Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

mortiis39
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Sep 2015, 6:14 pm

Hi to everyone! I am Scott. I only just joined this wonderful looking site, because I have only just (last week) been diagnosed with "mild Autism" on the spectrum.
Read below for some more about me...

I was born in New Zealand, but moved to Melbourne(Australia) in 2012. I have lived most of my childhood/adolescence in Australia so was very happy to finally permanently move back here.

I have been diagnosed with BPD, severe social phobia, anxiety etc since about 2007, but last week I was also tested and diagnosed with "mild autism" (which I think is just referred to as Asperger's now?)

I would like to know if anyone else has these two combined diagnosis (BPD and Autism/Asperger's), and how they actually cope and deal with that.

At the moment I am still a bit shell-shocked, and I do not really have ANY support any more (I was receiving Schema therapy for the BPD, but that is ending now).

The guy who diagnosed me with the mild Autism said that there's no "treatment" per say for it, which I understand and accept, but he also went on to say that there's no support either, which I cannot accept. He stated that there's only really support for kids whom have Asperger's and Autism, not adults, which is pretty sad really, when you think about it properly.

Also, I was diagnosed with Noonan Syndrome (also this is mild, I believe) when I was 6 years of age, and the Dr. who diagnosed with Autism last week also said that most people who have Noonans also have some form of Autism/Asperger's, so I guess I kind of picked it up that way.

Anyhow, thanks for listening, and I hope someone here can give me some form of good advice.

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2015, 9:29 pm

Hey Scott welcome. :sunny:

We have several members who are BPD and ASD. I'm not one of them though.

I fail to see why adults on the spectrum have no help/support. This is something that really needs to change as there are just so many of us that could really benefit from it.

mortiis39
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Sep 2015, 9:34 pm

Hey RoadRatt,

I thoroughly agree with you, I would also like to explore the link between autism and
paraphillia's, which is something that I have also been diagnosed as having several of.
There's probably a fine line into what can be spoken about (in terms of paraphillia's) on
this particular board, though.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2015, 3:20 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

23andaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Sep 2015, 8:18 pm

I only have a diagnosis for AS and not BPD, but I do see some of the traits of BPD in me to a slight degree.

There are at least a few studies out there finding a correlation between high-functioning ASD and BPD, though I can't find the particular one I remember that found a significantly higher prevalence of diagnosable BPD amongst a female population with Asperger's -- something like 15%. I won't go into details but there's also some hypothesis on a shared underlying neurophysiological basis.

I wish I could offer more help but I found this book written by a woman with BPD tremendously enlightening, probably because of some of the commonalities I just mentioned. It's called "The Buddha and the Borderline" and it is definitely one of favorite books.

Axis I: 299.80 Asperger's Syndrome, 314.00 Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, Predominantly Inattentive Type
Blog: http://www.23andaspie.com

Mecatoi
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Oct 2015, 5:05 pm

I'm reading the book Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder by Marsha M. Linehan. It's addressed to physicians, not patients. But I'm learning a lot with it. (Cf. BPD for Dummies, but Marsha is shorter than any Harry Potter, kids.)

I'm a kind of AS with "mild BPD". I mean, borders have masochistic or suicidal behaviors, depression, defective affectional relations, low self-esteem, no self-identity, paraphilies and they need to be with others all the time.

On the other hand, aspies are narcissists ("L'enfer sont les autres", JPS), love be alone, have high-esteem and no negative thoughts nor affectional or sexual relations at all (so to say). They also have no rage outbursts: they enter in the “catatonic mode”.

But both aspies 8O and borders :twisted: have a “half”, a “fifty” in common. Then, I can call myself as an “asbie”, an ASBPD.

The author wants to teach therapists how to work with borders. To me, as a "dummy", she describes perfectly how borders are. So, I do understand better my own behavior and try to apply the "tips and tricks" she teaches when the "therapy" fails (I mean, that one we make with ourselves since the birth).

Aspies don't need to read comments on suicidal or depressing behaviors or specific cases as e.g. And if you're not a scolar, skip biblios references. (Now, we're talking about 300 pages from 700...)

Let me know what do you think, fellas.
(Hope I made myself understandable. About my mistakes, let's say that I'm using a kind of "foreign colloquial English"...) :wink:

sport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Mar 2020, 11:51 am

Welcome Mortiis as far as I've been tested only autism shows up but some other traits are on the overloaded side.I always have trouble.

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 2:15 am

Welcome!

I'm not saying someone can't have both BPD and ASD, but I know a few autistic people who were misdiagnosed with Borderline PD before getting their autism diagnosis. All women. The emotional sensitivity and social communication problems of female aspies can manifest in unstable intense relationships which looks a lot like Borderline PD to a psychiatrist, who isn't looking for autism in an adult female.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 4:21 pm

Mecatoi wrote:
On the other hand, aspies are narcissists ("L'enfer sont les autres", JPS), love be alone, have high-esteem and no negative thoughts nor affectional or sexual relations at all (so to say). They also have no rage outbursts: they enter in the “catatonic mode”.

The above is certainly not true of all or most Aspies. If you explore this board you'll see that many (though not all) Aspies have low self exteem, strongly desire affectional/sexual relationships (but have difficulty finding them), and are prone to rage outbursts. Also being an Aspie is certainly not the same thing as being a narcissist.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 9:05 pm

Mecatoi wrote:

This is just completely wrong.

sport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Mar 2020, 9:51 am

I think that being autistic is like the rainbow its everywhere.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2020, 10:06 pm

Mecatoi wrote:

None of the underlined has ever been relevant for my experience with ASD. My self-esteem has always been fairly neutral, but I am prone to negative thoughts, do experience affectional and sexual desire for others and am far more prone to rage than I'd like to admit to.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2020, 1:42 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Mecatoi wrote:

None of the underlined has ever been relevant for my experience with ASD. My self-esteem has always been fairly neutral, but I am prone to negative thoughts, do experience affectional and sexual desire for others and am far more prone to rage than I'd like to admit to.

Same here

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

sport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Apr 2020, 10:26 am

I agree with both of you can't control a lot.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2020, 12:15 pm

Hello. Welcome to Wrong Planet.