Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 12:13 pm

cmoody1973 wrote:
In the US when you are diagnosed, does it get treated the same was as if you were say blind or deaf? ie: you are paid via SS, to help make the difference in your income?

Or is it more like, "there's nothing wrong with you, your just left handed." As in you just learn to cope with it in a world of "right handers" ?

I hope this makes sense,

Chris

It varies based on state, city, the government approved psych that evaluates you. I was denied SSDI based on the fact that my salary in the 1980's was above a limit thus "proving" I can work. The fact that because of networking, economy,more emphasis on "people skills" age discrimination combined with my traits I have always had makes me unemployable now has no relevance. 3 disabilities lawyers refused to take my case.

I have been approved for SSI based on non autistic visible illnesses I am going to discuss in a future thread.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman