Page 2015 of 4092 [ 65462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 ... 4092  Next

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 3:04 pm

Actually, to be fair and less hard on myself, I often read subtleties in tone of voice. Once we go into unspoken agendas or chains of command or hidden truths or other 'games' though, I start to need very direct answers to direct questions. If I feel I shouldn't ask directly, I'll often ask advice from someone else who knows the situation, or I'll try to fill a friend in as best I can.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 3:09 pm

Thanks everybody, I've just been under a lot of social pressure. :/ :heart:

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Froya
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 3:15 pm

DataB4 wrote:
Actually, to be fair and less hard on myself, I often read subtleties in tone of voice. Once we go into unspoken agendas or chains of command or hidden truths or other 'games' though, I start to need very direct answers to direct questions. If I feel I shouldn't ask directly, I'll often ask advice from someone else who knows the situation, or I'll try to fill a friend in as best I can.

Yes I can imagine you can be extra aware of tone of voice. Do you notice a difference in communication when you talk to other blind persons, rather than talking to seeing people? Also I am a bit hesitant asking about your blindness, as I don't know if you like that or not..

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 3:34 pm

Hmm, maybe subtle differences, like, they'll bother to tell me if they have their hand out to shake. They won't nod or gesture and then forget I can't see them, as sighted people sometimes do. I'm happy to answer questions about blindness. I get tired of it mainly when I get asked the same questions over and over. This question is a new one Froya. :)

Froya
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 3:44 pm

Oh ok :) I can't know what other people ask unfortunately. A time back, when I was thinking about you actually, I did reflect about if someone who is born blind can "see" in their imagination?

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 3:47 pm

I have no concept of vision. I know shape, size, proportion, texture, distance, through other senses or by imagining what it would be like to hold a large object in my hand to scale. I have no concept of color except the poetic ways that sighted people often talk about it.

Froya
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 4:06 pm

Yes, I thought it maybe was something like that. Maybe you are capable of treasuring the other senses on a deeper level then seeing people are. Maybe you are more aware of subtle things, such as the wind touching your skin, and feeling the warmth from the sun for example. I would imagine that would be the case. I would imagine when you come to a new place you notice the smells, the sounds and how it feels sort of. Thank you for answering my questions :)

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 4:11 pm

Sighted people are just as capable. They may choose not to, or they may focus on their vision, but they are capable.

Blind people are also just as capable of ignoring all those subtleties as sighted people. :lol:

Froya
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 4:15 pm

Yeah, that's true. I guess I'm romanticising it :P

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 4:23 pm

Maybe a little. It's a common reaction. :) That said, learning to travel, cook, clean, read, and process other information does force you to pay more attention to other senses in absence of vision. I'm sure that sighted people have little idea what traffic patterns sound like. They probably haven't learned to feel different textures of meat, in different stages of being cooked, under their forks or knives. And they would rarely be so motivated as to learn to identify the sounds of certain vehicles that regularly give them a ride.

Froya
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 4:38 pm

No I hadn't thought about those things.. :) I actually thought it would be impossible to make food using a regular oven, because of the risks of getting burned. You are right, I don't know how traffic patterns sounds like. In the risk of sounding patronizing, I'm impressed of all the things you can do. :)

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 12:00 am

so my nephew, from whom i excuse many angry misconceptions due to him having been severely mentally and physically abused by his father, posted some racist misinformation on facebook. i gave him some facts. he swore at me and blocked me. gonna make for some awkward family gatherings.

1Biggles1
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 12:10 am

^Sorry to hear that Cathy :( Yeah, unfortunately when one has created an ideology that they feel comfortable with, no matter what proof or logic one brings to a discussion they will ignore it or create aggressive... As i have mentioned and has been mentioned before. One is not born with these ideologies, it is taught... Wander if the parents are an influence as with the abuse one could wander if also had out there ideologies? or the people of whom he hangs with? Hope he wakes up sooner rather than later..

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 12:18 am

1Biggles1 wrote:
^Sorry to hear that Cathy :( Yeah, unfortunately when one has created an ideology that they feel comfortable with, no matter what proof or logic one brings to a discussion they will ignore it or create aggressive... As i have mentioned and has been mentioned before. One is not born with these ideologies, it is taught... Wander if the parents are an influence as with the abuse one could wander if also had out there ideologies? or the people of whom he hangs with? Hope he wakes up sooner rather than later..

his father is a worse racist. my nephew has an asian friend who won't enter my nephew's house because she doesn't want to be abused by my brother-in-law.

1Biggles1
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 12:23 am

Oh.. dear, sounds like he is in conflict with himself... What terrible parents.. Sorry to hear that! Not a brother or sister of your by any chance? Dont meant to sound rude, just kinda saying it for what it is... I dont get that sort of thing myself...

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 12:27 am

1Biggles1 wrote:
Oh.. dear, sounds like he is in conflict with himself... What terrible parents.. Sorry to hear that! Not a brother or sister of your by any chance? Dont meant to sound rude, just kinda saying it for what it is... I dont get that sort of thing myself...

i don't know how my sister puts up with him. we grew up in an integrated neighborhood. we know better first hand.