Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Teren
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jul 2015, 8:56 pm

Hey, folks. About me, I'm 18 years old, undiagnosed, but I strongly suspect I have aspergers/ASD. I have struggled with social situations my whole life, but I've usually managed to cope. Now, though, I'm faced with a situation I can't avoid.

My girlfriend(who agrees that I'm likely aspergers, and is very supportive)wants to help me be more comfortable with socializing. To do this, she is "encouraging"(read: Forcing) me to attend a wedding with her, and in the process meet basically every friend and family member she has. Although I do want to become less socially awkward, I'm not sure this is the best way to do it.

Can someone with more knowledge than I weigh in on this?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 9:12 am

Go to the wedding. Enjoy the food (make sure you only take one helping, until everybody's gotten theirs, though). You don't have to dance if you don't want to. Dress in a jacket and tie. You'll probably be seated with strangers. Listen to what they are talking about. If you think you could contribute, do so--but don't hog the conversation. If you don't think you could contribute, just listen (you might learn something).

I don't like weddings. I don't like any social situation.

But the only way to learn is to actually "go out there" in the world.