When folks say act of God do they mean acts of science?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2015, 11:15 am

Seems so.

alex
Developer
Developer

17 Jun 2015, 11:25 am

the definition of science:

Quote:
the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

not sure how a system of studying the world through observation could be responsible for something that is described as an act of god. But it could be used to understand it.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2015, 12:00 pm

alex wrote:
Quote:
the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

not sure how a system of studying the world through observation could be responsible for something that is described as an act of god. But it could be used to understand it.

By acts of science I meant processes that can be understood through the scientific method as in weather models and cycles, climatology, seismology, astronomy or any way of understanding what triggers such an event, not just saying God did it.

NobleWolf2041889
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jun 2015, 1:12 pm

Folks do mean it when they say acts of God and I will even list the proof if that is what you wish:

A Soldier Encounters an Angel !

Creation and Miracles - Condensed Version

What were the Crusades, and were they justified?

Watch them on YouTube and the author's channel is called vaticancatholic.com.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2015, 2:19 pm

The term Act of God refers to anything that isn't easily explainable or fully explainable.
This includes the weather, random acts, and others.

It's codified in the law and in most contracts, especially insurance policies.

If the weather happens, which in turn knocks down a tree limb or tree on your house or car, it may be declared an Act of God, preventing insurance payout.

In this case, it means you cannot conclusively prove what happened scientifically.

alex
Developer
Developer

17 Jun 2015, 2:27 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
alex wrote:
Quote:

By acts of science I meant processes that can be understood through the scientific method as in weather models and cycles, climatology, seismology, astronomy or any way of understanding what triggers such an event, not just saying God did it.

so it wouldn't be "act of science" or "act of god." It would just be an occurrence. I guess you could call it an "act" but that implies someone is causing it to happen.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2015, 2:38 pm

alex wrote:

so it wouldn't be "act of science" or "act of god." It would just be an occurrence. I guess you could call it an "act" but that implies someone is causing it to happen.

I didn't mean to imply the science was actually causing the act, whether it be a flood, earthquake or something else, just that it can be explained scientifically rather than explained as being caused by God.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2015, 11:31 am

In modern times about the only time you ever hear the phrase "acts of God" from the lips of anyone (religious, atheist, or inbetween) is in legal contracts. As in "in the case of an act of god said party is not liable". The phrase means "something that no human could for see, or have control over". Science has nothing to do with it.

During most of history the phrase was used to mean "stuff that happens that we can't explain (ie God musta done it)"- which in olden times meant...just about everything, and anything (plagues, floods, pestilence). Or good things as well (ie miracles). So the phrase meant the opposite of "acts of science"- it meant stuff coming from beyond the pale of the then limited realm of knowledge (ie acts from beyond science). So God musta done it because we cant expain it.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2015, 6:51 pm

Acts of science are scientists performing experiments.

Please don't suggest that hurricanes, tidal waves, and earthquakes are the doings of scientists - the idea that scientists are causing global calamities to study the results is a tad disturbing.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2015, 8:18 pm

I think people call things that are superior or surprising or unexpected as 'work of God'

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2015, 11:31 am

When people come to home and see my wooded back yard they say this is God's country;

In other words, wild and unscathed by human hands. Yes, I provided input at first; but then
I let it go; don't water; don't fertilize; just let Nature take 'her' course;
And yes, I have the best looking yard overall in the neighborhood
as plants that meet challenge flourish and the weak die and go away.

It's the same, overall, with Nature.

Hurricanes are naturally occurring weather phenomena that
redistribute the heat of earth giving many species a better opportunity to survive.

However, humans who insist on living right on the coast instead of safe miles away;
still drown in large numbers by taking the risk of living on BARRIER Islands
and such as that; Barrier Islands are a first defense for further inland areas;
ALL natural occurring; but never the less, barrier Islands save life inland.

There is an amazing FORCE AND balance in Nature that is much more complex
and almost 'magical', than any dream of some sky daddy with a beard in the sky;
or some after life on clear gold floors or what not of material ideas of fancy wealth.

Religion finds metaphors first in oral tradition; both for bonding purposes and
to reduce existential angst showing there is order in Nature; but religion just
uses the word GOD to describe the force of Nature that allows order in the
balance of Nature including human nature. This is important to reduce FEAR.

