Yes - Non-prescribed 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Both prescribed and non-prescribed drugs 21%  21%  [ 11 ]
No 19%  19%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 53

BobbyKr
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Oct 2015, 5:01 am

When I went to a psychiatrist and explained my condition (with no precise diagnosis at the time), I was given some pills from the drawer (that was locked) and not even told what is it or whatnot... Just 'Take this and take it so and so'. I rejected and late diplomatically suggested I'd 'think about it'... When I came the next time (I was originally asked to come after doing some psychological tests with another doctor), the psychiatrist told me 'Why do you come here if you reject treatment?' Well, I still think I did right in not taking the medicine. I do realize that my condition (especially the OCD part of it) is severe if not extreme most of the time, but I somehow imagine it to be brave and 'right' to abstain from medication, since, first of all, it is a drug and usually causes lots of side effects, secondly, it impairs your actual vision of the world- a thing I really do not see as preferable. I've read "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley, where the population is drugged and controlled and one character, John the Savage, rejects it and instead tries to lead an austere and ascetic way of life, going as far as to even torture himself... Not that I relate that much to that character, yet I feel that using prescribed medication that alters your mental perception is bad by definition. It's a way that the society 'disinfects' you as a suspected person. On the other hand, I have read about experiments with LSD suggesting it used as a cure for OCD, not that I have an opinion on that...

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2015, 4:55 am

My mirtazapine dosage has now been increased from 15mg to 30mg.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2015, 7:32 pm

Yes, quite a few. For depression, anxiety, acid reflex, insomnia and high blood pressure (due to stress).

mental
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Oct 2015, 10:18 am

I take 1 mg Abilify. plus several hypertension medications

shinkansen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Feb 2016, 9:28 am

Butterfly88 wrote:
Yes, my psychiatrist prescribes me an anti-depressant, an anti-anxiety med, and a mood stabilizer.

What mood stabiliser do you take ? How do you get on with it ?

Last year, things got to the stage where my GP decided to prescribe the anti psychotic drug Olanzapine (Zyprexa). I have found this effective in maintaining a steadier mood.

I also take the pyscho-stimulant slow release methylphenidate Concerta XL for ADHD.

Titan_plated
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Feb 2016, 6:42 am

Slowly weaned myself off zyprexa. So far so good. I am in regular contact with my doctor. I think she misdiagnosed me, but she often shares a good advice and that is all that is really relevant. I am fully aware of the possibility of psychotic relapse, therefore i take whole this process with caution.

Katherington
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Feb 2016, 11:40 am

I am on one ADHD medication, and two different Antidepressants for depression and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I also take melatonin to help me sleep, and iron for anemia. I also have a prescription for Ativan, a sedative, for emergencies.