Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Ectryon
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 2:02 pm

I think that there has been a massive consciousness shift across humanity over the last few decades. I think that this shift is unique because of its scale and speed. It's hard to appreciate how far we've come from the days when information was a more precious material.

Im old enough to remember sitting by the radio taping tunes and going into panic when my cd's scratched. In those days there were genuine revelations and culture shocks because the circulation/recycling of information was more diffuse. As a result of this the connections between art forms and cultural traditions were more indistinct and thus more pliable.

What has happened is that we encounter what we want when we want. We are submerged in our own history constantly. We're ever haunted by our own pasts. We have effectively ended information scarcity in the west which has made it a common metal and western culture has suffered as a consequence.

"Culture" is now almost entirely nostalgic and introspective. There seems to be this feeling that everything worth doing has been done. This is because we've cleared the fog of war and new ideas no longer have that critical gestation period where they mature so that they can withstand all the mimicry to follow.

What's needed is for information to become scarce so that we can rediscover the past with new eyes. The constant hum means that so many are no longer listening. Of course this will never happen so its unlikely that this cultural model will produce anything of any real consequence. It's up to the next societal construct

My history on this forum preserves my old and unregenerate self. In the years since I posted here I have undergone many changes. I accept responsibility for my posts but I no longer stand behind them.
And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high Hebrews 1:3

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Aug 2015, 2:19 pm

Ectryon wrote:

What's needed is for information to become scarce so that we can rediscover the past with new eyes. The constant hum means that so many are no longer listening. Of course this will never happen so its unlikely that this cultural model will produce anything of any real consequence. It's up to the next societal construct

What do you mean by "of any real consequence"?
In terms of pure quality, I think this is a golden age for most forms of culture - music, drama (TV and film, but also stage), art, books of all kinds, games, education...

We might never have a pop star who has as big an immediate impact as Elvis, but we've got hundreds who are making better music than he ever did.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

11 Aug 2015, 2:40 pm

Ectryon wrote:
I think that there has been a massive consciousness shift across humanity over the last few decades. I think that this shift is unique because of its scale and speed. It's hard to appreciate how far we've come from the days when information was a more precious material.

Im old enough to remember sitting by the radio taping tunes and going into panic when my cd's scratched. In those days there were genuine revelations and culture shocks because the circulation/recycling of information was more diffuse. As a result of this the connections between art forms and cultural traditions were more indistinct and thus more pliable.

What has happened is that we encounter what we want when we want. We are submerged in our own history constantly. We're ever haunted by our own pasts. We have effectively ended information scarcity in the west which has made it a common metal and western culture has suffered as a consequence.

"Culture" is now almost entirely nostalgic and introspective. There seems to be this feeling that everything worth doing has been done. This is because we've cleared the fog of war and new ideas no longer have that critical gestation period where they mature so that they can withstand all the mimicry to follow.

Restricting information is nonsense, it has freed us all but now we have to put to rest oppressive antiquated institutions. If a society is so nostalgic and introspective then perhaps its time to burn it down.

Crazyfool
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Aug 2015, 2:58 pm

We are living in unique times indeed. The information available and the speed at which it spreads is almost overwhelming. Now that all of this information is at our disposal we must be responsible with it, because as grand as it sounds having such access could also be the downfall of a society, if we are not careful where we focus or attention.

Now that news can spread instantaneously we must use that to better our society and learn from mistakes. I think that government and authority figures need to be reevaluated....Can such a small group of people really be trusted? Are their motives around laws for our safety or for their monetary gain? What would this implications be if we have infact been bullied around and forced or groomed to take on the role of a slave in system that is designed to serve the elite at the expense of the average working class person?

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 4:20 pm

Crazyfool wrote:
We are living in unique times indeed. The information available and the speed at which it spreads is almost overwhelming. Now that all of this information is at our disposal we must be responsible with it, because as grand as it sounds having such access could also be the downfall of a society, if we are not careful where we focus or attention.

Now that news can spread instantaneously we must use that to better our society and learn from mistakes. I think that government and authority figures need to be reevaluated....Can such a small group of people really be trusted? Are their motives around laws for our safety or for their monetary gain? What would this implications be if we have infact been bullied around and forced or groomed to take on the role of a slave in system that is designed to serve the elite at the expense of the average working class person?

I think most of these politicians aphrodisiac of choice is power. Cash is good though. As far as information goes, the quantity available now a days can be confusing.

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2015, 10:57 am

Let artists think a bit about the possibilites open to them with modern rechnology. I'm stilll trying to copy neo-classicism. got so stuck in the mud. I bet there's a breakthrough coming, taking us to the next age.

Waiting For The second Renaissance.
http://www.guoxiaolu.com/WR_Essay_Waiti ... ssance.htm

b9
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2015, 11:08 am

Quote:
Everything worth doing has not been done

nothing is worth doing, and that is why nothing is what i strive to do.