Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

MonsterCrack
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2015, 6:30 pm

I'm 16, I'm male, and 5 foot, 7 and 1/2 inches, and I weigh 205 pounds... How do I lose weight, when I'm also out of shape?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2015, 7:27 pm

It's a two-step process.

1) Eat less.

2) Exercise more.

Basically, you have to expend more caloric energy than you consume.

But if you are looking for excuses to stay out of shape, then come back after a dozen or so members have given their favorite half-baked excuses as to why "Eat less / Exercise more" allegedly could not possibly work.

:roll:

D0gbert
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Sep 2015, 8:52 pm

Cutting out/minimizing fat in diet goes a long way as well. You basically want to force the body to use up the surplus fat. Reducing carbs will also help, but as you are only 16, don't cut down on proteins, as you are still growing.

If you get hungry easily, try eating fibrous stuff - fruit, whole grain stuff. Fills up easily.

Not to offend, but judging by the height and weight, chances are you aren't very physically fit. So start with lighter exercise etc. Go for a walk after a meal etc.

I find swimming good as well. Not as tiring as jogging (i can't run).

I was in the same boat in the past: combination of can't be arsed and depression meant I reached almost the same weight as you. (similar height + Asian, though broad shouldered, but still unhealthy...)

Now, I hike, swim, take walks and judo, and managed to stay around 180 lb without much effort. Of course I still have to replace snacks with fruit and cereals.

Easier + healthier to lose weight now than wait till your older. By then, you have to deal with a long list of complications associated with being overweight...

P.S. Don't obsess over BMI too much though. A fairly uselessness metric on health as it pretty much portrays fit, heavy-boned, broad-shouldered people as "overweight" every single time.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2015, 12:58 am

I'd suggest running. Run as far as you can until you can't each day and continue doing that until you're in shape. It'll probably take a few months of this and the first week or two will be the hardest part because it'll probably be discouraging. Humans have been running on two legs for hundreds of thousands of years, it's what we're built to do. Also eat better and possibly less, I dunno what you're eating habits are.

Hypnotized
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Sep 2015, 3:52 am

I'm trying to lose wieght, too. I'm 5,5ft tall and I weigh 176lbs. (or 168cm - 78kg)
These are steps I'm taking to lose weight:

1) Eat something small every 2-3hrs. It's better to eat 6 small portions a day than to eat 3 big ones. As an example I'll copypaste one day from my food diary:

7:15 - Muesli with milk (because I like milk way better than yoghurt)
10:35 - An apple
12:35 - A slice of bread with cheese
16:00 - An apple
17:30 - Potatoes, spinach and chicken (max 2 scoops of potatoes and spinach)
19:30 - An orange

2) Try to drink as much water as you can. Sure, it's okay to drink soda every now and then, but water really helps when you want to lose weight.

3) In addition to 1: Keep a food diary. Put down everything you eat and mark everything healthy green and everything unhealthy red. This way you'll be aware of the unhealthy things you eat which makes you able to turn them into green marked products.

4) Track your weight every 5-7 days. If you start to see progress of weight loss, it'll keep you more motivated to continue putting effort into it.

5) Make exercise fun. Running or something like that may not sound fun and therefore you won't be motivated to do it. But something else might be more suited for you. In my case: Fitness dancing. I can find many videos on Youtube about fitness dancing and they've been a great help for me.

---

Well, this is what's been helping me so far, I have tried it before, and I lost five pounds in just a little over a week. People say my weight is really instable though, so it may not be the same for you. Good luck with losing weight!

