Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 1:33 am

For his "clown in blackface" analogy regarding Justice Thomas, which is presented here:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... -blackface

Some (clears throat) persons on the side of the aisle that corresponds to the side of the body to which the shoulder to which the arm to which the hand that is preferred by most people have said this makes him a down-and-deep racist, just like an advocate of old Jim Crow:

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-whit ... sxuaq:D9S9

In my opinion, people that dig through writings of minority groups looking for expressions that could be interpreted as expressions of racism while ignoring the substantive issue are among the worst. They are hypocrites in both the traditional "whitewashed tombs" sense and the popular (but not quite accurate) "do as I say but not as I do" sense. They're taking on the very PC notions that they were supposed to have criticized (and which they greatly misunderstand. Not only that, but they pretend to care about issues of racism when in reality they're just wanting to play "gotcha," which corresponds to the "whitewashed tombs" stuff.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 2:14 am

A racist is a racist is a racist, no matter what his ethnicity or cultural background may be.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 2:38 am

Fnord wrote:
A racist is a racist is a racist, no matter what his ethnicity or cultural background may be.

What does this have to do with the OP or the article?

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 2:45 am

To clarify, George Takei is not racist, in my book. Not because of his ethnicity, but because if you look at the whole of his advocacy, his politics, and his life, it is something that cannot be concluded if you have any honesty. Taking a single sentence out of context does not a racist make.

IMO, this is being done as part of a "gotcha" campaign. A bunch of people who don't like Takei's views got together and decided to take that statement and blow it up to make Takei look like he's Mr. Jim Crow or something. (Eventually, anyone is going to say something that would be blown up like this.) They're not really interested in combating racism, but just want to try and play a divide-and-conquer game against their opponents, trying to turn African-Americans against George Takei, who has been an important advocate for Japanese- and Asian-Americans and LGBT people.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 2:48 am

Fnord wrote:

*shrug* Justice Thomas said some stupid crap about how he thinks that being interned by your government isn't an indignity.

He has poo brain.

Takei, who was interned by his government, said some mean things about Justice Thomas in response.

I have a number of mean things I'd like to say about him too.

I still can't figure how anita hill worked for him for all those years if he was such a horrible sexual harasser.

For years, Thomas didn't seem to say much in court. People wondered why. Now we know why.

If i were to call justice thomas a house negro, or an uncle tom, or a token black justice, or an oreo, that would sound kinda racist.

So i won't.

Takei, fwiw, likened him to the minstrel shows of old, wherein a white person in blackface would pretend to be black.

I think it's a mistake to say that Clarence Thomas is a black person who behaves like or has the soul of a white person.

I think Clarence Thomas is a black person who is full of excrement from his toes to his eyebrows.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 8:24 am

beneficii wrote:
Fnord wrote:
You claimed that "Turds call George Takei Recist", remember?

So ... what race are the people that you call "Turds"?

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 9:09 am

Fnord wrote:
beneficii wrote:
Fnord wrote:
You claimed that "Turds call George Takei Recist", remember?

So ... what race are the people that you call "Turds"?

Of the right-wing variety. >_>

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 9:11 am

"When asked by a reporter about the opinion, I was still seething, and I referred to him as a 'clown in blackface' to suggest that he had abdicated and abandoned his heritage," Takei said in a Facebook post.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/03/politics/ ... star-trek/

So it sounds like he was calling him an "Uncle Tom".

"particularly a black person who behaves in a subservient manner to white people; or any person perceived to be complicit in the oppression of their own group"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Tom

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 12:24 pm

beneficii wrote:
Fnord wrote:
beneficii wrote:
Fnord wrote:
You claimed that "Turds call George Takei Recist", remember? So ... what race are the people that you call "Turds"?

:roll:

"Right-Wing" is not a race.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 12:30 pm

Fnord wrote:
beneficii wrote:
Fnord wrote:
beneficii wrote:
Fnord wrote:
You claimed that "Turds call George Takei Recist", remember? So ... what race are the people that you call "Turds"?

:roll:

"Right-Wing" is not a race.

That's what you get when you ask a loaded question with bad assumptions, namely that the turd metaphor even referred to a race.

Hmm, loaded. Turds. Hmm. 8O

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 10:40 pm

Takei is often a smug jerk and perhaps used an unfortunate turn of phrase, but that hardly makes him racist. However, if one of those right wing "turds" the OP is so concerned about made a similar gaffe, the left wing pile on would be twice as bad, and I doubt an eye would be batted in response, given the history of racist attacks on Thomas from the left being ignored.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 11:00 pm

Well, Thomas has always been a bit of an idiot and I don't understand why he defends dignity while opposing same sex marriage.
I sympathize with Takei, but to challenge Thomas on matters of race is a bad idea. It is ironic that Takei's experience of racial oppression is more fresh than Thomas'.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 11:02 pm

What had really set Takei off was how Thomas had written how neither black slaves or Japanese Americans interned during WWII had lost their dignity. Takei, whose family had in fact spent the war years in such a camp, had every right to feel infuriated by that token dullard.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 11:12 pm

I know, eh? Who is he to determine if dignity has been lost? Such a fool.