Who else gets restless leg syndrome?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 12:42 pm

I've only recently started getting this, usually when I'm tired and laying in bed.

In a way I find it feels rather good, but at the same time it's terribly discomforting. Can anybody relate to that?

I seem to get the feeling in my left leg, which sometimes travels to my chest muscles, but to temporarily relieve this feeling I have the urge to kick the air. Sometimes it feels so weird and discomforting, that I want to chop the leg off. Obviously I wouldn't do that.

Sometimes it makes me want to laugh, as though I'm being tickled in a sensitive place.

Who else gets restless leg syndrome? Share your experiences.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

25 Jul 2015, 2:48 pm

I get it occasionally when I'm trying to fall asleep. I feel like I have to move my legs. It sux cuz it distracts from falling asleep & I worry I'll wake my girlfriend up or keep her from falling asleep by moving my legs.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2015, 3:35 pm

I sure get it and it is uncomfortable because my cat likes to sleep at my feet. When I move my legs, I can feel that the cat thinks she is not welcome, which is not my intention. So far, I have found no solution.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2015, 8:46 pm

Krabo wrote:
I sure get it and it is uncomfortable because my cat likes to sleep at my feet. When I move my legs, I can feel that the cat thinks she is not welcome, which is not my intention. So far, I have found no solution.
There are some medications for that if you go to a doc & I also read that taking vitamin E might be helpful sometimes. I plan to start the E in afew weeks after I come back from visiting my famil(I'm leaving tomorrow & will be gone about 3 weeks).

Perkulator
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jul 2015, 3:09 am

I have had this for 24 years. It gets so bad sometimes I feel like putting my foot through the floor and I kick around, it hurts at times. I have been taking generic pills for the name brand Mirapex everyday for about 17 years, as long as I don't run out I am fine.

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 4:55 am

I get it really bad. It is not pleasant or fun in any way for me, it is painful and uncomfortable. It feels like I have to move my legs or I will go crazy; imagine not being able to stim when you HAVE to stim. Also, it feels like my legs are cramping, sometimes they twitch involuntarily. I often wake up with very painful ache in my legs, only a hot shower makes it go away. I used to take prescrip medication for it, but I would still get the painful feelings every couple of weeks (instead of every day). Now I take something better, an over the counter medication for leg cramps. No leg cramps for months at a time. I still toasts and turn like crazy in bed, and I move positions on the couch every ten minutes or so.

ghostie
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jul 2015, 11:43 pm

idk if i have rls but i have hyperactivity problems so i do tend to move my right leg a lot. sometimes i get tremors too but not as much now

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 3:13 pm

I used to get it really badly but now I don't any more. I'm not sure why, but I think side effects from medications I used to be one combined with anxiety had something to do with it.

Most people I know have never heard such a thing, and at least one of them reacted as if I was crazy when I told them. When I have trouble sleeping at night I often wiggle at least one of my legs, which I guess is a stimming thing. I also sometimes scream out loud in my sleep. It's a good thing I don't have a bed partner, I don't know which of us would spend more time on the couch. :)

danitargaryen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Nov 2015, 9:52 am

I have had it since I was 4 years old, I have it severe and it causes horrible pain, sometimes don't sleep 2 nights in a row, fully awake listening to the birds chirp while crying because you are in so much pain.
Used to take pain killers now take Parkinson's medication.

If it's mild-moderate, feel fortunate you don't have my experience, just make lifestyle changes, no alcohol no caffeine no smoking, iron and magnesium, heat packs, walking etc.

If it's severe take Parkinson's medication, it has saved my life because I now have hope to live pain free and I was about to give up on living.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 11:37 am

nick007 wrote:
Krabo wrote:
There are some medications for that if you go to a doc & I also read that taking vitamin E might be helpful sometimes. I plan to start the E in afew weeks after I come back from visiting my family(I'm leaving tomorrow & will be gone about 3 weeks).
I've been taking one for afew months now & I only had one episode of RLS & that wasn't that long after I started it. My episodes of RLS were only occasional so it could be a pleasant coincidence but I don't plan to stop taking vitamin E to find out. I get my vitamin E supplement off Amazon & it's Source Naturals Mixed Tocopherols(I think the mixed are better). I could take it 2wice a day but I only take it 1ce a day cuz I get some vitamin E from my multi-vitamin & my cereal. Too much of it is a bad thing but I probably would be safe taking it 2wice a day. If the RLS starts coming back I may increase it to 2wice a day but I see no reason to increase it to 2wice a day sense it seems to be working rite now. The one side-effect I've noticed is that it makes my pee smell worse. You may have to take fish-oil too. You need to take fish oil to get some of the benefits from vitamin E but I take fish-oil anyways so I didn't pay attention to if RLS required it too or not.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 1:31 pm

I hadn't realized Vitamin E might help. I'll try that.

I have it too. I noticed it years ago, worse when I'm not exercising regularly. It's only in my left leg, which will go numb if I don't move it when I'm going to sleep. I also have a little bit of scoliosis and I have a neurological disease too, so I always figured one or the other was causing it.

Cats and dogs at the bottom of the bed don't help.