Nbly
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Oct 2015, 6:02 am

You are both breaking habits and creating habits at the same time. Recognize that this is hard and go all in. When you have a bad or off day, don't quit. Pick up and continue the plan. Over time, the bad days become less and the good days become more. Watch out for self loathing.
Hold yourself to a standard and use any support you can. If you don't have anyone you want to use as your support, start a topic here and let us know how you are doing.
Week by week try to add 10% to your exercise. Your mind will tell you to quit. Also, given this condition, any distractions will tense you up and take away energy. Block outside and inside distractions however you can (for me headphones, hard tempo music).
Also, if you have a high tolerance or insensitivity to pain, watch out for injuries.
Good luck

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 6:14 am

- Don't eat carbohydrates late at night - this does not exclude fruit
- Drink more water
- Become more active
- Keep a record of your calorie consumption each day
- Avoid refined carbohydrates & sugars, soft drinks + alcoholic beverages
- Eat "whole" foods such as beans, sweet potatoes, kale and nuts

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 6:43 am

I don't agree on the skipping fat bit - unless you eat inordinate amounts of it, which is quite possible if you live in North America. Recent metastudies show little support for the idea that cutting down on fat in favor of carbs or proteins is a good idea. Too much protein is bad for your liver, and it turns to fat anyway. Too much simple carbs mess with your blood sugar, which lead to a list of health problems too long to go into here, in addition to making you overeat.

The trick is to exchange simple carbs with complex carbs, and saturated fats with unsaturated fats.

Notice that foodies generally aren't fat.

Get your mom to teach you to cook.The Turkish kitchen is famous for its use of vegetables.

Eat smaller portions. Eat from smaller plates. Don't watch tv while you eat. Don't snack. Walk a lot, and walk fast.

The reason I can say all this is that I lost a lot of weight without any effort. All it took was focusing on eating healthy food over a long period of time. I've never counted a calorie in my life, nor gone hungry.

Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 8:11 pm

To long;didn't read: Use IIFYM.com's calculators, get MyFitnessPal on smart phone (or use website), put in IIFYM info, get food scale, measure food, find physical hobby.

To lose bodyfat, you need to consume less calories than you use. Simple, right? For a lot of people just counting calories and measuring food is enough. For a lot of people, myself included, that isn't enough. I'm a lover of food and I like to eat, so I have to adjust my diet to that. Also, if you don't love your diet, you're not going to stick with it. So, it's important to find a diet that allows you to be satiated, is something you like and can stick with consistently (that is the most important part of any program) for a long period of time.

Now... Firstly, fill out this calculator (it stands for 'If It Fits Your Macros'). When it asks your activity level, put sedentary, because you're trying to find out your BMR and your BMR is how much calories you use at rest, just to survive. Once you have that number, try not go below it. You'll be miserable and you will pig out. It'll also give your TDEE and other recommendations.

After figuring out what you need to survive, find or create a diet that you can stick with. If you have a smart phone, you can download the MyFitnessPal app, which will help you track your macros (which you can figure out at the website I posted). MFP works best if you have a food scale.

Now, you need to find a physical hobby. I say hobby, because exercising for the sake of exercising tends to be a chore and you burn out after awhile. But if you go at it as a hobby, you'll more likely keep with it, do the appropriate research, and make realistic goals, even after to you accomplish your original goal. For some its running, swimming, biking, weight lifting, powerlifting, bodybuilding. There is so many to choose from that you are bound to find something that you love.

With that said, what worked for me was low carb/keto diet and walking every day. I lost 20lbs and built a decent amount of muscle. I'm now sticking with a low calories healthy diet with fruits and veggies and I'm trying to get into running via Couch-2-5k. I say trying, because shin splints is kicking my butt good. I'll probably return to the lowcarb just because of how much I enjoyed it and how it worked.

If you have any questions or want resources, I'm more than happy to help out.

SwissPagan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2015, 5:20 am

or change what you eat. cutting out sugars will go a long way.

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2015, 4:10 am

Cancer seems to work for me. Can't eat and projectile vomiting.

So I'm never in a rush

elladylan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Oct 2015, 12:31 am

Breakfast: omelette 2 eggs with tomato and pepper and onion; fishing; Cup of coffee with cream and sugar.
Mid-morning snack: 1 cup low fat cottage cheese with some grapes. 2 tsp sunflower seeds.
Lunch: Chicken Salad Wrap; Salad with fat-free dressing; Cup milk fat pre-workout snack: low fat yogurt Cup. banana dinner: rice grains with grilled chicken. vegetables steam artificial snack: small amount of nuts; fruit; Cup nonfat milk

A few more tips to help: VenusFactorScamReview