RubyTates
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Sep 2015, 1:04 pm

WantToHaveALife wrote:
RubyTates wrote:
WantToHaveALife wrote:
RubyTates wrote:
Perhaps you should just initiate. I know that if I like someone I would want to be the one initiating.

I say this because that way I can choose who I want to spend my time with.

As an aspie girl, I often find that NT males come up to me and want to flirt and I am just not interested in their advances. I show that I am not interested but they still do it anyways. This is highly annoying and might be why I am slightly against males initiating- because I don't want them to.

As a female, I can tell when a guy is into me and I find the shyness of Asperger's very cute. You just may be his dream girl if you are the one to initiate because you have relieved him of the stress of having to do it himself. You can't be so old-fashioned in your thinking when you are trying to begin a relationship with an Aspie because some of the tried and true ways of courtship do not work.

ya it would be awesome and nice if more girls made the first move

I actually think it is much better for girls to initiate. If they are sick and tired of being hit on by guys who they do not like and wishing "Mr. Right" would just ask them out- they can just ask Mr.Right out themselves and be done with it. Get to the point, I say!

sadly I don't ever see this becoming a norm

Probably not in the NT world, but I find that Aspie women are far more blunt and literal. If someone who I am trying to initiate is starting to play games-I just move on to the next, no hurt feelings for me. I hate mind games.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2015, 7:47 pm

I was at the Dog Park recently and had a good conversation with a woman from Turkey, she told me that in Europe it's not uncommon for women to approach men

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2015, 7:53 pm

I've only been approached once by a woman for the express purpose of dating. This happened in 1978, at the age of 17. She turned out to be a Jesus Freak.

I just don't get approached by women. That's just the way it is.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2015, 9:07 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I've only been approached once by a woman for the express purpose of dating. This happened in 1978, at the age of 17. She turned out to be a Jesus Freak.

ya that's why lately I wonder why I don't have the hunter/pursuer instinct inside of me, they say men are natural hunters/pursuers, I never had that in me

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2015, 9:48 pm

It's hard with societal strictures and rules.

It would be nice if women approached me....and approached you.

I guess you'll have to meet somebody through hanging out with a group with a common purpose.

Mr.Pap
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Sep 2015, 1:02 am

I usually "corner them" after getting the supreme confidence I got from a hypnosis program. I was reluctant in the past but nowadays it's actually an enjoyable process. I just adjust "the timing factor" and when the circumstances permit, I just hang around with them and it feels like we're strolling together without having to ask them out.

I have to admit though, now that I honed my social skills I add a little conversational hypnosis to the mix and it works like a charm. You have to enjoy what you're doing or forget about it.

SwissPagan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Sep 2015, 2:29 am

all the "dates" I have had have all been blanketed under an activity or lesson, tutoring and such, but even after the lesson is over, the girl wants me to prolong my time and it sort of morphs into a date... but it was kind of mutually caused, but not arranged.

Baffled
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Oct 2015, 1:49 am

Crazyfool wrote:
Well thank's bud you're pretty rad your self ;) I'm 28 btw. I know my advice probably seemed a little childish with the letter recommendation lol but sometimes depending on the individual you gotta use unconventional methods playing the dating game.

I just read your original post about this man and a few comments down and I'm short on time otherwise I'd read more. I wouldn't be so quick to give up as that first poster recommended. I think he's probably at a loss as to what to do next and riddled with fear of messing it up on top of it. By everything you said about how he's acting would lead me to believe he is very interested in you, especially the bit you said about your conversation after the one time you guys did meet up. Don't assume that the current circumstances will persist through out the entire future, and you will only see this guy once every few months...That is ridiculous.

I think this guy is just having a hard time expressing his feelings towards you and also struggling with picking up on yours. In my opinion he just needs a push and some reassurment that his efforts will not be counteractive end up just pushing you away. He's made it clear that he's got some fear around being shot down, already. I would imagine that he attributes some of his past efforts to "make moves" with getting turned down and is probably at the very least reluctant or maybe even deathly afraid to make any moves again....reassure him that he is safe to act and speak freely around you, reassure him that you really do find him interesting and appealing...I feel like he just needs you to say it, because I do not know why else he would drag his feet for so long.

I think all of his behavior speaks for its self and I think you know that but are just afraid to put it to the test...understandably too. You've invested a lot of emotion into what you guy have shared already, I'd be afraid to put that on the line too... but if you're scared chances are he's more scared...just telling ya how it looks to me. Personally if I were in his shoes then I the only reason I wouldn't have done more to move on with everything are either 1. fear of being shot down, 2. I don't share those feelings. If it were the latter, I wouldn't have shared my insecurities around relationships or bombard you with a million thank you's and I also wouldn't be struggling so much to spend some time with you....I know that sounds backwards but I often have the hardest time letting someone get to know me, that I have strong feelings for. If it were someone I knew I had intended on keeping in the friend zone..then meeting up for short bursts wouldn't feel like such a burden because I know less is expected of me.

