Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ProbablyOverthinkingThisUsername
Raven
Raven

24 Sep 2015, 10:08 pm

I just joined, though I have been lurking for a bit before (like I usually do). I was diagnosed with Asperger's as a kid, and generally grew up being kind of ashamed of it. Which, on the one hand I learned quite well to fake being "normal", if somewhat nerdy, but, long story short I realized in college that I'm actually quite unhappy living life in constant fear of people "finding out" that I'm different... so now I'm trying to come to better terms with, and gain a greater understanding of what I am.

Edit: Oh that's irritating, my username ends up overlapping the post time... that is going to bother me. But, it apparently can't be changed, so I may as well try to be pragmatic about it.

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2015, 10:45 pm

Hey ProbablyOverthinkingThisUsername welcome. :sunny:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 1:43 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

AsahiPto17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Sep 2015, 2:34 pm

Welcome to WP =^..^=

btw, you may be able to ask an admin to change your username if you want.

Pheon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Sep 2015, 3:53 am

Coming to terms with being seen as different is not easy especially when one is younger. I was ashamed of who I was and tried to act normal for decades before being diagnosed in my 50s when things went seriously going wrong for me. The good news is that there is now much better understanding of ASD. I recently finished reading Steve Silverman's book "Neurotribes" which gives an account of how thinking about autism has changed over the the last hundred years or so - it's deeply shocking what was done to people for most of the 20th century but a new and more hopeful era seems to have dawned.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 11:40 am

Hi and welcome, POTU !

: )

ProbablyOverthinkingThisUsername
Raven
Raven

26 Sep 2015, 1:12 pm

Pheon wrote:
Coming to terms with being seen as different is not easy especially when one is younger. I was ashamed of who I was and tried to act normal for decades before being diagnosed in my 50s when things went seriously going wrong for me. The good news is that there is now much better understanding of ASD. I recently finished reading Steve Silverman's book "Neurotribes" which gives an account of how thinking about autism has changed over the the last hundred years or so - it's deeply shocking what was done to people for most of the 20th century but a new and more hopeful era seems to have dawned.

I have this book, and have been meaning to read it, but at the moment I have quite the reading list. I'll get to it eventually :).

So, are you saying that acting normal is not necessarily a good thing from a mental health standpoint? I hadn't thought about that before.