highly selected group. It is definitely much harder than 1%.

This argument is flawed because the entire world population does not apply to any school. Furthermore, admission is not based on IQ, nor are all the factors considered in admission even relevant to IQ.

Well maybe not IQ, but intelligence has a large part at it. I am currently studying computer science at a university that is in the world top 20's list for my subject for undergrad, and I am looking for grad schools. And it is obvious that natural intelligence is just very important for lots of the more advanced courses that you need to get high grades in to impress grad schools. And to get high grades in those said important classes, you just need to be smart, and it is a pure test of intelligence. Yes the world's population does not apply to any school, but the people who want to apply to those schools have higher than average IQ compared to the world's population. And the admission is harder than 1% even among those people, and that is my point.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 8:53 am

IMHO, intelligence and grades are not highly correlated, at least in North America. Finland does the world's best schools, without grades. My smartest friend couldn't afford to finish high school, and then never needed to. Many industry leaders are University dropouts. School success is mostly about learning useless, obsolete things from and demonstrating obedience to stupid people. There are, of course, a few very intelligent people in Academia, and probably a mild concentration of them there, but don't count on being able to out-shine the cheaters to meet them if you are hampered in communication, etc. Many dull people have been forced into University just to get jobs. This has lowered academic standards, but the crushing student loans produce loyal, powerless employees. The steady influence of capitalism has turned the Universities from their original focus on serving scholarship to serving Corporations now.
"If you want to get laid, go to College. If you want an education, go to the library."
- Frank Zappa