For instance, as a timely issue, most folks have an aversion to killing members
of their same species as part of human empathy; and one sees this through
many other species of the animal kingdom; so in a way a rampage killing
for a person with empathy who distances their self from a strangling at
a distance with a trigger is an act of science as that trigger would not
be possible without modern science that leads to byproducts of
humans that make life easier, including killing other humans
for necessity or sport. Acts of God AKA Nature are even often
kinder that the scientific byproduct of modern medicine as
a child born with multiple congenital anomalies like my child
who cannot breathe at birth does not suffer for 51 days out of
human made rules that say that death is not a sacred right of the suffering
organism; even dogs get relief that humans suffer through, as death is not understood
as the same kind of blessing that those who live in wild nature understand it to be; as an
escape from the real suffering that is part of life, naturally. Yes, Acts of God are often kinder
than acts of science; and one need look no further than with Japanese eyes in Nagasaki last
century to see the real life misery that the science of atomic bombs can bring to humans clearly.

Oh, and first there is foraging in ways of hunting and gathering; Industrialization and manufacturing;
and now finally the Information Technology age. In each step humankind distances itself further and
further from both 'regular nature' and 'human nature', through the clothes of culture ranging from
never communing on grain of sand through oxytocin receptors of feet to bond with Nature better
to literal clothes that are part of shoes that do not receive the same nourishment from the sun
in 'happy' and 'strong' neurochemicals and neurohormones that allow humans to thrive and
survive better, overall; and then there is anti-bacterial soap that can lead to greater heart
disease; hormones in cows leading to boys with high voices and girls that mature earlier;
one-third of all school age children now assessed with pre-type two diabetes; around
50% of the country of adults on some type of pain medication often for somatic
pains from chronic stress and repressed emotions for a life of fight or flight fear
internalized; to skyrocketing rates of anti-depressants for children who no longer
even have physical education to learn mind and body balance to have greater
imaginative and creative physical intelligence to better regulate emotions and
integrate senses; as well as increasing focus and short term working memory.
Even science is finally catching up to see the folly of modern human culture as
children who exercise even one hour before taking a standard IQ test score on
average 10 points higher. Humans are devolving per the real process of
negative epigenetics in not meeting the challenge of the natural evolving
environment also common known as the natural force of GOD that is
the cosmos itself working in balance from above in the nature of
space to below in the environment of earth to inside the human
nature of emotions and senses that motivate humans to do
anything at all; so yes, while the neo-cortical development
of the reasoning human mind that can remember the past,
make critical analysis, and predict the future in terms of best
course action is a very important development for thriving surviving
apex predators; but on the other hand when written language is developed
by copying imaginary angles in connections of stars with sticks scratching in
the sand, aided by the all natural development that started with a prehensile
thumb; once we have collective intelligence and complex culture the human made
experiment begins beyond the balance of the previous GOD that is really never really
been more than a metaphor for the forces and laws of nature where kindness and courage
act together for social animals to thrive and survive. We live in an unwitting experiment of the
systemizing mind of human being in living in the past and predicting the future and we are the
guinea pigs of that experiment and truly many of the canary in the coal mines of that experiment
are telling the world IT'S NOT WORKING LOUD AND CLEAR ON THIS WRONG PLANET DEVELOPED
MOSTLY for the Canaries in the Coal mine; and I have been listening to the canaries sing carefully
over the last almost five years now; and I have learned much about human nature I never knew before.

So keep singing; I am listening; I'm not sure what I will be able to do to help; But I am listening; Yes,
I clearly know what the problems are now but the answer is surely the job of JOB for anyone who wants
to tackle
the
answer part.
It is up to each person to do what
they can to be the change they want to see.

I choose human;
I choose ART;
I choose Nature
AKA
GOD;
AND refrain from getting
lost in the manmade god of
abstract language, collective
intelligence and tools of resulting
complex cultures; I learn the lesson
of the wild plants of my back yard
and simply go back to the OLD EVOLVING
NATURE AKA THE REAL GOD THAT WORKS
SUPER COOL IN NATURE'S FORCE OF BALANCE..:)

YEAH, life is my all encompassing special interest
along with Nature aka GOD. And sometimes I persevere
on that and do lengthy monologues; so perhaps the canary
has a long song to sing outside of the coal mines of real HELL.

In FACT, and
FEELING, he
does....

The saddest pArt
is the canary who
no longer
sings....

I sing a free song...

untethered by human-made
mines and mind of HELL.....

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2015, 3:36 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
alex wrote:

I didn't mean to imply the science was actually causing the act, whether it be a flood, earthquake or something else, just that it can be explained scientifically rather than explained as being caused by God.

Thats what I suspected: that you meant "acts of nature". Not "acts of science".

"Science" is the means by which humans understand "nature". But its not a synonym for "nature".