Beta males - why do woman dislike them?

Page 15 of 20 [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 20  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 3:44 am

JNathanK wrote:
I think this is BS. If ure inconfident you're inconfident. If you slouch you slouch. No need to call a human being an alpha and beta or whatever. Its a bunch of pickup artist crap.

If you want to understand cliche female psychology, read a romance novel instead, because at least its written by women.

In which the male protagonists are often tall, very handsome, muscled, very confident, very desirable by other women, very masculine and very rich.

This is what we learn of the cliche female psychology from romance novels written by women.

So why when guys call it 'alpha' it's suddenly a pua crap?

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 7:05 am

I dont think women necessarily dislike men with these qualities. They just want a guy that isn't needy in various ways. Most people don't want needy partners including guys. It takes up too much psychic energy.When you're chronically inconfident its like there's a black hole in your soul and it sucks. It sucks for you and it sucks for everyone around you. Theres a way to close the hole, but it takes self reflection and personal work.

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 7:11 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
JNathanK wrote:
I think this is BS. If ure inconfident you're inconfident. If you slouch you slouch. No need to call a human being an alpha and beta or whatever. Its a bunch of pickup artist crap.

If you want to understand cliche female psychology, read a romance novel instead, because at least its written by women.

In which the male protagonists are often tall, very handsome, muscled, very confident, very desirable by other women, very masculine and very rich.

This is what we learn of the cliche female psychology from romance novels written by women.

So why when guys call it 'alpha' it's suddenly a pua crap?

Yah, fat girl (er lush girl, round girl) with low self esteem gets super handsome billionaire and they live happily ever after.lol, theyre pretty funny. Naw, PUA stuff is on that same level, and its probably good to understand the exaggerations in psychology. Im just saying its better to get it from woman authors. You see the kind of female ideal of males, but then you see the female vulnerabilities behind it. ...but no, the whole alpha-beta male construct is straight out of PUA. I don't think its a healthy outlook.

Malaise
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Sep 2015, 9:37 am

JNathanK wrote:
I dont think women necessarily dislike men with these qualities. They just want a guy that isn't needy in various ways. Most people don't want needy partners including guys. It takes up too much psychic energy.When you're chronically inconfident its like there's a black hole in your soul and it sucks. It sucks for you and it sucks for everyone around you. Theres a way to close the hole, but it takes self reflection and personal work.

I think this is closer than many explanations, except perhaps people who don't present themselves well and are easily passed over. I don't think it should be surprising at this point that people prefer clean, well-dressed partners and can get a little superficial about it at times.

The big problem as I see it isn't about whether you're good-looking, outgoing, and a leader or not. In my experience people (of any gender) who are unsuccessful and insecure about it can become needy, and push for things to happen. They always want more and there's a lot of pressure when someone comes in with an expectation for how things are going to be and what they should get out of a new connection. Stressful and strained connections don't bring closeness of any kind.

It's not about being shy, introverted, or different in general. I play online games with a group of five men and two other women, and none of the men are "alpha" stereotypes. One is very shy. One is 28 but sounds like he's 14, and is very short (and loud). One only talks through his wife. One is very serious and introverted. There's nothing unpleasant about them and two of them are married, so some other women agree.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 9:44 am

Ferrus91 wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
It's like you are comparing the biggest loser in the school to the prom king and saying that they are just slightly different so why are they thought about like that? And I was the biggest female loser in my school for a very long time, so I totally get that.

You can't just catagorize people into alpha and beta and all that s**t. It doesn't work that way in real life except when you recognize that some people are alphas because they are leaders and have forceful personalities. Alpha doesn't always mean very popular and cute, many times it's a leader type as well.

For the two photos in the first post you had, it's sort of obvious that one guy takes care of himself and the other one doesnt. I know that you can't make yourself that good looking if you aren't normally that good looking but a person can do a lot to get past how that pic was. Losing weight, doing something about the skin, the hair, maybe contacts, smile, clothes that look better on, etc. There are small things you can do.

If you wonder why the girls like the guy in the pic on the right over the one on the left, it's simple attraction. Pure physical attraction. Also he's probably got confidence because of his looks. If you aren't great looking then you have to fake confidence but it can be done. I did it. And no, it wasn't easier for girls back when I was in school. I went in the 70's and first couple years of the 80's. You saw that 70's show? Well back then in my school everybody was a Jackie. EVERYBODY but a very few girls. That is what you had to learn how to be and I did and I had to do it without anything coming naturally to me or being pretty, and also having almost no boobs or ass. It was brutal back then.

