Do you find love when you stop looking? Why?

Page 5 of 12 [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 5:17 am

BuyerBeware wrote:
Yes, I do believe this advice.

Yes, it does depend on how you interpret it.

It does not mean "give up on living and accept misery."

It means, "Stop focusing your whole life on [finding love, finding a career, whatever], and just LIVE. Do the things you have to do, do the things you want to do, focus your energy on that and on finding new things that you like to do. Do this, and you will by default find people that you might mutually enjoy sharing a life with."

To me, that counts as looking for love. How else could you sensibly look for it?

In fact, that's what I'd have always done if I could. So advice to stop looking for love, to me, means you should refrain from trying to get the most out of life and give up on anything but wasting it.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2015, 9:45 pm

only if you are a woman, nothing is free in life unless you are a woman

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 12:31 am

Imo that is sh***y advice, but I agree with some of the explanations above.

Nocturnus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2015, 4:58 am

Outrider, it only takes one person to change your perspective and you are probably better off finding a deep thinking introvert like yourself.

Cockroach96
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 4:29 am

It's possible to find love, regardless if you're looking for it or not. However, looking for it increases the likelyhood of finding it, provided you're not desperate.

mahendar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Aug 2015, 6:20 am

it will depends on mindset of other person if he/she good impression about you and want to continue relationship with you means they start loving you after you stop looking.

Gauldoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2015, 1:03 pm

If you're a woman, then sure, you can find "love" at any time, regardless of whether or not you're actually looking for it. If you're a man though, and you choose to stop taking an active approach in the dating game, your chances of finding love will be reduced from slim to none. :roll:

On a serious note, don't put too much stuck in those catch-phrases and old sayings. Most of them were invented by women, and really don't apply to you unless you're a woman yourself.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 2:55 pm

A lot depends on what you mean by "looking" and also what you mean by "love." People could mean vastly different things by these kinds of comments, and what some people call love might not be what the kind of love you would really want for yourself. Or you may not want love yet, maybe you want experience, which is okay.

I thought this advice about how you should "stop looking" is usually given from to females, by other females, to shame them for doing ANYTHING to actively seek a partner. I'm surprised to hear that this advice is also given to guys. As others said, males are generally expected to do most of the asking and pursuing, so things tend to be very different for guys.

In my own experience, the "love" I have found when I wasn't looking for it wasn't really love at all. It was just pursuit, and/or infatuation that came along unexpectedly...and if there had been any potential for genuine love to emerge out of it, it was pretty well destroyed by the way I was approached and the way I felt like it was being pushed on me when I was NOT looking for it.

Factory Ten
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Aug 2015, 7:20 pm

(I'm reacting to the thread title's embedded question - I haven't read anything else in the thread.)

I have only been in one "official" relationship and one "unofficial" relationship.

Due to my experiences, I refuse to believe you "find" love. Love isn't something to be lost or found. Lust is pretty easy to "find" but I believe that love grows on a foundation of friendship and it has to constantly be tended so that it doesn't atrophy away.

I believe the concept of "finding love" is a dangerous one because it suggests that love just happens instantly on a random day. It doesn't. Lust does.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 6:45 am

Update:

To my surprise, I did find love when I 'stopped' looking.

And, yes, it does depend on what you mean by 'stop looking'.

I definitely 'stopped looking' by my own definition/standards of what 'looking' is.

So, what happened?

I developed a crush, and, usually I pursue my crushes by trying to 'play the game' - follow all the dating rules and conventions and jumping through fire hoops to get to know them before asking them out.

This time I chose to spend more time around them, hang out with them, get to know them, etc. but I was ignoring my feelings for them, was more focused on just 'living' my life, and less concerned if they didn't feel the same.

I was, what I call 'enjoying the ride' - spending time around them, enjoying it, but not actually pursuing them in 'that way'.

I kept telling myself that I'm 'not looking for a relationship' right now...

Well, they still figured it out, even if I didn't express my feelings in any way (no flirting, etc.) and, turns out things were mutual, and I now have a girlfriend.

That's my story...I'm not sure if things could work out any better or worse if other people stopped looking for love, but geez...it ACTUALLY WORKED... :? :| O_O 8-O :huh: :duh: :shrug:

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 7:55 am

^^^
Of course "not-looking" can potentially work if you're in a common situation in which you're regularly around the person anyways(i.e. job, school, etc)

How were you in that situation btw?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 8:06 am

I learned a simple lesson when I was about 25: if you seem desperate, you will get NOWHERE.

I stopped "looking"--and the girls started coming to ME.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 8:31 am

Advice: "you find love when you stop looking" = the polite form of "I don't know how the hell to help you, I don't give a f**k, just shut the f**k up"

314pe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 8:33 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Advice: "you find love when you stop looking" = the polite form of "I don't know how the hell to help you, I don't give a f**k, just shut the f**k up"

Or "Nothing can help you. If I were you, I wouldn't even try."

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 10:20 am

I happen to believe that when one stops actively seeking a girlfriend, one has a better chance of getting a girlfriend.

It's not "shut the f**k up."

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 3:20 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I learned a simple lesson when I was about 25: if you seem desperate, you will get NOWHERE.

I stopped "looking"--and the girls started coming to ME.

were you always hanging out in your house only leaving to go to work where you can't meet women.

because if I stopped looking and took down all my dating profiles. there's 0 chance of women coming to me.

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

or just stop complaing you're ruing my great life by making me see that not everyone is having a great life.

same reason well off people hate seeing homeless people it ruins their vibe.