Social anxiety, I think it's called...

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

rwils79
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Sep 2015, 12:43 am

Hey all, just signed up to this forum. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at a fairly young age and I don't remember much of the session. Anyway, I've come here to hopefully get some insight or at least hear other peoples' stories/experiences about this phenomenon. So, I was talking to my dad today in the car (he was driving, not that that matters) and told him that even when I do little things like opening/closing a house door or window, I always think about the neighbors, in the sense of what they might think: maybe they think that I closed the window because I didn't want to hear them arguing/watching a loud movie/talking at all etc. I really try to not care at all when I am in the act of closing the window or right before it when I'm trying to get myself to do it.

I am currently visiting a psychologist, but I've been trying to deal with other issues other than this one, although we will get to it eventually, I'm sure.

Also, my dad's on sick/stress leave from work at the moment, and he says that he has the same thing as me, but, according to him, not as bad as me.

There are plenty more examples in life that I could write here of when this happens to me, by the way... It's just a constant thing in life that I've learnt to live with to a certain extent, I guess...

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2015, 6:13 am

Yes, caring too much about, what other people think is indeed part of social anxiety, - or at least something, that can lead to it. You´d better take it up with the psych - at least mention it to let him know, that it bothers you.
It´s also characteristic for many aspies - probably because we have a hard work interpreting others.
But make a note of this!
People don´t think much about what you are doing. You´re probably using many hours a day analyzing, because you need it for your interpretations.
NTs don´t.
They won´t for one second, wonder, why you close the window. They´ll probably think, that you have to leave, or feel cold, - that is, IF they think at all.

If your stress-ridden father has the same things, that you do, he´s probably on the spectrum too. You have got it from somebody- and in most cases, it comes from the father.

rwils79
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Sep 2015, 7:52 am

Thanks for your reply, Jensen. If anything, my mother's on the spectrum, not my father. His case is different - it's all work-related stress that built up to the point where he had to take stress/sick leave. He said that he does have similar thoughts to mine in his day-to-day life, but not to the degree that I do. I'll be sure to take the matter up with my psych.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2015, 12:33 pm

Good :-)
Yeah, my mother too was the parent on the spectrum.