People are turned off by those who don't take care of themselves, while you may not be first on somebody's list if you do take care of yourself, you aren't going to be at the bottom of it either. I went to school with a guy who was very overweight and had terrible skin and glasses and greasy hair and was rude as hell in school. Nobody liked him, including me back then, because he was dirty and didn't take care of himself at all and because he was so mean and negative. I ran into that guy years later and we got to be good friends and he hung out with my husband and myself a whole lot for a long time. He had lost weight and started washing his face and wearing decent clothes and taking a shower and he got a hair cut. He was kinda hot then. Not like the prom king type but certainly not somebody you would turn your nose up at. He wished he had done soemthing about it in school rather than just be a bitter as*hole to everybody.

Yeah, well I don't want to wear contacts. If this is something that is a dealbreaker then sobeit I guess.

Was contacts the ONLY thing you saw in that? My husband is an alpha sort, and wears glasses. He wore them when I met him. That's not all that important. Maybe get some frames that look good on you and are in style. I won't wear contacts either but I want to. I can't put anything in my eye. I can't wear them for glasses because I need one for reading and one for seeing and any kind of weird bifocal s**t will bother me so I won't even wear bifocal glasses. But I want some for color. My eyes are sometimes light brown and other times green and other times greyish. I want dark brown eyes like my husband and two of my kids. The other two have green and blue. I can't put contacts in to save my life so that's out.

But how about the other stuff?

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 9:56 am

There was a woman on the train who plopped right next to me, knocking me around a little. Probably 300 lbs.

Her self-esteem is not affected by her weight.

We talked a little. I felt a little something (obviously, I can't do anything about it!)

But, if I was single, I wouldn't have minded dating her; she had a good SPIRIT about her. And she wasn't bad-looking, either.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 10:00 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
There was a woman on the train who plopped right next to me, knocking me around a little. Probably 300 lbs.

Her self-esteem is not affected by her weight.

We talked a little. I felt a little something (obviously, I can't do anything about it!)

But, if I was single, I wouldn't have minded dating her; she had a good SPIRIT about her. And she wasn't bad-looking, either.

Don't tell me you got an erection on the train.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 10:01 am

Not quite a full erection--but the FEELING was definitely present.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 10:03 am

I should acquire this ability, I don't have it :-/.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 10:05 am

You probably have more depth to you. I'm just a raging maniac!

Ferrus91
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Sep 2015, 10:31 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
Ferrus91 wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
It's like you are comparing the biggest loser in the school to the prom king and saying that they are just slightly different so why are they thought about like that? And I was the biggest female loser in my school for a very long time, so I totally get that.

You can't just catagorize people into alpha and beta and all that s**t. It doesn't work that way in real life except when you recognize that some people are alphas because they are leaders and have forceful personalities. Alpha doesn't always mean very popular and cute, many times it's a leader type as well.

For the two photos in the first post you had, it's sort of obvious that one guy takes care of himself and the other one doesnt. I know that you can't make yourself that good looking if you aren't normally that good looking but a person can do a lot to get past how that pic was. Losing weight, doing something about the skin, the hair, maybe contacts, smile, clothes that look better on, etc. There are small things you can do.

If you wonder why the girls like the guy in the pic on the right over the one on the left, it's simple attraction. Pure physical attraction. Also he's probably got confidence because of his looks. If you aren't great looking then you have to fake confidence but it can be done. I did it. And no, it wasn't easier for girls back when I was in school. I went in the 70's and first couple years of the 80's. You saw that 70's show? Well back then in my school everybody was a Jackie. EVERYBODY but a very few girls. That is what you had to learn how to be and I did and I had to do it without anything coming naturally to me or being pretty, and also having almost no boobs or ass. It was brutal back then.