So If I were you I would reassure him of everything I mentioned, be blunt about your feelings with him, and if need be just flat out ask him if he feels the same way. Tell him you need to see him more than once in a blue moon. Just tell him you need to know because it's only fair to you know if these feelings are worth the energy. He wont be offended, and I think that might finally get things in motion for you two, if the feelings are mutual. Does he know you're aware of him being an aspie? That's my biggest fear around dating is that once she finds out it'll be a lost cause....

I really hope that my experiences are reflecting his behavior correctly and I'm not just giving blind advice here....either way being bold with him couldn't possibly hurt matters unless you are content on having relationship over the phone for ever...

Hello Crazy Fool - I have a question for you???

So almost a month has past since, my sweet aspie-non-boyfriend returned from a business trip and emailed to let me know that he was home safely. The following week, he emailed that he had the flu (I reached out as the doting mother and he wanted for me to call him 3 times and thanked me). Then I let two weeks go by and did not contact him, lo and beyold he emails again (it's like he looks for an excuse to email or connect with me). He wanted to know about something and I didn't reply for 3 days because I'm confused and exhausted. I finally replied back and told him that if he needed something to call and that emailing is okay as long as he is calling more than emailing. I also told him that I needed to see some effort from him and that I needed to spend time with him (first time, I am telling him what I need). I went on a job interview in another state last week and called him. He seemed caught off guard that I was in another state interviewing without telling him. Being overwhelmed and hurt, we had a short conversation in which I told him to arrange a plan to meet and that I didn't want to hear any excuses and to figure it out. By the end of the conversation, he said that he would do it. then nothing, and then didn't receive emails from him, because guess why . . . I told him to call more than email so he backed off. I emailed to express my apology for the tone that I used with him and also told him that I was feeling hurt by his lack of effort to see me, that I wasn't interested in a internet buddy or phone affair. I also let him know that I understand that it is not his intention to be hurtful and that I am not blaming him. I told him that I was offered the position to move to another state, but that I was stalling them because I wanted to discuss with him and that I trusted that he would make plans. He emailed back quickly and asked why was I waiting and that I should call Monday to accept the offer. That it seems to be my only option and it makes sense, and why am I stalling. Also, said that he will call tomorrow night.

I am so beyond confused. The Asperger thing has to play a huge role in our communication problems. I am not able to express how I feel about him without meeting him again. He is now acting like he did when we began talking until I reassured him and built trust. I want to stay here where I live and marry him and live happily or Asperger happlily ever after. I have invested so much time and emotional energy. And, no he does not know that I know he has Asperger's. He also does not know the extent of hurt that he has caused. Suggestions for tomorrow's conversation. I want to make it short and get him to make a plan to meet this week. Thank you

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2015, 2:04 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

I think this never happened to me. The closest was a girl asking for a hike (with the intention of a date, but not saying it). I also think some might have asked me for a dance with that intention, but it never happened literally.

Also, all of those failed miserably. I think that if a girl actually asked for a date, I'd be totally lost at what to say and probably wouldn't be able to say anything. So, no, I don't think this will solve the problem of neurodiverse guys.

Instead, what has been a persistent pattern in successful interactions was always that the girl participated actively, and that her view was not that the "guy does it all". The "guy does it all" attitude is 100% certain to cause failure, but I don't need the girl to actually initiate.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2015, 6:02 pm

rdos wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I think this never happened to me. The closest was a girl asking for a hike (with the intention of a date, but not saying it). I also think some might have asked me for a dance with that intention, but it never happened literally.

Also, all of those failed miserably. I think that if a girl actually asked for a date, I'd be totally lost at what to say and probably wouldn't be able to say anything. So, no, I don't think this will solve the problem of neurodiverse guys.

Instead, what has been a persistent pattern in successful interactions was always that the girl participated actively, and that her view was not that the "guy does it all". The "guy does it all" attitude is 100% certain to cause failure, but I don't need the girl to actually initiate.

I really hate how we have to enter a password now in order to submit the post, and a lot of times it keeps asking us to do it, and it makes have to start all over again with our post

voleregard
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: A magical place without backup warning beepers or leaf blowers

09 Oct 2015, 8:00 pm

Baffled wrote:
The Asperger thing has to play a huge role in our communication problems. I am not able to express how I feel about him without meeting him again. He is now acting like he did when we began talking until I reassured him and built trust. I want to stay here where I live and marry him and live happily or Asperger happlily ever after. I have invested so much time and emotional energy.

I've had girls do what you're doing. Be involved in my life, and giving all types of indication of interest, long conversations, hanging out. If I truly didn't like them, they'd have heard it by now. What was missing was my comprehension of what progressing to the next steps looked like.

