Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

OA_
Raven
Raven

05 Apr 2007, 10:10 pm

I can't work out if I am becoming less tolerant or in being myself am more abrasive and the usual ideals and 'act' or reactions accepted as polite are lacking in ways that make some uncomfortable.
Part of my doesn't care - I don't mean to offend, yet surely speaking ones mind should be a crime?

Anyone else ever had problems being direct or being concerned in hurting another persons feelings, and if so, how did you handle it?

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2007, 10:15 pm

I did it just now on MSN....Oops. But I try to understand, and it doesn't work. My opinion is my opinion and it won't change. :?

unnamed
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Apr 2007, 10:36 pm

I think we're always going to be much more blunt and honest than most people, and really all we can do is try to use as much tact as possible when we try to get something across to people. That's really, really hard!! I'm 41, and I still can't go an entire day without offending someone, and then getting mad myself because my intent was misunderstood. That's just a typical day for most of us. Two things are starting to happen at my age: I'm starting to slow down more before I open my mouth (also thanks to Ritalin!), and I'm basically just getting to the age where I don't give a f if I offend someone accidentally. If they are someone close to me, they know what's up with me and why I said it. I always apologize if I can see someone is upset. But as for acquaintances, strangers, etc. I just can't worry about them anymore! You'll find that the older you get, the less you care about these types of incidents. I've discovered that half the time the other person isn't even that upset, and I was just being overly concerned and paranoid due to so many bad past encounters. You'll be fine. Go easy on yourself!!

OA_
Raven
Raven

05 Apr 2007, 10:45 pm

unnamed wrote:
I think we're always going to be much more blunt and honest than most people, and really all we can do is try to use as much tact as possible when we try to get something across to people. That's really, really hard!! I'm 41, and I still can't go an entire day without offending someone, and then getting mad myself because my intent was misunderstood. That's just a typical day for most of us. Two things are starting to happen at my age: I'm starting to slow down more before I open my mouth (also thanks to Ritalin!), and I'm basically just getting to the age where I don't give a f if I offend someone accidentally. If they are someone close to me, they know what's up with me and why I said it. I always apologize if I can see someone is upset. But as for acquaintances, strangers, etc. I just can't worry about them anymore! You'll find that the older you get, the less you care about these types of incidents. I've discovered that half the time the other person isn't even that upset, and I was just being overly concerned and paranoid due to so many bad past encounters. You'll be fine. Go easy on yourself!!

Thank you. Sound, excellent, comforting advice. Am NT, not AS. Either way, sometimes the issues are the same. Thank you for your input. You helped me :)
Happy Easter

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2007, 11:05 pm

It depends on what kind of a person you are.