"Giraffes are very dangerous animals"

Page 1 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 4:00 pm

CBC

Quote:
"Everybody just thinks we're cold-hearted killers, and it's not that. There is a connection with the animal, and just because we hunt them doesn't mean we don't have a respect for them."

Yes killing another creature for fun is very respectful.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 4:30 pm

It seems like it's a way for them to express their anti social behavior. They know people hate it so when they are allowed to spend a lot of money and legally do what most people will be disgusted and saddened over, it's like flipping everyone the bird all at once. It's something they can't do in obvious ways in their daily lives because of social conditioning; ie - family, career, laws. They channel all their anti social energy into this instead of something like boxing.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 4:40 pm

I just can't get my head around what the lure is for trophy hunters. Don't they see how sad it is that this animal died for their vanity and ego?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 4:49 pm

The only way I can wrap my head around it is to think of it as a legal way for them to express their anti social feelings and these might not even be conscious. They basically engage in it just to piss others off and manipulate their feelings, in other words. They would never consciously admit it though.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 4:59 pm

To me it comes down to, 1) Is it a threat?, 2) Am I hungry ?, and 3) Is it edible ?. I don't think any of these criteria are met.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 5:26 pm

Looks tasty. :)

The meat from this one probably went to the locals; if such, then all is well from any ethical standpoint.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 7:32 pm

Dillogic wrote:

yeah..yeah
Quote:
The meat from this one probably went to the locals; if such, then all is well from any ethical standpoint.

Not necessarily. Even if the carcass had been left to the jackals it would still be returning to the food chain.

What I'm pointing out is that her motivation seems to be other than this. Perhaps she will use the skin to make clothing of some sort. She appears to liking draping herself in giraffe. I can only imagine the ickiness of her trophy room. I hope a head falls on her.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 8:35 pm

As they say, the buzzards have to eat too.

Though, that'd be too much good/fresh meat to go to "waste". That'd stock a local butcher quite well.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 8:38 pm

Dillogic wrote:

Then why not just let the locals hunt it for meat?

The pelt will most likely end up a large rug.

We have giraffes here in this state, at various zoos, some of them you can drive through. What I want to know is, if this woman can go to Africa and easily kill a giraffe, why can't she do the same over here? If one of these zoos decided a giraffe was too old and not worth the feed, nothing stops them from letting her take a shot at it and it's nearly the same thing. These aren't real hunts. Why must she go all the way to Africa just to hunt the same animal?

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 8:48 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

They probably do.

Opening up hunting tourism for tons of money is even better for the locals, though. Tons of employment opportunities that they wouldn't have otherwise.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 8:50 pm

Dillogic wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

They probably do.

Opening up hunting tourism for tons of money is even better for the locals, though. Tons of employment opportunities that they wouldn't have otherwise.

Don't count on it because it's a third world country. Considering how much they charge tourists, you should see more trickle down but yet so many are penniless. It can end up in one man's savings account. Locals would never see a dime. Or, it could go to pay off politicians. There's so many places it could end up besides in the pockets of the locals. If the locals were getting the money, wouldn't we see a higher standard of living?

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 8:54 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Why must she go all the way to Africa just to hunt the same animal? These aren't real hunts.

Why do people go on a holiday anywhere? Countries set it up because it brings in money, no matter the type of tourism. A zoo giraffe isn't a wild giraffe.

About as real as any other hunt. Walking on foot or in a hide and plugging an animal with a rifle is how it's done everywhere (yes, that's how most deer are taken), and it's the most humane way.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 9:08 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Don't count on it because it's a third world country. Considering how much they charge tourists, you should see more trickle down but yet so many are penniless. It can end up in one man's savings account. Locals would never see a dime. Or, it could go to pay off politicians. There's so many places it could end up besides in the pockets of the locals. If the locals were getting the money, wouldn't we see a higher standard of living?

You'd have to show that.

As far as I can tell: guides get money. Butchers get money. Taxidermists get money. Landowners get money. The government gets its tax. Those businesses wouldn't be there otherwise. Meat is donated in some places (as far as I've read).

Africa's standard of living overall is beyond the scope of mere tourism. Tourism helps some, but said some is by no means "all".

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 9:22 pm

...This in Zimbabwe ? :D

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 10:43 pm

Dillogic wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

You'd have to show that.

As far as I can tell: guides get money. Butchers get money. Taxidermists get money. Landowners get money. The government gets its tax. Those businesses wouldn't be there otherwise. Meat is donated in some places (as far as I've read).

Africa's standard of living overall is beyond the scope of mere tourism. Tourism helps some, but said some is by no means "all".

Judging by the overall condition of Africa, very little money is made through hunting tourism. It is very easy for the man who organizes the hunt to keep most of the money, and give very little to the land owner but since people are pretty much poor, this makes it possible to pay him very little and since there are other farmers, he has to say yes or business will go elsewhere. Since this hunt was illegal, the government didn't get any money and since it didn't involve the Hwange National Park, conservation got zero dollars out of this. This hunt didn't benefit anyone but three people, the man who organized it and I didn't include the two or three guides who worked for him who were likely paid pennies on the dollar, and the farmer, again, for very little money. The other one who would have benefitted would have been a taxidermist who prepared and cured the hide but again, the likelihood of him making much is very low, since there are plenty of people in Africa, thus, an abundance of skills and it's more than easy to shop around for the lowest price. This is from the illegal Cecil The Lion hunt. Not even sure how much she paid to hunt this giraffe, but if it were cheaper than the lion, there would be even less money to go around.

The hotel price might be included in a safari package so hotels will benefit a little from guests paying for rooms but they could do it just as easily with conventions and whatnot, making even more money.

So, yes, money is being made. It's supposedly a 12 million dollar a year industry for Zimbabwe but where this money actually goes is not certain and do not assume most of it goes to "the people" as in, poor people of Africa, just like in the US, you would think, a state like West Virginia would be wealthy beyond belief but the money that comes from coal mostly ends up out of state and there you have it - state rich in natural resources, loaded with po folks.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 11:50 pm

Another disgusting piece of s***t should be hunted down herself.