People are turned off by those who don't take care of themselves, while you may not be first on somebody's list if you do take care of yourself, you aren't going to be at the bottom of it either. I went to school with a guy who was very overweight and had terrible skin and glasses and greasy hair and was rude as hell in school. Nobody liked him, including me back then, because he was dirty and didn't take care of himself at all and because he was so mean and negative. I ran into that guy years later and we got to be good friends and he hung out with my husband and myself a whole lot for a long time. He had lost weight and started washing his face and wearing decent clothes and taking a shower and he got a hair cut. He was kinda hot then. Not like the prom king type but certainly not somebody you would turn your nose up at. He wished he had done soemthing about it in school rather than just be a bitter as*hole to everybody.

Yeah, well I don't want to wear contacts. If this is something that is a dealbreaker then sobeit I guess.

Was contacts the ONLY thing you saw in that? My husband is an alpha sort, and wears glasses. He wore them when I met him. That's not all that important. Maybe get some frames that look good on you and are in style. I won't wear contacts either but I want to. I can't put anything in my eye. I can't wear them for glasses because I need one for reading and one for seeing and any kind of weird bifocal s**t will bother me so I won't even wear bifocal glasses. But I want some for color. My eyes are sometimes light brown and other times green and other times greyish. I want dark brown eyes like my husband and two of my kids. The other two have green and blue. I can't put contacts in to save my life so that's out.

Well that's the issue. I have poor motor-co-ordination skills, so I'd be worried about putting anything fiddly in my eyes for fear of damaging them. I break enough glasses by mistake: at least they are replaceable.

I dealt with my weight issues a few years ago... and I run half an hour every day. I've always walked long distance.

I keep my hair cut short on a regular basis now and I have pretty decent clothes. I mean, I actually earn a reasonable amount of money as a software developer (a predictable job, I suppose but one which seems to put me in demand) so I have enough surplus cash these days to get such things. I struggle with the social things, but I can put on enough of an act to be friendly or professional. Why would I bother responding to any of the parts that you wrote that aren't directly relevant to me at the moment?

It doesn't seem to really help much beyond that.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 11:19 am

Ferrus91 wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
Ferrus91 wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

Well that's the issue. I have poor motor-co-ordination skills, so I'd be worried about putting anything fiddly in my eyes for fear of damaging them. I break enough glasses by mistake: at least they are replaceable.

I dealt with my weight issues a few years ago... and I run half an hour every day. I've always walked long distance.

I keep my hair cut short on a regular basis now and I have pretty decent clothes. I mean, I actually earn a reasonable amount of money as a software developer (a predictable job, I suppose but one which seems to put me in demand) so I have enough surplus cash these days to get such things. I struggle with the social things, but I can put on enough of an act to be friendly or professional. Why would I bother responding to any of the parts that you wrote that aren't directly relevant to me at the moment?

It doesn't seem to really help much beyond that.

I meant what were your thoughts on it.

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 11:20 am

Catlover5 wrote:
It's important to remember that every female is different. Everyone has their own "type". Yes, there are some women who just want a stinking rich sugar daddy or a wall-to-wall-muscles-washboard-abs hunk but those kinds of women are not good to be in relationships with because they don't love you as a person, they just want you for your "good bits". There are women who do like "beta males", but there's much more to loving someone than that, it's just another stupid "stereotype". No matter what, both people in a relationship should love the other person for who they are. If not, they shouldn't even bother with each other.

I don't really see the guy on the right in the picture as an "alpha" male either. Someone who's shy, despite whether women like them or not, isn't really a type A person. Type a is more of an assertive attitude. It has less to do with looks. You can be kind of fugly and be more assertive and dominant than someone who's a pretty boy. I'm not really an overly assertive or picky person myself, nor do I care to be. I like just being laid back and I try to be down to earth.

Ferrus91
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Sep 2015, 11:52 am

OliveOilMom wrote:

Well, I just get annoyed when people make blanket statements without realising that sometimes people do have good reasons for not doing 'x'.

For example: I don't drive? Should I? I don't know, my poor motor-co-ordination and attention to surroundings would likely mean I'd have a higher than average chance of killing myself or someone else. So by not driving I am at least being principled. But apparently this still makes me a bad person and one who should never have a girlfriend.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 12:09 pm

Ferrus91 wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

Well, I just get annoyed when people make blanket statements without realising that sometimes people do have good reasons for not doing 'x'.

For example: I don't drive? Should I? I don't know, my poor motor-co-ordination and attention to surroundings would likely mean I'd have a higher than average chance of killing myself or someone else. So by not driving I am at least being principled. But apparently this still makes me a bad person and one who should never have a girlfriend.

