Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

CryosHypnoAeon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Oct 2015, 6:13 pm

Eric,

I'm definitely not schizophrenic, but not fully "autistic".
I seem to have more symptoms in the autism arena.

Not to mention, many psychologists and researchers suspect the autism spectrum and the schizotypy spectrum are related, or are in fact one spectrum.

So, at least in my case, I think "schizotypal autism" is an accurate diagnosis.

nouse
Raven
Raven

15 Nov 2015, 7:04 am

I definitely have lots of schizotypal symptoms. I'm actually very irrational person although my speech is logical but disorganized. It is not rule bounded and more like loose connectivity. I have made math professor mad at me because I tend to skip things (resulting right answer). It is quite logically creative. I don't give proofs it is more like intuition. Natural sciences (like physcis with lots of equations... go figure) are much easier than math because they are not nearly as strict.

It can be sluggish cognitive tempo as well. I don't know really. I'm very funny person unintentionally and intentionally. I feel huge discomfort around people. It is not real paranoia it is like mix between avoidance and knowing that your thinking is very weird. It makes collaboration hard. Because I don't follow them and they don't follow me. One exception: I'm expressive and quite extroverted. In SPQ-A I find lots of items that I can accept with exception to that I have a reality check of some sort.

Anyways, I have read Theodore Millon's book: Personality Disorders in Modern Life. I identify myself a lot with its descriptions under schizotypal personality/eccentric.

Psychosis simulation

Those scenes certainly rings a bell.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2015, 7:44 am

alex wrote:
Welcome. From what I've gathered, schizotypal autism is just autism. According to Wikipedia it's only recognized in a couple countries (russia and finland). It's definitely not in the DSM.

i was also tentatively diagnosed schizoid, but i have no affinity with the schizotypal mindset.

alex wrote:
I don't see how magical thinking couldn't be present in someone with autism.

magical thinking is something i can understand but not identify with. superstition and "vibes" and other esoteric and tenuous pseudo realities are not real to me. i can not understand how someone can believe clairvoyants and crystal ball readers and tarot card purveyors. everything has a cause as far as i believe, and i believe it instinctively.
causes must have direct effects that promote other causation, but vibes and souls and superstition have no inherent substance beyond conjecture, so i do not count them as real.

alex wrote:
Originally autism was misdiagnosed as psychosis, childhood psychosis, schizoid personality disorder, and "childhood schizophrenia."

my doctor when i was a child told me much about the history of the idea of autism. autism is confusable with schizophrenia without a refined appraisal. autism and shizophrenia have in common a flat emotional affect and an emotional disconnection with people.
in schizophrenia however, the flat emotional affectation is due to depersonalization which is the opposite of ultra-personalization which is a hallmark of autism, and ultra-personalization is in essence a purity that does not want not be affected by personality integration, due to repletion of curiosity in that sense, because "one's own self is all that can be real" (as perceived).

psychosis is the propensity for amplified gullibility in a central sense of reasoning. psychosis is typified by delusions and also hallucination (auditory and visual and olfactory) that is believed to be real by sufferers.
psychotic people are not rescued by proof that their ideas are delusional. they can not see proofs. psychotic people have thought disorders and have a very hard time i guess because of that.
autistic people (at least me) are not prone to external influences and ideas, and also are not paranoid about things that are not possible in reality.

alex wrote:
Doctors used these terms because they mistakenly believed that the children's odd behaviors were caused by delusions, when in reality this was not the case.

an example of misdiagnosed delusions when i was about 9.

i used to fly a small airfix plane i built to school every day. i had to walk to school because my mother and father told me i had to.

i used to place this airplane next to my nose so i could see down it's wing, and i walked to school in a very slow fashion because i was imagining the real speed scale that would be visible from the wing of my toy plane, and i accounted for the grass on the sidewalk as palm trees, so i let the grass pass under the visual horizon of my toy plane's wing at the same speed that largish palm trees would pass under the wing of a real plane.
i had to walk slowly to achieve this effect.

meanwhile, i was being observed by authorities and it was conjectured that i must believe something that is not true in order to follow such a slow path and be so mentally absorbed on my way to school.

it was accepted by my doctors that i had a reasonable mindset regarding my behaviour that was not in the realm of psychosis.

anyway, i am tired of talking about this and now i will look for something else to talk about.

nouse
Raven
Raven

16 Nov 2015, 3:30 pm

Seems interesting.
As a boy I usually imagined flying.

What about if I'm just dreaming?

What about all this what we experience is just part giant series of simulations?

What happens if I don't wake up?

Can you be sure that you can not feel pain in your dreams?

