Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Dargo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Sep 2015, 8:50 pm

I'm basically what you expect from a nerd who is really into Science fiction and fantasy, and apparently that includes having no social skills. I've spent about the last 8 years trying to ignore the asperger diagnosis I got as a teenager, but the longer I spend trying to be normal, the more obvious it is that I'm not going to be as normal as I try to be.
I guess I signed up for this website to see if I could meet some people who were dealing with some of the same problems I have.
So, greetings. I'm into reading, video games, tabletop games, and basically all the things I should have grown out of. I don't eat anything that might have been conscious, but I'm not going to bother myself with what others do. I have a few good friends but barely remember how we became friends. I think I'm pretty good at writing when I try to be, but I really not as good at doin' the grammar. Watchmen is the best thing I've ever read.

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2015, 8:55 pm

Hey Dargo welcome. :sunny:

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2015, 9:00 pm

A farscape fan huh?

Anyway welcome to the forum, I also have tried to be normal by replicating other peoples (usually NT's) behaviours, following their example, but the longer I try, the more separated I get from my own existence, like my soul is being split between reality and fantasy. I use games to separate myself from reality from the stresses that work can have, even though i'm unemployed. Again in the same boat as you I would think as having little to no social skills, social anxiety, I was also really into science fiction / space, but didn't do well in science so I think any job in that field would purely be a hobby and not as a career. I'm just stuck in the IT career path at the moment with no idea what to do next.

Elfwink
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Sep 2015, 9:12 am

Welcome.

I just want to say, you are never too old to play games, or imagining you are a wizard.

Uncle
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2015, 9:35 am

Dargo wrote:
I'm basically what you expect from a nerd who is really into Science fiction and fantasy, and apparently that includes having no social skills. I've spent about the last 8 years trying to ignore the asperger diagnosis I got as a teenager, but the longer I spend trying to be normal, the more obvious it is that I'm not going to be as normal as I try to be.
I guess I signed up for this website to see if I could meet some people who were dealing with some of the same problems I have.
So, greetings. I'm into reading, video games, tabletop games, and basically all the things I should have grown out of. I don't eat anything that might have been conscious, but I'm not going to bother myself with what others do. I have a few good friends but barely remember how we became friends. I think I'm pretty good at writing when I try to be, but I really not as good at doin' the grammar. Watchmen is the best thing I've ever read.

Hey Dargo, i am new here too. I am 39 years young ;) and i too have had the same difficulties all my life, only recently a Councillor came to the conclusion of an aspergers diagnosis, might have had something to do with the fact i in my words, felt like an alien sent here to observe, always in my own bubble, never quite having a full connection with anyone. Knowing i was different but didn't know why! :) I too have been where you are at and still am, playing the NT game of life, expending energy to fit in, and days you haven't got the energy people feel you have almost a split personality! haha or people telling you to be yourself and not to try too hard, when in essence you are being yourself, just they cant handle it! again, haha... What i am learning, as Tony Atwood has mentioned, is there are times you have to play the NT game of life, but in essence just be yourself :)... it is better to be yourself and not have some people want to know you than not being yourself and still people not wanting to know you! You will never please everybody in life and that is the same for every human being on the planet... just rejection can be a little harder and a little more confusing for some of us than others... I could go on, but will hold back the reigns ;) The biggest form of relief right as of this moment in your life is that you no longer have to feel alone! you really are not the only person that feels the way you do, but you have come to a central place where your feelings are common place within these forums... Welcome :)

thatsrobrageous
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Sep 2015, 10:11 am

Hello,

I have done the same stuff when I was around my early teen years. I would ignore my diagnosis and try to fit in with the crowd. I found that to be detrimental to myself, so I do me. I had endless amounts of bulls**t and still do because I'm not what particular people want me to be. I will never be a particular fit. This goes out to my schools, my places I worked, and the circles of friends I had. Both neurotypicals and aspies have confronted me with wanting to fit in with them. Its funny how people from both spectrums still have the "you are on our side or not" mentality.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Sep 2015, 11:46 am

Welcome to WP, Dargo. I feel much the same. You'll find good company here.

Enjoy!

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2015, 2:14 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Dargo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Sep 2015, 7:27 pm

Uncle wrote:
Dargo wrote:

Hey Dargo, i am new here too. I am 39 years young ;) and i too have had the same difficulties all my life, only recently a Councillor came to the conclusion of an aspergers diagnosis, might have had something to do with the fact i in my words, felt like an alien sent here to observe, always in my own bubble, never quite having a full connection with anyone. Knowing i was different but didn't know why! :) I too have been where you are at and still am, playing the NT game of life, expending energy to fit in, and days you haven't got the energy people feel you have almost a split personality! haha or people telling you to be yourself and not to try too hard, when in essence you are being yourself, just they cant handle it! again, haha... What i am learning, as Tony Atwood has mentioned, is there are times you have to play the NT game of life, but in essence just be yourself :)... it is better to be yourself and not have some people want to know you than not being yourself and still people not wanting to know you! You will never please everybody in life and that is the same for every human being on the planet... just rejection can be a little harder and a little more confusing for some of us than others... I could go on, but will hold back the reigns ;) The biggest form of relief right as of this moment in your life is that you no longer have to feel alone! you really are not the only person that feels the way you do, but you have come to a central place where your feelings are common place within these forums... Welcome :)

Thanks. It's nice to be understood, even if it is just on a forum online.

Uncle
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2015, 3:43 am

Your Welcome :) in the same boat bud! i feel yah! :)