I made a general statement. It's not meant to cover every situation, it's just in general.

Also, I never said anything about you driving. While cars are important to some girls and grown ladies too, for the most part the car the guy drives, or if he even drives, stopped being important after about high school. The area I live in requires a car to get around because we have no public transportation at all, but lots of people don't have cars and just get rides from friends of their significant other. Where did this driving business come in?

My youngest son doesn't drive yet. I've tried to teach him and it's HELL. Other people have too and it's HELL. HE's learned a little here and there and I'm sure will learn one day when he finds somebody he clicks with that way in the driver's seat but as of now, he's 20 and doesn't drive. His girlfriend drives him where they need to go and he gets a ride with a friend to work. He's the one I think may have a little AS like I do, except he's pretty social. His is other things, not so much not being able to socialize but lots of things I eventually noticed about him and thought back on much after I got my dx when I was middle aged. He's just too scared in the driver's seat. He can drive and has driven when somebody was sick or his ride got drunk or there was another emergency but he's NOT a driver and knows it. We just pretend he chooses not to in front of him so he doesn't get all pissy about it. He really doesn't know how very well and nobody will teach him because he b*****s and yells and this and that and no matter how you tell him to do it you told him wrong, yaddah yaddah. He's usually a very nice guy and gets along with people but he can be extremely bitchy and extremely negative.

So, he doesn't drive and has a gf he lives with and a job and pays the bills and all that. Not driving doesn't make you anything except not a driver, and unable to buy Sudafed in this town because they won't take state ID, only drivers license.

Who said something about driving?

Ferrus91
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Sep 2015, 12:52 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
Also, I never said anything about you driving. While cars are important to some girls and grown ladies too, for the most part the car the guy drives, or if he even drives, stopped being important after about high school. The area I live in requires a car to get around because we have no public transportation at all, but lots of people don't have cars and just get rides from friends of their significant other. Where did this driving business come in?

My youngest son doesn't drive yet. I've tried to teach him and it's HELL. Other people have too and it's HELL. HE's learned a little here and there and I'm sure will learn one day when he finds somebody he clicks with that way in the driver's seat but as of now, he's 20 and doesn't drive. His girlfriend drives him where they need to go and he gets a ride with a friend to work. He's the one I think may have a little AS like I do, except he's pretty social. His is other things, not so much not being able to socialize but lots of things I eventually noticed about him and thought back on much after I got my dx when I was middle aged. He's just too scared in the driver's seat. He can drive and has driven when somebody was sick or his ride got drunk or there was another emergency but he's NOT a driver and knows it. We just pretend he chooses not to in front of him so he doesn't get all pissy about it. He really doesn't know how very well and nobody will teach him because he b*****s and yells and this and that and no matter how you tell him to do it you told him wrong, yaddah yaddah. He's usually a very nice guy and gets along with people but he can be extremely bitchy and extremely negative.

So, he doesn't drive and has a gf he lives with and a job and pays the bills and all that. Not driving doesn't make you anything except not a driver, and unable to buy Sudafed in this town because they won't take state ID, only drivers license.

Who said something about driving?

I know, it was an example a lot of people bring up that seems a similar issue to me.

The irony is, I don't need a car as I live in the UK where I can get around using the extensive train system (the timetables of which I have memorised, of course, I say with a hollow laugh), and even travel a lot around Europe by train and air - and the walking I do as a consequence has kept me a lot thinner and in better shape than I otherwise would be and save money. So there is actually little practical reason for me to drive except the social kudos that would come with that and as you say the notion of being 'grown up' and a useful adult. If I did learn to drive it would be almost entirely for the purpose of trying to if not impress women, to at least be moderately acceptable to them... which is why I raise it, as it comes under the same category for me. But then I'm conflicted - is it a good idea to do it solely for this purpose or not, given the outcome is (to say the least) difficult to judge for certain? And it does feel like an awful long list of things I have to do before I am even considered, which then makes me wonder if it is even worth the effort. Although there are plenty of people willing to tell me, unless I do, my life will inevitably be horrible, I'd have a terrible old age, my life will be wasted etc.

I suppose in this case the real answer is moving to London, where no one drives, which is something I passed up recently.