What if murderer is around the corner? They do not need rationality to do it.

Am I real? Are other people robots? Is this reality giant set up for me? (before Truman Show was released into the wildness)
When my mother died I frequently thought that she faked her death. When my grandmother died I frequently dreamed about that she was alive and had bit of hard time telling it the truth apart when I was awake at times.

What if I turn into God? That would suck in a way. Life of a Jesus... :)

I have strange ability to predict people common thoughts about things. They are easy to decipher in advance. I don't claim to be mind reader.

What if I can turn myself to a <insert animal here>?
8O

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2015, 12:09 pm

Recently diagnosed ASD Asperger's type at 58. About the sound thing - yes, I get that and have had versions of it all my life, now it is often the sound of massed violins in an avant garde style, like music from another planet playing backwards.

My theory is that it is like a sound equivalent of pareidolia, which in my case is seeing faces in things in an often startling and paranoid manner.

Mixed in with anxiety these effects can mimic the inner sense of being at the portals of madness, but it never happens.

CryosHypnoAeon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Nov 2015, 6:00 am

Alexanderplatz wrote:
Recently diagnosed ASD Asperger's type at 58. About the sound thing - yes, I get that and have had versions of it all my life, now it is often the sound of massed violins in an avant garde style, like music from another planet playing backwards.

My theory is that it is like a sound equivalent of pareidolia, which in my case is seeing faces in things in an often startling and paranoid manner.

Mixed in with anxiety these effects can mimic the inner sense of being at the portals of madness, but it never happens.

CryosHypnoAeon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Nov 2015, 6:08 am

Seems my posts aren't showing up (the part I write), but the quote shows up , hmmm.

What's up with that ?

CryosHypnoAeon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Nov 2015, 6:10 am

It's subtle s**t like this that gets my paranoid juices flowing.
And understandably.

Seems like someone is trying to censor me or something.

I wrote a whole response to Alexander, and it's not even there.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2015, 7:55 pm

The effect has an atmosphere round it a bit like Solipsism, the sense that the world is not real.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 12:10 pm

Alexanderplatz wrote:

The sounds, that occurs sometimes but are not frightning, after moving to the country I could here sounds that couldn't possibly be, people talking, walking, doors, television-sounds etc for years. Sometimes I hear sounds of talking (like radio) but switching off an amplifyer gets rid of that.
Also I see easily faces or people in other objets, but that's more funny than frightning, maybe its energy that get visualised that way, or maybe not, whatever.
Then there's the moving things in the outer boundaries of peripheral vision, but that's for all or most people, that's where fear sneaks in, knowing that and to a degree learning to focus and not move the eyes too much/all the time helps a lot and I suppose could help adressing anxiety.
Maybe aspies are more like horses and could be better with blinkers. :wink:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2016, 5:32 pm

I hear the sounds of talk radio in the whirr of my HEPA filter running at night. I see the faces of people in clock faces, IOW a certain juxtaposition of minute/hour hands will create different faces staring at me as I stare at the clock face. the second hand position is akin to if they are wearing makeup or glasses or different hair. in my old windows 98SE puter power supply fan I hear the "music of the spheres" or heaven, like a massive otherworldly chorale singing an indian-style minimalist tune.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2016, 5:10 pm

That portion of Neurotribes describing autism in Russia was fascinating. Sukhareva also said that the young "odd ducks" she studied improved significantly as they grew up. Many were very intelligent and had enormous potential for continuing improvement.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 12:19 pm

I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome in 2008 (when I was about 17 years old), I was diagnosed with schizotypal disorder when I was 23 (in 2015). I have also diagnosis of OCD.

For me my symptoms do not fit to the description of Mendelsohnn's syndrome or to "classical" ASD.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2016, 11:13 am

nca14,

Your avatar is cute! Are those your cats?

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Dec 2016, 11:12 pm

I was suspected of having schizophrenia before my ASD diagnosis. I was asked often if I was having delusions/hearing things/seeing things and I'm 100% that doesn't happen to me. Anything I see or hear that is unusual is related to sensory processing.

neurotypicalET
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jan 2017, 4:18 pm

If magical thinking were the core trait of schizotypal personality disorder...then I would be one of the least schizotypal person in my country....because almost everybody in my country believes in the supernatural.... Like howling like a dog is supposed to be bad because it summons evil spirits.If somebody would only say that it is bad because it's annoying... Then I might relate to that.
So... to me atleast, being diagnosed with schizotypal autism is an indication of living in a schizotypal society....

Last edited by neurotypicalET on 16 Jan 2017, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.