Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 5:05 pm

With all this freaking out about sinning lately, I stumbled upon an online blog post written by somebody who goes to the same church as the beleaguered Duggar clan. She says in God's eyes, Josh Duggar's sins aren't worse than hers, his, yours, or ours.

https://godsgirljulia.wordpress.com/i-am-josh-duggar/

It is something that Christians tend to forget form time to time when they choose to pick up stones and cast them at others and it's what Jesus knew when he stood with the woman in the adultery pit who was about to be stoned so they wouldn't stone her without stoning him. It wasn't too long ago Josh and the Duggars were casting these stones but now they are humbled.

This is the crux of the maelstrom Josh Duggar finds himself in. Judgments and sins or in his case, perhaps illegal activities.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 5:37 pm

Clearly not.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 5:42 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
Clearly not.

It's obvious in mankind's eyes they aren't, but what about God's?
There's mankind's laws which you better obey unless you want to go to jail then there's sinning which God supposedly hates and will send you to hell for.
Jesus supposedly died so we can sin and be forgiven.
So basically the only thing that matters is mankind's law.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 5:53 pm

The bible is riddled with sins that are assigned a degree of grievousness.

Why do we have things called deadly sins if all sins are alike?

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 5:56 pm

There are christian faiths where your perceived piety is proportional to the grievousness of the sins of which you have supposedly repented.

Which is pretty twisted, imho.

And probably what this person was on about.

Sorry, lady. Not everybody is as sick as you are.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 5:58 pm

Calvin argues that we are all lost to the flames of hell except by the grace of god.

It's all angels dancing on the head of a pin to me, though.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 6:03 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
There are christian faiths where your perceived piety is proportional to the grievousness of the sins of which you have supposedly repented.

Yes but the whole point of the new testament is we are all born into a state of sin and Jesus forgives us so we can go to heaven. He died for the sins of mankind.

Then there's mankind's law where the "sins" are given grievousness depending on their nature. So in this life you suffer for your sins but the Christos gives you a better afterlife even if you messed up severely in this one. That is the meat of the New Testament.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 6:17 pm

blauSamstag wrote:

This is not a Christian principle, it's a Catholic one. There are no seven deadly sins. That concept never appears in the Bible. Its an addition that some chose to put forward afterwards. As with many things that are labeled Christian that are not.

I recently had this discussion with a friend. While when attempting to resolve this by the Bible, you can make a case for either side, It would appear as though there may be. Without going through and referencing the particular verses, Jesus does reference things being "worse for (blank) than for Sodom on the day of judgement" (paraphrasing). We also see other references of some people's punishment being more tolerable that others in Paul's letters. Then, of course, there is the unforgivable sin of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. What constitutes said sin is quite murky however...

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 6:31 pm

oops This wasn't supposed to be posted here. Lol. Sorry guys.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 7:15 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Still, gotta give WP folk credit for having a far more adult, respectful, constructive conversation on the matter than most of the Internet...

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 7:20 pm

Edenthiel wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Still, gotta give WP folk credit for having a far more adult, respectful, constructive conversation on the matter than most of the Internet...

Haha I should have deleted that one post but I was so embarrassed I made the mistake of posting it here. It was supposed to go in an email which this window resembles somewhat, but I had several windows going at once. I got flustered at my error and edited the post as soon as I realize it. Now that I'm thinking more clearly, I wish I would have just deleted it .

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 7:34 pm

There's a difference between sin on a "spiritual" level and on a "physical" level.

All sin is the same in a spiritual sense in the fact that just ONE sin makes us impure/unholy. In this way, all people are the same. Not one person is unaffected by sin. We have all committed sin - all different kinds. In this way, we are all equal in the sense that we are blemished before a holy God.

However, the results of sins and the effects of sins in this world are drastically different. Some sins ARE more devastating than others, more destructive to society, hurt more people and so forth. I think that ignoring this fact is a cop-out.

I don't know if I would say that all sins are equal in God's eyes so much as all sinners are equal in God's eyes. He offers the same mercy and forgiveness to all, and to those who reject Him the same punishment.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 9:00 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:

Yes but the whole point of the new testament is we are all born into a state of sin and Jesus forgives us so we can go to heaven. He died for the sins of mankind.

Then there's mankind's law where the "sins" are given grievousness depending on their nature. So in this life you suffer for your sins but the Christos gives you a better afterlife even if you messed up severely in this one. That is the meat of the New Testament.

Well, there's Matthew 12 - and remember this is J speaking:

Quote:
31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

So clearly sinning against man and sinning against God are different, according to J.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 9:02 pm

beakybird wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:

This is not a Christian principle, it's a Catholic one. There are no seven deadly sins. That concept never appears in the Bible. Its an addition that some chose to put forward afterwards. As with many things that are labeled Christian that are not.

Sure about that?

1 John 5

Quote:
16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

It seems that according to the new testament there is "sin unto death" and "sin not unto death"

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 10:05 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:

Well, there's Matthew 12 - and remember this is J speaking:

Quote:
31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

So clearly sinning against man and sinning against God are different, according to J.

You know how I interpret that? What He is saying is, the worst sin is to lose your spirituality. If you are not spiritual and just going through the motions, everything will backfire on you. You must be spiritual.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 10:11 pm

nerdygirl wrote:
There's a difference between sin on a "spiritual" level and on a "physical" level.

All sin is the same in a spiritual sense in the fact that just ONE sin makes us impure/unholy. In this way, all people are the same. Not one person is unaffected by sin. We have all committed sin - all different kinds. In this way, we are all equal in the sense that we are blemished before a holy God.

However, the results of sins and the effects of sins in this world are drastically different. Some sins ARE more devastating than others, more destructive to society, hurt more people and so forth. I think that ignoring this fact is a cop-out.

I don't know if I would say that all sins are equal in God's eyes so much as all sinners are equal in God's eyes. He offers the same mercy and forgiveness to all, and to those who reject Him the same punishment.

Maybe during Christ's time on earth, Pharisees had an attitude not unlike the Brahmins where they saw mankind as dirty and untouchable because they were all sinners and the Pharisees had to separate themselves from The Unclean. When Christ came along, He said there is no separation, as He illustrated in the Parable of Lazarus And The Rich Man and that all mankind are the unclean bound together by the concept of Original Sin. He didn't want that divide to exist between the clergy and mankind or mankind and God for that matter. Actually it might have been Peter who didn't since he is the one who saw the vision.