I needed to initiate, but I didn't know what the process was. I thought things would just progress. I didn't know what would move things forward. What would I say to make that happen. What actions are expected to make things move forward.

It would have helped if someone would have just been willing enough to sit down and explain the things that everyone is supposed to just know how to do. Not said in a way of "This is what I want you to do" tone. But, in a "I like you and I want things to move forward. I want to share with you what moving forward looks like for me but I don't want it to move us apart, just want you to know how a relationship with me would move forward if that's what you want" kind of way. One complicating factor though is that I didn't want to think I didn't already know how to handle the situation. It wasn't a "wanting to be in charge" thing, just more of a feeling competent in life kind of thing. Support for aspies really misses the boat in this area.

He also may not be able to put himself in the future or imagine the kind of life you're envisioning. That part was shut down for me too. I couldn't comprehend moving toward something that I couldn't understand. There's several levels to it.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2015, 5:26 pm

He likes your company, email allows him to deal with CONTENT and FACTS Without worrying about stuff we don't understand and have little interest like facial expressions

If this is his preffered medium why not move things along via email? Of course your needs are important too.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2015, 1:50 am

voleregard wrote:
I've had girls do what you're doing. Be involved in my life, and giving all types of indication of interest, long conversations, hanging out. If I truly didn't like them, they'd have heard it by now. What was missing was my comprehension of what progressing to the next steps looked like.

For guys, I think there are two different steps. The first step is to acknowledge the effort a girl has put down in you, which will break the approach block and make you able to approach her and talk. The second step is to acknowledge that you are exclusive with her, which will kind of turn-off your desire to flirt with other girls for many years. Of course, both guys and girls must be very careful to take the second step because I think that might be just as hard to get out of as a crush, so people could waste many years on that simple decision.

ForRetail
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Oct 2015, 7:09 am

rdos wrote:
voleregard wrote:

For guys, I think there are two different steps. The first step is to acknowledge the effort a girl has put down in you, which will break the approach block and make you able to approach her and talk. The second step is to acknowledge that you are exclusive with her, which will kind of turn-off your desire to flirt with other girls for many years. Of course, both guys and girls must be very careful to take the second step because I think that might be just as hard to get out of as a crush, so people could waste many years on that simple decision.

Or you could go out with the person a few times, have a Conversation about dating exclusively and then mutually decide to do so (or not). The staring, the one sided ness, the exclusivity without consulting the other person's just creepy.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2015, 8:10 am

ForRetail wrote:
rdos wrote:
voleregard wrote:

Or you could go out with the person a few times,

I'd never get to that stage because I wouldn't approach or talk to them. So regardless of method, I first need to get over the approach block before anything will happen. Unless the girl initiates contact.

ForRetail wrote:
have a Conversation about dating exclusively and then mutually decide to do so (or not).

Never had an exclusive talk. That's implicit once you get to a certain stage. That's also why dating is so maladaptive. If the ND person think they have reached a stage where he/she might find it a good idea to get exclusive, this can have a direct effect on his/her ability to want to initiate contact with others for years.

ForRetail wrote:
The staring, the one sided ness, the exclusivity without consulting the other person's just creepy.

The problem people needs to be aware of is that it is possible to go exclusive as an one-sided action, and that this can lead to severe problems for a long time. NTs simply doesn't have this problem because they can stop being exclusive in a snap if they decide to.

ForRetail
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Oct 2015, 1:00 pm

rdos wrote:
ForRetail wrote:
rdos wrote:
voleregard wrote:

Or you could go out with the person a few times,

I'd never get to that stage because I wouldn't approach or talk to them. So regardless of method, I first need to get over the approach block before anything will happen. Unless the girl initiates contact.

ForRetail wrote:
have a Conversation about dating exclusively and then mutually decide to do so (or not).

Never had an exclusive talk. That's implicit once you get to a certain stage. That's also why dating is so maladaptive. If the ND person think they have reached a stage where he/she might find it a good idea to get exclusive, this can have a direct effect on his/her ability to want to initiate contact with others for years.

ForRetail wrote:
The staring, the one sided ness, the exclusivity without consulting the other person's just creepy.

The problem people needs to be aware of is that it is possible to go exclusive as an one-sided action, and that this can lead to severe problems for a long time. NTs simply doesn't have this problem because they can stop being exclusive in a snap if they decide to.

Perhaps the exclusive thing is implicit for you but it might not be for the girl you're (hypothetically) dating. Who'll likely be dating others because telepathy's not her thing.

I'm an Aspie and I can absolutely stop liking people who, you know, dump me. It's not a skill exclusive to NTs.

(I've also told idiot guys who somehow assumed we were dating exclusively because we'd been out 3 or 5 times to go to hell. Even if the dates had been going well up until then. It's creepy and possessive).